User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BOV recommendations

Go turbosmart kompact. Great BPV. Still get the loud BOV when on boost and compact as they say.

Finally someone is as far south as me lol, and yes I've seen the blonde in the black gen1

Hey mate I'm Dave might have seen you a while ago on robina parkway. I was pulled over while my mates skyline was being towed. (Failed 044 pump, take that bosch!) you blazed past with a quick flutter

Rule 1: Decide what you want it for. Of particular relevance, see my recent long post on:

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/gener...tml#post251260

Among a few others I have written. Search for blow off valve, dump valve, bypass valve, BOV, BPV
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 21-03-2013 at 01:21 PM.

5. Default

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum! All the way up in Darwin.... I just want the noise so I've taken the return pipe off the standard bov and blocked it properly. Now my engine light is on......

(A mate of mine who has an rx7 recommended this but with these new smart cars I don't know if it's such a great idea.)

Could my car be over boosting?

Just wondering what I should do?? Will this f*** my engine? I will be getting a proper bov shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by Becky Lee View Post
    Hi guys, I'm new to the forum! All the way up in Darwin.... I just want the noise so I've taken the return pipe off the standard bov and blocked it properly. Now my engine light is on......

(A mate of mine who has an rx7 recommended this but with these new smart cars I don't know if it's such a great idea.)

Could my car be over boosting?

Just wondering what I should do?? Will this f*** my engine? I will be getting a proper bov shortly.

Yes, its bad. Undo it immediately. Don't drive the car again until it's been undone.

If it has a check engine light, probably means it's not happy...

It will cause issues every time you shift under high boost (full throttle) conditions...

And don't listen to your mate. I'd say get a new mate, but he drives an RX7, so he gets a second chance

turbosmart kompact +1

As has been said on the forum many times over.
    You need a full recirculating BOV (no noise)
    Or a 50/50.
    Full vent to atmosphere is bad

11. Default

Recommendations for the most OEM looking BOV (that wouldn't be noticeable by insurance etc) that gives a little bit more induction noise. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by djKyoto View Post
    Recommendations for the most OEM looking BOV (that wouldn't be noticeable by insurance etc) that gives a little bit more induction noise. Cheers.
    None...
    BOV doesn't give induction noise...
    None look OEM either...

Sri gives induction noise and let's you hear the stock unit
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

13. Default

Thanks!
    Last edited by Becky Lee; 26-04-2013 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Becky Lee View Post
    Thanks! So basically I have to keep one that recirculates. This is annoying. Is there one particular one that people recommend? How much would I be looking at?
    Untuned, Full VTA causes the engine to run really rich on gear shifts... This can cause the car to dump excess fuel into the exhaust, which whilst can make cool back firing noises, isn't very good for O2 sensors and all exhaust parts

Full recirculation: forge
    Adjustable from full recirc to full vent to atmosphere: gfb or turbo smart

Looking at $300 or so

I'd suggest getting an SRI (pod filter), gives you turbo spool noises and hear the stock valve...
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

15. Default

That's great! Thanks for that. I'll check everyone's opinion on here first rather than my mate's :P

Welcome Becky. If you have your heart set on changing out the BOV the GFB Respons is pretty cool, looks as stock as possible, and fits like a stock one also. I.e doesn't protrude too far off the engine and knock the airbox.

Hers are video of their product plus an explanation of how they work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECkv...e_gdata_player

Alternatively as said already, go an SRI, but check your local laws as some states require it too be in an enclosure, or air box.

Sent from Samsung Note 2 LTE
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

Vta also equals fuel contamination in the oil.. Bad

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

18. Default

We can get away with pretty much anything here in Darwin. Thanks for the help

Is there any point to having a aftermarket BOV?

a stupid question, But I have one friend telling me they are pointless and another to get one and I quote "for the cool sound"

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbstar View Post
    Is there any point to having a aftermarket BOV?
    a stupid question, But I have one friend telling me they are pointless and another to get one and I quote "for the cool sound"
    If the stock valve is leaking under load then yes. Other then that not really. Not proven gains to be had with aftermarket....

Honestly if I had to change my BOV/BPV I would go full-retic. I already get enough sound throught the SRI
    SG9 XT: VF34 P20, Tomei headers, STI intercooler HSD coilovers, Brembos and much more...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast