User Tag List

Thread: Audible noise when changing 1st to 2nd ion car park on cold start

Default Audible noise when changing 1st to 2nd ion car park on cold start

As the title says......

something I have always noticed but never really thought about.
    Do others hear this?

not sure if its diff or gearbox.
    Kinda sounds like the cluth lever engaging and disengaging with the pedal/diff noise as the next gear grabs the clutch?

I'm not a mechanic so I hope I make kind of sense haha

once the car is warm I can not replicate the noise even if I tried. Diff and transfer case oils checked 1200kms ago at last service were a lovely honey colour.

Thoughts? Or am I just paranoid?

2. Default

Is it only on 1st gear to 2nd? Try and accel on first gear and then stop and accel again without changing gears to see if there's the same sound.
    Sounds like an engine mount to me, same thing happened to me. Cold start, when car jerks it makes this crunching sound.

It makes it when changing 1st to 2nd to 3rd. Never get fast enough to try other gears.
    it also does it when I just take my foot on and off the pedal without changing gears.
    Once the car is warm and I've driven out of my street/car park at work it won't make the sound anymore
    am I looking at mounts(seems weird mounts would only do it when cold and not all the time?)

or could it be something else like diff or gearbox and it stops making noise once the oil is warm?

4. Default

Definitely sounds like your mount. Happened to me exactly how you described it. Only when cold, after engine warms up it goes away.
    Is it a 6MPS or 3MPS? Mine was the driver's side mount that collapsed. There should be about 0.5cm gap between the metal and the rubber. If it's touching then yes it has collapsed.

Sounds like side engine mount to me. I have the same thing. I'd consider changing your mounts if you haven't already especially the rear engine mount but this issue sounds like the side mount

I am thinking about being cheeky and asking Mazda to change all my mounts (i will obviously supply aftermarket mounts) on my next service... Wonder how they will take it.

It's a 6 MPS.
    Whats the rough price for mounts?
    i need shocks too haha. This is getting expensive ......

8. Default

Rear mounts are different price to side mounts, I think I got my side mount for just under 200 but that's OEM mount and I know someone from Mazda. You can get aftermarket ones from SURE Motorsport, they just developed it.
    It was also DIY so it was free for labour

Side mount, I have a basically brand new driver side mount you can test if you like I had the same issues as you and the mount was busted.