User Tag List

Thread: Gen II - Gauge Pods - Where to buy?

Default Gen II - Gauge Pods - Where to buy?

Hi all,

Found some pics lying around on my comp. I must saved it from the net but cant remember where from.

Anyway, im wanting to install a Boost and Water Temp Gauge in a Gen 2.

However, I cant seem to find any aftermarket gauge pods that support gen 2's. (Direct fitments)

I want it to look exactly like this, if not, similar.

Can anyone suggest where to buy them?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	13718   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	007.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	13719   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	13720  

They are not that hard to make, if you are interested and have some time. However, you have to sacrifice your vent, or find a spare.

Someone in here made a really nice double-gauge pod using fibreglass. I made a tripple-gauge one just using the mounting cups that came with prosport gauges and some body filler from autobarn.

*edit* Ah, hah. Found it, by @jnt
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/showt...612#post132612

Sent from my evil apple using TapaCrash
    Last edited by Lachlan; 23-02-2013 at 04:58 PM.
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
    They are not that hard to make, if you are interested and have some time. However, you have to sacrifice your vent, or find a spare.

Someone in here made a really nice double-gauge pod using fibreglass. I made a tripple-gauge one just using the mounting cups that came with prosport gauges and some body filler from autobarn.

*edit* Ah, hah. Found it, by @jnt
    Dual Gauge pod & Gauge Install on my Gen 2 3 MPS

Is there a write up to follow. I've never done it before.

You got any pics or the gauges?
    09 Aluminium Silver MPS
    || Accessport - Stage 1 Tuned || COBB SRI + Airbox || Koni Yellows Sports || Eibach Pro-Kit || Corksport RMM || Graphite Wheels || DBA T3 Slotted Rotors ||
    || Vinyl Wrap Rear Valance || LED kit - Plates and Parkers || Windows Visors || Custom Plates ||

Not really. This might give you a guide on fibreglassing. http://www.joe250.com/cars/evo8/gaugepod/gaugepod.html
    If you aren't keen on fibreglass, then body putty is easy to use (and you can actually get fibreglass reenforced putty which is stronger, although I haven't used it).

The most important thing is to attach the cups together strongly and align them correctly. Once you have the basic frame, adding filler is easy. Don't rush anything, as small mistakes early on usually turn into big headaches later.

I simply got the standard mounting cups and glued them together. If you plan on using sunshades on your gauges, you will probably need them spaced out a little to fit. I did this with a bit of metal in between and a good amount of epoxy glue.
    (This is a finished pic, but it shows what I mean by the spacing)

Make sure that they are aligned properly before gluing. If you sit them on the dash where you want them to go, make sure they all point at your head, not up or down, or to either side (a small miss-alignment now will be much more obvious later on, particularly if you use covers over the gauges and/or gauges with illuminated rings like the prosport 'halo' series). Maybe even wire up the gauges and put them in to make sure that you are 100% happy with the look before going any further

I rushed this a bit and they didn't end up properly aligned. If I redo it, I'll probably attach them with small bolts instead, then they could be easily adjusted until they are perfect.

I then popped out the air vent and drilled through it (on the left hand side). Attached it to the bottom of the middle gauge with a small bolt and lots of glue. Again, proper alignment is the key.

Once they are all aligned and solid, you can start adding filler. Fill in the gaps between the gauges and between the gauge an the air vent. This is the creative part - just keep adding layers of filling till you get it to a shape that you like. This will likely involve filling, sanding, more filling, more sanding, but take your time and get it right. You want a perfect surface with absolutely no imperfections (I didn't first time and had to redo it).

Once you have the shape right, then it's time for painting. Pretty much follow the steps here: http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/showt...298#post247298

Most of the above is from my own mistakes, so hopefully you would end up with something much cleaner than I did in the end.

Good luck

Last edited by Lachlan; 25-02-2013 at 08:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
    Not really. This might give you a guide on fibreglassing. Cars - JOE250.com
    If you aren't keen on fibreglass, then body putty is easy to use (and you can actually get fibreglass reenforced putty which is stronger, although I haven't used it).

The most important thing is to attach the cups together strongly and align them correctly. Once you have the basic frame, adding filler is easy. Don't rush anything, as small mistakes early on usually turn into big headaches later.

I simply got the standard mounting cups and glued them together. If you plan on using sunshades on your gauges, you will probably need them spaced out a little to fit. I did this with a bit of metal in between and a good amount of epoxy glue.
    (This is a finished pic, but it shows what I mean by the spacing)

Make sure that they are aligned properly before gluing. If you sit them on the dash where you want them to go, make sure they all point at your head, not up or down, or to either side (a small miss-alignment now will be much more obvious later on, particularly if you use covers over the gauges and/or gauges with illuminated rings like the prosport 'halo' series). Maybe even wire up the gauges and put them in to make sure that you are 100% happy with the look before going any further

I rushed this a bit and they didn't end up properly aligned. If I redo it, I'll probably attach them with small bolts instead, then they could be easily adjusted until they are perfect.

I then popped out the air vent and drilled through it (on the left hand side). Attached it to the bottom of the middle gauge with a small bolt and lots of glue. Again, proper alignment is the key.

Once they are all aligned and solid, you can start adding filler. Fill in the gaps between the gauges and between the gauge an the air vent. This is the creative part - just keep adding layers of filling till you get it to a shape that you like. This will likely involve filling, sanding, more filling, more sanding, but take your time and get it right. You want a perfect surface with absolutely no imperfections (I didn't first time and had to redo it).

Once you have the shape right, then it's time for painting. Pretty much follow the steps here: How to: Paint car parts

Most of the above is from my own mistakes, so hopefully you would end up with something much cleaner than I did in the end.

Good luck

Thanks heaps for this valuable information.

I think i might be able to do this. Just unsure if i could find the time...

Assuming you have a boost and water gauge, Where did you tap into?
    Once again do you have pics of this?
    09 Aluminium Silver MPS
    || Accessport - Stage 1 Tuned || COBB SRI + Airbox || Koni Yellows Sports || Eibach Pro-Kit || Corksport RMM || Graphite Wheels || DBA T3 Slotted Rotors ||
    || Vinyl Wrap Rear Valance || LED kit - Plates and Parkers || Windows Visors || Custom Plates ||

Quote Originally Posted by YLDCRD View Post
    Thanks heaps for this valuable information.

I think i might be able to do this. Just unsure if i could find the time...

Assuming you have a boost and water gauge, Where did you tap into?
    Once again do you have pics of this?
    No worries.
    Tapatalk is being grumpy and not doing pics very well, so I'll try to put some up later via laptop.

Boost I tapped into the vac line just before the bov, where most people do.

The water temp is in the upper radiator hose that lies below the bov. I'm pretty sure that this is where the fluid leaves the engine and enters the radiator (maybe someone else can verify if this is right), but it gets no reading till the engine gets to opening temp and the thermostat opens. I used an adapter from prosport that works well, just cut hose, insert adapter, tighten clamps, insert threaded temp probe into adapter.

Here are the pics mate, sorry it took so long, have been busy.

Boost gauge tap and filter. I initially used the plastic t-piece that came with the gauge, but it just clogged the line and screwed with the bov and caused problems so i picked up a brass one from supercheap and it works great.

Water hose, adapter (blue piece) and probe (gold).

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by Lachlan; 02-03-2013 at 07:26 AM.