User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overhaul of the For Sale/Market section

Default Overhaul of the For Sale/Market section

Hi Everyone,

Over the coming weeks there will be an overhaul to the For Sale section of the forum.
    This will include updating of the rules and who can and cannot post in this section.

The exact details are still under discussion between the Admin and Moderation teams however, this is in response to a few recent sales where the purchasing members were not happy with the condition or the way the deal was handled.

Unfortunately the buying and selling of items through the site are 'buyer beware' and all caution should be taken to ensure any items you sell have a true description and if you are purchasing you promptly pay.

As a precaution from this date forward the team would like to stress the importance of using PayPal for transactions, where appropriate to ensure some protection.

Also - please be aware that as a seller, if your item descriptions are found to be un-true we can, and will terminate your membership. In addition, if asked by authorities we will disclose any required information to protect our other members.

Any further changes to the T&C's of the FS section will be communicated in the next fortnight or so.

Its a shame that these changes will need to be made, considering for most the part we are a very tight knit community and there have been no issues for so long.

Regards
    Justin
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

You could use a member sales number.
    Where the more you sell, the higher number you get. Like a Karma type thing.

The lower the number, the lower the valued item you can sell too maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post

Good Idea Troy.

Something like the eBay system of feedback.
    Not so much the written feedback comments, but, positive Vs negative ratings that can be viewed as part of the member's profile.
    MAZDA 2 DE GENKI
    PEDDERS SportsRyder lowered | KUMHO KU39 LeSport | OPAL Corsa 17" alloys
    CORKSPORT Short Shift plate, F&R strut brace, SRI & air duct | CUSTOM exhaust

What about a system where the money goes to a moderator, buyer receives product as described, moderator releases funds? Extra effort but handy on larger ticket items.

Default Re: Overhaul of the For Sale/Market section

Quote Originally Posted by Robmps View Post
    What about a system where the money goes to a moderator, buyer receives product as described, moderator releases funds? Extra effort but handy on larger ticket items.
    If we have to go to that point might as well close the section..

Simpler to use cod or PayPal
    Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

-= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post

It's a good idea but wouldn't stop the current issue we have seen. I will look into it, if such an add on exists for vb.

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD

We are unfortunately limited on what we can do due to the forum functionality, which doesn't help.

As for the Mods holding the funds, again not viable, I certainly don't have the time to be monitoring income and outgoing payments and making payments to people.

Sent from my SGS3 4G

I recon to sell an item provide the mods/admin with your details name/address and drivers lic. They ok you to put up thread

Quote Originally Posted by RedDjinn View Post
    I recon to sell an item provide the mods/admin with your details name/address and drivers lic. They ok you to put up thread
    None of us have time to do that Luke. If it came to that I'd just close the fs section.
    Unless it was a scan there is no way to know the details are legitimate.

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD

There should also be a stipulation that each item sold has an original pic taken, most ads here include no pic or link to a stock photo.

Good idea we will take it into consideration.

The idea of one person holding the funds was done on our friends at clubcj (lancer forum) it didn't end well.
    Photos of the product with user name was done by the last fraud sale, so that doesn't work.
    Making people pay before advertising I don't think will do anything. Paying say $50 to sell $2000 worth of product is a good investment.
    And in the winton scam it was done by a member with lots of non spam posts, and someone who had been on cruises and personally known to people.

Unfortunately there is too much scum in this world and not much you can do about it.

Good luck finding an answer

I agree brad.

We are just narrowing the opportunity essentially.
    Rules will be added - and it will most likely include the requirement to use paypal for transfers of over $250 or something to that effect.
    At least that way there will be some way to recover funds.

We all know others from interstate.
    We can ask friends to check the buyers product(s) if needed.

The forum staff should not need to be involved unless issues arise.
    It does state in the rules somewhere, buyers beware.

Some of the suggestions made would make the Trading Forum overly complex to moderate and monitor. People are asking too much of moderators. A trading forum on an online forum is an privilege - an added bonus - to a forum. When someone gets scammed (and there will always be scammers), it takes a lot of moderation/work to deal with. This is why many places don't even have one.

I'm a mod on Mactalk Australia, which has an active trading forum - we get a scammer once or twice a year. Usually it's because the buyer has been all too trusting and not done the usual checks one should do before making a sale. No matter how many rules you have in place there will always be an issue here and there.

Below are the trading forum rules on Mactalk, I think some of it might be appropriate here (ie. only allowing long-standing members to post, having each for sale item approved by a mod before sale,, having a pic of the item, no chatter, etc)

Selling is only permitted to established members of the community. This requires that you've already made 5 posts to the forums and have been a member for at least 45 days. People who sign up just to sell something can go elsewhere. Spam-post to get access and your forum access will be removed permanently.

All threads require moderator approval at all times. New threads wont show up until they've been approved. Threads will be approved if they meet the rules. If not, they will be deleted. So make sure your thread meets the requirements before you post it. This make sure for sale threads are clear and no-one gets confused.

Items must be second hand (or unwanted gifts/prizes if new, but please state this in your thread). The trading forums are not a commercial market place. This includes the wanted to buy forum. If someone posts a wanted to buy thread then only reply if your item is second hand or unwanted gifts/prizes.

The item must be yours and in your possession - no selling for friends/customers etc. This is to prevent people being stuffed around if the friend/customer/whoever sells it elsewhere.

Items must be legally sellable. Installed commercial software without the original disks and any serial numbers (eg: Mac OS X, MS Office etc) has no value and is not legal. No things like guns, other weapons, drugs, stolen items and the like. If you have any doubts, contact us.

Digital Items cannot be sold on MacTalk. Sales on MacTalk must be of physical items. Things such as digital licenses of software, game characters or currency, e-tickets for sports events or concerts cannot be sold here. Due to the grey area surrounding transfers of licenses, and some event companies not allowing tickets to be transferred we would rather not run the risk.

Items must only be advertised for sale here and not elsewhere at the same time. No links to eBay sales or other forums are permitted. We do check. If selling here doesn't work out, you can always contact us to close your thread and try elsewhere instead - just don't sell here and elsewhere at the same time.

Your post must have a photo of the item. Not a generic one off the, an actual photo you took of what you're selling. If you don't have a camera, too bad - go get one. Don't know how to post a picture? Learn how.

Include if you will allow pick up of the item. If do you allow pickup, please put in the vague area of where you live (Hawthorn, Melbourne for example).

Include your asking/ballpark price. Don't say "make an offer" - put in a price you would like to sell it at so people don't insult you with offers you will not sell at.

Include detailed information about the condition of the item. State if there are any major scratches, damage or failing components, whether you have the original box, manuals and accessories and their condition too.

You are permitted to make not more than one sequential post in a row, per 24 hours, as making a post "bumps" the thread to the top of the For Sale forum. If the last post in the thread currently is one you've made, not until the next day are you permitted to make another post to "bump" the thread. Examples of bump posts are things such as "Bump", "Bid noted", "PM sent", "Price lowered" or replies to buyers.

Comments in For Sale threads from anyone other than interested buyers are strictly forbidden and will be deleted immediately. The Trading Area is not a discussion forum. So no posts like "Oh wow I have one of these and they're awesome!". If you have a comment for the seller (and you're not buying) please send them a private message or email, especially regarding their asking price. You sound pathetic when trying to argue you can get it cheaper elsewhere when you aren't even buying it. It is not anyone's problem but the seller's if they are asking an insane price for something. We occasionally allow helpful comments regarding compatibility and suitability if requested by the seller when they don't know answers themselves. We much prefer people send a private message to the seller, so they can update their original post.

Get the details of who you are dealing with before handing over money! If you can get the phone number, name and address of who you are dealing with (particularly with large sums of money), you can contact them if something goes wrong. It is rare for people to be scammed on MacTalk, most of the time the seller is just lazy and just needs a reminder - phone calls work well. At the end of the day, if you are doing a big deal, I strongly recommend picking it up in person to avoid misunderstandings. You can also use escrow services for added security. Asking for things like receipts and serial numbers helps too.

If something is too good to be true, it is! Please be careful on the trading forums. Even though it is rare and 99.99% of MacTalk forum members are honest, there's always a rotten Apple in the basket. MacTalk hates seeing people be ripped off, but unfortunately, there's not much we can we can do to help and we hate that.
    Last edited by Byrd; 30-01-2013 at 09:42 AM.

Well documented

17. Default

I like the trading rules posted there Byrd. Makes things clear to the seller.

I agree with every point, especially the photos of said items, maybe with a small card with the sellers' username on it. Sort of a verification failsafe.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Teeth View Post
    I like the trading rules posted there Byrd. Makes things clear to the seller.

I agree with every point, especially the photos of said items, maybe with a small card with the sellers' username on it. Sort of a verification failsafe.
    This in theory should work. But CharlieDay did have a card with his username on @MUZZA 's RX8 Rims

The rims in the pic were perfect rims and they looked amazing. Unlike the ones received by Muzza

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

We already have a set of rules...

MPS Market rules of use

PLEASE NOTE: Any posts that do not abide by these guidelines will result in their deletion.

The purpose of this guide is to ensure that members who are buying/selling items through contacts that are found on this forum are able to do so in an efficient and civil manner. If you have any queries regarding the level of behaviour on this forum please PM any of the Forum Staff and we will ensure that your concern is looked upon.

This section is primarily intended for the sale of car related second hand/unwanted items. However, from time to time additional generic items can be posted as well. It is at the discretion of the forum staff as to whether a generic item is permitted or not.

Commercial or repeat selling is not allowed.

Section 1: General Buying/Selling

1. Who Can post new threads in this section?

Confirmed members are allowed to post "For Sale:" (for sale) threads in this section. A confirmed member has fulfilled the required 25 post threshold.

2. If you are selling an item ensure that the thread title is preceded with the appropriate prefix from the drop down box (this is compulsory):

“For Sale:” for items that are for sale
    “Group Buy:” for organised group buys
    “WTB:” for “Wanted To Buy” items
    “EOI:” for “Expression of Interest” items

Threads that are not sufficiently labelled may be edited at Admin/Moderator’s discretion. So please save us the time and hassle by doing it right the first time.

Do NOT create multiple threads relating to the same sale. If you have several items to sell please make ONE THREAD ONLY.

3. Use the following template for your advertisement. This MUST be used for all “For Sale” and “EOI” threads. Any threads not using this template will be removed.

Item: (A good, clear description of the goods)
    Item Condition: (Tread? No tread? Scratches etc....)
    Reason for selling: (This one isn't essential.....)
    Price and price conditions: It is COMPULSORY to list a price – don’t ask for offers, this isn’t an auction house. (List how much you want and if it's negotiable, not negotiable or if you will separate items)
    Extra Info: (Postage at buyers expense? Pickup only? etc.....)
    Pictures: (Again, not essential but assist with the sale.)

Copy and paste the following text into your thread to start it off, this format must be adhered to.

Item:
    Item Condition:
    Reason for selling:
    Price and price conditions:
    Extra Info:
    Pictures:

4. Keep the thread up to date - if you have changed your asking price, the contents of the sale, or additional information is available, please edit your original post to reflect accordingly. This is so members don’t have to sift through the entire thread for updates.

This also applies if you sell the item, or have sourced the item you are looking for – update the thread and one of the admin team know so that the thread can be locked accordingly.

5. Posting Items you do not own. This is not allowed under any circumstances. This includes “selling for a friend”.

6. “Bumping”. One (1) "bump" is allowed per day.

7. Be honest. Do not falsify information regarding the product you are selling. Make sure that your asking price is realistic and be prepared to answer questions regarding the product by other members.

8. All members are responsible for their own actions during the trading process.

Section 2: Behaviour

1. The MPS Market is open to any product/s within the boundaries of good taste and the Australian Law. Any posts that breach this rule WILL be moderated.

2. Off Topic Conversation – Off topic talk must be posted in the correct section and kept to a minimum. It is reasonable to ask seller questions regarding the sale item/s but keep on topic. Threads must not be hijacked.

The Trading Post section is intended for the discussion relating to buying/selling items only.

3. Conflict of interest – any replies that conflict the buyer’s sale (e.g. “this is a rip off I know where you can get these cheaper”, etc) will not be tolerated.

4. Ethics - Be ethical in all transactions made by you or on behalf of you.

5. Trademarks – all company names and trademarks found on the forum are property of their respective owners.

6. Commercial use – The MPS Market is intended for personal sales by members, we do not allow commercial or repeat selling on this forum.

7. Scams – A scam is considered fraud under Australian Law. If you are committed or are suspected of committing a scam any posts relating to the scam will be deleted. You membership with OzMPSclub will also be suspended.

8. Stolen goods – The trading of stolen goods on the forum or which uses the forum as a gateway to a market is strictly forbidden. Posts relating to such activities will be deleted and all users involved will have their accounts terminated. All IP addresses, which post to this forum are recorded in the server log along with a date & time stamp. These can be used to trace back to your ISP. With this information Police are able to issue a search warrant and investigate any parties suspected of illegal behaviour. If required under Law, OzMPSclub will assist with any Police Investigations regarding to the purchase or sale of stolen goods on this forum. You have been warned.

Section 3: Disclaimer

Whilst OzMPSclub.com and its operators take every care to screen the contents of the MPS Market, no part is taken in any stage of the buying/selling process.

When trading on this forum be sure to cover yourself against fraud. OzMPSclub recommends that its members take all measures to ensure that all their sales/purchases made here are legitimate before proceeding to trade.

OzMPSclub does not take any liability for any trading on this board or any of the actions made by its members.

Views taken by members do not reflect the views of the OzMPSclub or its operators.

Admin reserves the right to remove access to this section at any time for any reason.

Section 4: Admin’s Note

If you have any queries or comments relating to the contents of this guide do not hesitate to contact any of the forum staff via Private Message or by email.

Just a reminder that OzMPSclub or its administrators are not responsible for any trades conducted via these forums. We cannot determine the legitimacy of any buyers or sellers and as such all trades are conducted at your own risk. It is up to you to satisfy yourself with enough information to assist you should things go wrong. We are only interested in obtaining this information for our own benefit.

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD

20. Default Overhaul of the For Sale/Market section

Copy and paste from pga's trading post rules from 2004!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast