User Tag List

Thread: Noobie Questions

1. Default Noobie Questions

Hi All,

I am looking to by a mazda 6 MPS and am still in the process of doing some research.
    Looking at the MPS, it appears that it is the car for me in terms of a combination of luxury and performance.
    I am hoping some of the mazda 6 mps owners here may be able to provide some feedback and advice on things that cant really be found in reviews etc.
    - What kind of realistic fuel economy can i receive (booting it / gentle around town / highway)
    - Is the car easy to work on?
    - In terms of servicing, is anyone able to shed some light on standard servicing items and intervals. I have tried finding workshop manuals online but to no avail.
    - What common problems should i look out for when inspecting a mazda 6 MPS and what are the symptoms?

If anyone has any other input regarding purchasing one of these, any advice is appreciated

Thanks for your help in advance and hoping to be crusing around in my new MPS soon.

Cheers,
    Disco

welcome to the forum! i own an MPS 6, i'll try and answer your questions, but others might have better answers for you

1. I usually get around 11-12.5L/100km in mostly suburban driving, but you can get better depending how and where you drive
    2. depends what sort of work you mean, i replaced and relocated my air intake and intercooler with no problems relating to the car itself, an upgraded down pipe i got someone else to do for me when i had it tuned, cause it's apparently a huge PITA to do, but if you have a basic knowledge of how stuff works, the car is pretty easy to work on and do things to yourself.
    3. oil change probably every 5,000 kms or every few months, depends how anal you wanna be about it, do a proper service every 10,000-15,000 kms as well as the major ones when they're due
    4. most common is probably the diff, i bought mine and sheared two bolts off of it within two months... good idea to upgrade the diff and engine mounts, i'm yet to do it, but i'll get there soon, the other problem is the smoking turbo, i didn't have an issue with mine at first, but after the tune it got really bad so i'm looking to upgrade mine soon, apparently it's due to something being blocked with oil or an oil line is too thin or something, i'm not sure, i cleaned out my engine before i put new oil in and it seems alot better, so could have just been blocked somewhere... i haven't had any other issues with my car, but others might have some you should be aware of

hope that helps a bit, they're fantastic to drive! you'll love it if you get one