User Tag List

Thread: 2015 Mazda3 shows its shape

Default 2015 Mazda3 shows its shape

Filed under: Spy Photos, Budget, Hatchback, Mazda

Mazda's new Kodo design language is set to quickly spread across the automaker's entire lineup, judging by these spy shots of the next-generation Mazda3 that show some very familiar styling cues. No matter, we're impressed with what Mazda has done on the CX-5 crossover and Mazda6 sedan in terms of design, and we're happy to see the C-segment hatchback ditching the smile-for-a-mile Nagare design.

It's unclear what sort of architecture is found below the new Mazda3 - our spy shooters suggest that the car could simply be using a heavily massaged version of the Ford C1 platform found under the current car. Our best guess is that it's actually a reworked version of the platform used in the CX-5 crossover, however, chocked full of weight-saving Skyactiv technologies. After all, the CX-5 plays in the compact CUV segment, and those vehicles are commonly based on C-segment platforms. And besides, there's probably some economic savings at work with the new chassis - both in terms of fuel efficiency and economies of scale. Still, no one is totally certain what lies under all that black-and-white paper at the moment.

The new Mazda3 is targeted to arrive for the 2015 model year, meaning we could see a final production car debut as early as this year. We expect the hatch you see here to debut along with a traditional four-door sedan, and unless we hear otherwise, we don't doubt that a Mazdaspeed version will be far behind.2015 Mazda3 shows its shape originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 12 Feb 2013 10:58:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.
    Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...

Is this just a facelift - same chassis etc? It looks very similar, with a Lancer-style front end scoop.

Love how they camo the car as if we can't tell :P

Looks a bit like a Subaru to me. Altho I trust Mazda to make it a bit more attractive....

Hope to god they make an MPS version of it. Otherwise, who cares?

subi and lancer had sex and this came out

If it is in fact based on the cx-5 platform.......AWD MPS 3!!!

If that is the shape of things to come...I want my money back lol

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    subi and lancer had sex and this came out
    Yeah, and by the look of it, they were both alcoholic heavy smokers at the time...

Sent from my evil apple using TapaCrash
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

Eww! I hope they do a bit more work before it comes out! Not a fan!

are they trying to make it girlier each time? not a fan of how some of these new mazdas are looking.. though the new 6 is growing on me

I love the new Mazda 6. Not sure on this though..have to see it without the camo shit n some nice paint

12. Default

The shape looks smooth but purposeful, perfect for a 6, but the hatch is stretching more and more, even if it's just a play on the eye. The Gen2 MPS looks longer than the Gen 1, all because of the lay of the panels extending forward. The rear hatch is more sloped, more like a Focus (and Lancer for that matter) which I'm not a huge fan of. The lines need a little more sharp and a little less flow to look just a bit more... um... less Euro?