User Tag List

Thread: Mps test drive

1. Default Mps test drive

Hi guys,
    I'm currently in the market for a gen 2 luxury mps. I inspected one yesterday with about 70000kms on it. The car seemed in good condition inside out. The first thing that got me that the car has had the first two services done at a Mazda dealer and the rest of the services have been done by the owners friend who is a mechanic. Seems a bit iffy. The second is I took the car for a test drive. Now I come from a background of high powered modified cars. Think 250rwkw+ and I also ride a bike. I found the drive of the MPS very underwhelming. It felt slow. I don't know if this was just this car having a possible boost leak and being down on power or what. I did get the tug on the steering wheel when I floored it. Admittedly the roads were damp from rain so I think possibly the traction control was stepping in because of the slip? Does this happen on damp roads?

Could just be under powered for what you are used to or there could be issues with the MPS you tested.

Either way I would test drive another MPS before making up my mind.

When you try to boost it, did you do it in 2nd gear? Mps are limited in gear 1/2. Also, it's known that gen 2 has a very smooth output (a.k.a refined), which is why alot still prefer the gen 1 as it push you back to your seat more over the gen 2......

Wet conditions would have played a big factor. Traction control is quite sensitive IMO and does come on pretty early and consistently in the wet. Also you need to remember that the MPS from the factory only puts out at most between 155 - 170kws at the wheels, if you're used to 250+kws (key word in your opening post = modified) then of course it will feel less powerful. However the fun REALLY does begin once you do a couple of performance and traction upgrades as these cars really do respond very well to modifying. As Nirvandan suggested, go on a few more test drives, particularly in dryer conditions and you will quickly feel a different animal under your right foot, but be careful, it might bite you..just like the mod bug will once you've pulled the trigger on a purchase

good luck and make sure u keep us updated with your progress!
    2XS RACING $ CORKSPORT $ MAGNAFLOW $ ​UNSURE MOTORSPORTS $ COBB $ INJEN $ FULCRUM $ FEDERAL TYRES $ VISUAL GARAGE $ ADVANCED PERFORMANCE CENTRE $ B C M $ NGK $ STRATIFIED $ AUTOTECH $ DBA $ REMSA $ DGR $ MORIMOTO $ JBR $ FUSION

Oh, not sure what state you're in but if in QLD you're more then welcome to take my car for a spin to get a feel of one of these little rockets with some mods. My list isn't as long as some on here, but there are enough changes that should leave a goofy smile on your face hehe

6. Default

Thanks for the advice guys and thanks for the offer MPSBNE unfortunately I'm in NSW :-(
    with the torque limits, I assume a retune will remove those? I plan to get a retune straight away anyways.
    yeah I've arranged to test another mps gen2 luxury this week so I can get a comparison. I would've gone for gen 1 but the options in the luxury gen 2 are just too good...

traction control is new to me hehehe, loss of traction has become so normal to me it's like second nature now...

Where in NSW? I may be able to offer assistance if your around the Newcastle Hunter way. Cobb AP stage 1 will remove the limiter and give u a bit more HP for $600 its good

Quote Originally Posted by lovecolt View Post
    When you try to boost it, did you do it in 2nd gear? Mps are limited in gear 1/2. Also, it's known that gen 2 has a very smooth output (a.k.a refined), which is why alot still prefer the gen 1 as it push you back to your seat more over the gen 2......
    The Gen2 from 2010 is heavier by 40-50kgs as well. The Gen2 09's are only few KG's heavier than the old gen1's
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

9. Default

im in the sydney region reddjinn. The car i tested was an 09 model. yeah we'll see how we go...gonna test another car soon

Default Re: Mps test drive

Power is lowered in first 2 gears, it's also reduced when turning the wheel.

Gear limitations are removable by tune, turning off steering wheel requires you to pull a fuse that also disables stability control

Default Mps test drive

There is a MPS meet this Thursday at Harry's Liverpool 7.30 if you can make it. We usually get a good turn out and I'd be happy to help with any questions and if time permits a quick drive.

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Robmps View Post
    There is a MPS meet this Thursday at Harry's Liverpool 7.30 if you can make it. We usually get a good turn out and I'd be happy to help with any questions and if time permits a quick drive.
    actually that sounds great i will definately try and pop down. Is yours derestricted or stock tune? Just so i can get an idea.

Default Mps test drive

Mines not stock but should give you s good idea as to the potential.

14. Default

sounds good, will deffo be there then. So really if i wanted to test an mps to its full boost level id need to find a long road and floor it in 3rd?

Default Mps test drive

Motorway on ramps are good