User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turbo replacement + parts

Default Turbo replacement + parts

Hi fellow mps owners,

my turbo has decided to start to smoke and im looking to replace it.
    I've been searching information on here and both on the yank forums but im so confused as to what parts i need.
    I've decided to go for a gt2871r, im not crazy about massive power gains and believe this is more than enough. Yanks though seem to be obsessed with the gt30+ turbos.

my question is besides the turbo and inlet pipe what other things do i need?

current mods on my vehicle are
    KMD fuel pump internals
    mazdaspeed CAI
    CPE full turbo back exhaust
    horse power factory ecu flash

help greatly appreciated and please don't confuse me more than i already am.

BNR s1 easily available in Australia and straight bolt on its a good replacement for the K04 , a retune is a must from HPF

You'll need a HPFP, which you seem to have, the rest of the mods are great. You'll have to adjust your tune (if possible) or maybe look into COBB AP or something.
    Yep as you said you'll need a TIP. I think the GT2871R runs a 4" inlet so maybe the CP-E TIP.
    MAF and injectors should be fine. You may want to look into another MAF sensor as I've heard above 19psi the stock could be glitchy. You want accurate readings. But leave it stock for the moment if you like.

As far as the turbo goes, I think you can use factory lines etc for installation but don't take my word on it. Might need to see how the heat shielding needs to be modified (if at all)
    You also might want a new set of front tyres ;-)

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

ok thats where im getting confused some say keep the stock MAF or upgrade to a bigger MAF housing. where do i get a bigger MAF housing to replace the mazdaspeed CAI one?
    Also is the wastegate on the gt2871r enough, i've been reading about getting an external one cause the one on it holds up to 14psi..
    im so confused with this whole thing. As you can tell im a turbo noob oh and also something about a boost pill. i just want clarification on these things.
    im putting out 187kw atw and was hoping that with the new turbo to at least hit 200kw atw im sure it could go further than that but i dont want to be running my engine to the max, just want enough power to put a grin on my face and not a face of fear when i drive the damn thing.
    also running yokohama neovas advans so no need for two new front tyres just yet

If your not big on power get a BNR S1. Failing that, go the S3. If your not going bigger than a 28 than not much needs to be changed.
    MAF housing doesn't really need to be changed, any aftermarket intake will do the job and upgrading isn't necessary. But it's a good idea to upgrade your MAP sensor to a 3 bar and a 3 port EBCS. Again not 'needed' just a good idea to do.
    Decide which size you want first and what you want out of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil MPS View Post
    If your not big on power get a BNR S1. Failing that, go the S3. If your not going bigger than a 28 than not much needs to be changed.
    MAF housing doesn't really need to be changed, any aftermarket intake will do the job and upgrading isn't necessary. But it's a good idea to upgrade your MAP sensor to a 3 bar and a 3 port EBCS. Again not 'needed' just a good idea to do.
    Decide which size you want first and what you want out of the car.
    so where does the MAP sensor go and where can i get the upgraded part?
    GT28 would do the job i don't want the car to run like a snail but don't want to sit at the lights just spinning the wheels.

parts:
    GT2871
    3" inlet pipe
    MAP sensor upgrade
    new tune
    ebc

no need to get a better wastegate?

The internal gate will be enough, they won't match a gate that isn't suited to the turbo. Which brand are you looking at?. Unless your looking at the GTX series 28 email BNR about the stage 3. Not as expensive as you may think and it's the path I'm going down in a couple weeks.
    Map sensor measures your manifold air pressure, sensor that sits on the turbo manifold and a plug and play unit. Bosch does one for $30us, @rogwick has the link that I sent him or just google it.

Default Re: Turbo replacement + parts

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15154 -- info on map and maf sensors

Map is located here on the drivers side of intake Mani:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1359711127550.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	13626
    Blue thing is map sensor
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

going the atp path i cbf going bsr and having to send in my core, just want a fast swap out.
    the other thing that concerns me is the connections, although atp says its all bolt on i've have read thats not the case.
    i'd like braided lines to go on it and have no clue where i can get a set of lines.
    so just type in bosch MAP sensor and find the 3 bar?

things are starting to make sense now

So parts needed
    GT2871R
    3" inlet pipe
    3bar MAP
    3" MAF housing
    EBC would grimmspeed be a good one?
    And new tune from HPF..

????
    Last edited by MRZOOM; 01-02-2013 at 11:37 PM.

If you want a simple swap out, BNR S1 or S2.
    S3 requires inlet mods.
    Remember, the BNR can reuse your DP and inlets.
    You can pay extra and have the core supplied via BNR and then theere is no need for yours to be sent back.

Going to Garret will probably require a new manifold/flange.
    Along with a host of other stuff.

The stock turbo will see you get 200Kw@wheels.

Minimum parts you'll need.

BNR setup S1/2.
    -Turbo

BNR setup S3.
    -Turbo
    -3" inlet
    -retune

ATP setup.
    -these usually come as a kit with all required parts.

Garret setup -upto GT28 - usually custom.
    -Turbo
    -manifold
    -custom inlet
    -custom DP
    -retune

Going GT30 or larger will require a lot more mods.

There are more mods that can be done for each, but, are not required, just suggested.
    I may have missed some finer details, but, this is the majority of details I can provide.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

@MRZOOM, GS or Cobb EBC are both good, easily plug and play for us.

I've got a Hi-Flowed k04 sitting at home and i'm currently on 190fwkw at HPF i was hoping to hit 210-220fwkw reliably with approx 20psi when it's all installed + Full DP...

Will you be upgrading your intercooler?

James

No cooler update, will be doing that later but for now I need the turbo.
    It's smoking when I sit I'm traffic
    I'd like the ATP set up
    Just unsure if I need to upgrade to a bigger MAF housing.
    If I do have to, where do I find that housing to replace the mazdaspeed one?

Quote Originally Posted by MRZOOM View Post
    No cooler update, will be doing that later but for now I need the turbo.
    It's smoking when I sit I'm traffic
    I'd like the ATP set up
    Just unsure if I need to upgrade to a bigger MAF housing.
    If I do have to, where do I find that housing to replace the mazdaspeed one?
    Not sure either if the larger MAF Housing is needed if your currently running a stock one on your CAI, i know a lot more air will be flowing through the intake but maybe it will still be reading accurately enough for HPF to tune it 100%.

That's what i'm banking on (running a slightly milder turbo thou).
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Not sure either if the larger MAF Housing is needed if your currently running a stock one on your CAI, i know a lot more air will be flowing through the intake but maybe it will still be reading accurately enough for HPF to tune it 100%.

I'm sticking to the GT2871R just waiting on GCG to get back at me with price and everything else to make it bolt on.
    Oh and I need a new clutch too
    So in the end I'll be getting an ATP, boost controller, inlet pipe and a new tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post

In colder months you can easily hit the limits of a stock sized intake when running a larger turbo, even a BNR S1 (or equivalent). Have seen some k04's hit required air flow for "MAF cut" in the states when temps get down to 4-5deg C

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

I never reached the limits of the stock MAF with mine.
    28/76r @ 24psi.
    I even had a 3" one waiting to be fitted, when it was tuned, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    I never reached the limits of the stock MAF with mine.
    28/76r @ 24psi.
    I even had a 3" one waiting to be fitted, when it was tuned, just in case.
    Brisbane never really gets that cold
    I'm talking low single digits...
    Could possibly get away with it in Brisbane, but my 3071 flows more air at 23psi than the stock sized maf can read, even on 20-25 deg days

MAF cut on stock intake is about 340g/s of air...

Default Turbo replacement + parts

I always hit MAF cut on my stock MAF with the 3071 as soon as temps dropped below 17 degrees it was a guarantee

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Brisbane never really gets that cold
    I'm talking low single digits...
    Could possibly get away with it in Brisbane, but my 3071 flows more air at 23psi than the stock sized maf can read, even on 20-25 deg days

MAF cut on stock intake is about 340g/s of air...
    Quote Originally Posted by rayd View Post
    I always hit MAF cut on my stock MAF with the 3071 as soon as temps dropped below 17 degrees it was a guarantee
    But you guys are running GT30 turbos.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast