User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 Bar MAF & MAP Sensors

Default 3 Bar MAF & MAP Sensors

Hey guys just after a quick answer, i remember a few months ago that on a GT28XX turbo or larger running 21psi+ it was decided people needed to up grade to a 3 Bar MAF and MAP sensor to ensure it was accurately reading the intake voltage.

Considering i'm running a 3" TurboXS intake without straighteners and have a Hi-Flowed K04 waiting to go in (BNR s3 spec but built by GCG in sydney with ceramic coating and bored out intake diameter) would i need these upgraded sensors if i want to run 20psi +/- 2psi properly?

Thanks All
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

Default Re: 3 Bar MAF & MAP Sensors

The stock MAP sensor can read up to 2.5 bar.
    1 bar is atmospheric pressure
    So it can read up to a further 1.5 bar (22psi) of pressure
    The MAF sensor just reads the speed of air going past it, and returns a voltage of 0-5v.
    You don't upgrade the MAF sensor, but by widening the diameter of the intake, you can allow more air at the same speed.
    EDIT: should add, changing the diameter of MAF requires at least a remapping of the MAF tables in the tune

You upgrade the MAP sensor itself and enlarge the MAF housing
    Last edited by SarcasticOne; 26-01-2013 at 05:25 PM.
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

3 bar map will be needed, more of a very good idea to do. They're not expensive, bosch one will cost you $30us.

The rest of what Sam said is right.

i suggest using this:
    Mazdaspeed MAP Harness - Bitwise Motorsports
    means it's all plug & play, rather than soldering/splicing wires... it's what I'm using

What is the best size MAF housing to upgrade to? As in, what would make you go 3", what would make you go 3.25", or what would make you go 3.5"?

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk 2

3' maf and 3bar sensor will be more than enough to see u to 300kwatw that will max out the BNRs3

So why would you go bigger? More power on a Gt30?

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk 2

Ok so a 3 Bar MAP and the Harness .

Will the car still be drive-able after the sensor has been installed? Or is it something i'll get my tuner to do so they can recalibrate the ECU at the same time?

Thanks for the responses

Quote Originally Posted by RedDjinn View Post
    3' maf and 3bar sensor will be more than enough to see u to 300kwatw that will max out the BNRs3
    good to know
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

To get 300kwatw on an s3 reliably and consistently is going to be hard, will need some auxiliary fueling or meth injection for safety. Not saying it can't be done because it has been done. But not very reliably!

I'd say the s3 maxes out at about 250kw and to get more up top (say 280 or even 300kw) get a GTX2867.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Ok so a 3 Bar MAP and the Harness .

Will the car still be drive-able after the sensor has been installed? Or is it something i'll get my tuner to do so they can recalibrate the ECU at the same time?

Thanks for the responses

good to know
    if you have small hands, it's a 10 minute swap...
    so may as well do it at the shop, as long as you dont hit boost, SHOULD be ok... but i wouldnt really want to drive it...
    Quote Originally Posted by rayd View Post
    To get 300kwatw on an s3 reliably and consistently is going to be hard, will need some auxiliary fueling or meth injection for safety. Not saying it can't be done because it has been done. But not very reliably!

I'd say the s3 maxes out at about 250kw and to get more up top (say 280 or even 300kw) get a GTX2867.
    400hp BNR stage3 - Mazdaspeed Forums 400hp = 300kw
    can be done with e85 mix as well...
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Sam I didn't say it was impossible but you have to run very aggressive and let's not forget our fuel isn't as good as the stuff they have in America

Read the post again! did i say the BNRs3 will get 300kw?? NO... I said the 3' 3 bar will max out the BNR!

Read the post again! did i say the BNRs3 will get 300kw?? NO... I said the 3' 3 bar will max out the BNR!
    English fail

Engrish?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by rayd View Post
    English fail
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Engrish?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    Bullies

Many want Power not many hold it long.........

16. Default 3 Bar MAF & MAP Sensors

3" MAF or larger is a must for BT. 3" maxes out around 400 hp.

Stock MAP sensor is only good up to 22.5 psi so if you plan on running more boost you will need 3 bar.

So yeah just repeating what everyone else is saying above, SarcasticOne is right

Sent from my iPhone using RichieTalk

Apparently i already have the extended MAF, I've got to hear back from GCG on what details they can tell me about the Turbo, keeping in mind it's not really a BT just a hi-flowed K04, so it's a better turbo not a bigger one...

Currently was at approx 190fwkw with race pipe, cat back, FMIC, CAI, 2XS TIP, HPFP and HPF Tune so if i can get 15-20% more and it still be safe i'll be over the moon .
    MPSX-treme

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    i suggest using this:
    Mazdaspeed MAP Harness - Bitwise Motorsports
    means it's all plug & play, rather than soldering/splicing wires... it's what I'm using
    BUMP

I recently purchased these along with other stuff. It is $120 to get that Harness shipped from place above, which seems ridiculous and I did contact him about the postage quote said thats how much it costs him. @EdgeAutosport.com actually sell those as well, as I found out the other day for $65. Just get it along with the Bosch 3 Bar MAP $29.99 when you get your other parts and combine shipping. Winning!
    2XS+ChipTorque=DeathStar

Quote Originally Posted by KFuNk View Post
    BUMP

I recently purchased these along with other stuff. It is $120 to get that Harness shipped from place above, which seems ridiculous and I did contact him about the postage quote said thats how much it costs him. @EdgeAutosport.com actually sell those as well, as I found out the other day for $65. Just get it along with the Bosch 3 Bar MAP $29.99 when you get your other parts and combine shipping. Winning!
    It costs him $120? What a load of crap, that could almost fit in a large envelope, some people are just rip offs. Edge ftw!
    '05 6 MPS | BNR S3 | JBR 3.5" Intake | Corksport Airbox | CP-E 3.25" TMIC | M2 DP | CP-E CBE | CP-E/TT Diff Mounts | Autotech HPFP Internals | JBR REM, PMM, TMM | SURE Shortcut | SURE Countershift | SURE Anchors | Denso ITV22s | JBR TIGs | EGR Delete | Coolant Bypass | PTP Inj Seals | MD OCC | H&R Springs | Bilstein B8 Shocks | Car-LED Tails | Badgeless Grille | 6000k HIDs | OZ Ultraleggera 18x8 +48

EDIT Sorry $120 Inclusive of Harness $50 shipping cost.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast