User Tag List

Thread: Adding a sub to a Gen1 MPS

Default Adding a sub to a Gen1 MPS

Hi guys,

After about 3 days of owning my MPS, i'm sick of the bose system, it's poor at best. I like my bass too much and unfortunately the bose setup doesn't cut it.

I've already got a head unit (Pioneer) and a amp and sub combo (Alpine type R and a Kicker Mono amp) I understand that if i was to take out my stock headunit i will lose the function of climate control.

So, i can live with the head unit, it serves its purpose and does what i need. But i'll like to take that bose sub and toss it (Not literally) Can you at all run a stock headunit and use a subwoofer and amp combo.

I got a quote from a local car audio place and they told me that it would cost roughly around $600! Ha! That wont be happening fella's. I cant see why i cant install this myself. I just need the information! Has anyone else done this?

Cheers,
    Ben

Default Re: Adding a sub to a Gen1 MPS

Believe @Jrbris replaced his entire sound system

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

get yourself a Metra Dash kit. Your A/C display LCD will still work

This?
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15100
    Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by RedDjinn View Post
    get yourself a Metra Dash kit. Your A/C display LCD will still work
    i shall give it a google, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GibbA View Post
    The subs under the passenger seat in mine, obviously what they did in the earlier models...

Default Adding a sub to a Gen1 MPS

Might help: http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/how-t...-amp-easy.html

Or do what was suggested here and add a signal processor- probably worth the money if you plan to do more audio later.
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/car-a...c-display.html

Sent from my evil apple using TapaCrash
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

That last link really helped. Thanks Lachlan

I've found that theres a ton of stuff about it, but its not just laid out for you. (Internet for you) When i get this sorted out, im making a thread/video that explains all this.

Just disconnect the factory sub under the passenger seat and cut the wires that power it, you run a converter (forgot the specific name) to send the signal to a aftermarket mono-block amp which you place under the seat where the oem sub was. Then run you sub in the hatch, you can spend as much or as little as you like, then via the head unit take all the bass out of the system i run mine on 0 and treb on 4-5, and set up the level of bass you after via the Amp or Bass Controller.

I got a Orion 1000w Mono block powering a 15" Orion 800Wrms sub and it's overkill... Only went for because it cost me peanuts but it works a treat, if you dont need alot of the boot.

Easy to do yourself as well, run 4 gauge from battery to the factory hole in the firewall which is behind the glove box and run it under the carpet and pop it out under where your rear foot vents are. To earth it i just stripped the paint where the chair bolts into the car.

Hope this helps
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

Cheers @Bakis very helpful. I thought i could just do something simple like this..Thats all i was after! Dont suppose you remember which cord does what?? Im assuming its just a level line converter or a high pass filter like the above mentioned thread?

What does the bose amp run? Speakers and sub? Or just the sub? Anyone know?

I use my Samsung Galaxy S 1 with custom firmware to unleash the real bass of the bose. If your in Liverpool let me know and ill give you a listen

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

i just replaced my bose with a pioneer head unit and kicker splits. and local car audio is expensive.

u only loose the radio functions on the steering wheel, but for 200 u can get a box to install that can return that.

you will need a new face to install as the stock stereo comes out.. mine was about 200 as i got a metal bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben992 View Post
    Cheers @Bakis very helpful. I thought i could just do something simple like this..Thats all i was after! Dont suppose you remember which cord does what?? Im assuming its just a level line converter or a high pass filter like the above mentioned thread?

What does the bose amp run? Speakers and sub? Or just the sub? Anyone know?
    Bose amp runs all the speakers + sub. I had to download a wire diagram off the internet cause i think the wires i spliced into were yellow, brown and stuff, we just connected all the positives together and same with the negatives, i think that's what I did but it was about 2.5 years ago.

Yeah level line converter sounds familiar lol
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

I find it rather amusing how people get this idea that the factory speakers aren't good enough. The bose speakers themselves, (not the amp) are top quality speakers, if you're after premium amazing sound with bass, (as you noted you love) then all you need is a sub and amp combo. Tune the factory speakers so they create the treble and vocal you need and have the bass completely off, so they aren't competing with the sub. Have the sub and amp tuned and you'll have show quality speakers.

I have the factory BOSE speakers with a VIBE AUDIO Amp and sub combo box, it was proffesionally tuned by a friend is VIBE Audio's sales Rep for QLD & Northern NSW. My setup is amazing and I've had 5k + sound systems before and this is on par with them.

Just some food for thought, don't get con'd thinking replacing the whole system is the only way to go.

Agreed.. the issue with the stock system is no sub control. you turn up bass and all of the speakers start distorting.. they are mids they are not designed for that much bass...
    Test it for yourself, set bass to 0 on the stereo and see what the treble is like.

Quote Originally Posted by IN10SE View Post
    I find it rather amusing how people get this idea that the factory speakers aren't good enough. The bose speakers themselves, (not the amp) are top quality speakers, if you're after premium amazing sound with bass, (as you noted you love) then all you need is a sub and amp combo. Tune the factory speakers so they create the treble and vocal you need and have the bass completely off, so they aren't competing with the sub. Have the sub and amp tuned and you'll have show quality speakers.

I have the factory BOSE speakers with a VIBE AUDIO Amp and sub combo box, it was proffesionally tuned by a friend is VIBE Audio's sales Rep for QLD & Northern NSW. My setup is amazing and I've had 5k + sound systems before and this is on par with them.

Just some food for thought, don't get con'd thinking replacing the whole system is the only way to go.
    Thats all i plan to do. I was just going to put my stereo in for the sake of i have the stereo already from my previous car... I've found that its too much hassle with re-wiring the climate control etc, losing steering wheel controls and so on....therefore im wanting just my little bump of bass which will make me more than content with the system. The speakers are 100% fine and are crystal clear at high volumes. I'm not bagging out bose at all, they do an amazing job (Even have bose speakers for my computer) it's just that the sub is very poor. I dont know if that was bose's fault, or Mazda's.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Agreed.. the issue with the stock system is no sub control. you turn up bass and all of the speakers start distorting.. they are mids they are not designed for that much bass...
    Test it for yourself, set bass to 0 on the stereo and see what the treble is like.
    See this is what i thought when i picked up the car. I thought that in fact my sub was broken, i was expecting more and went in search for a sub control in the menu...cranked the bass and the treble and it just made it sound terrible.

I just need to figure out how to wire up my sub with a LOC and i'll be sweet! Then i can have as much bass as i want (well its still limited by the bose system) but its going to be a hell of a lot punchy than the stock bose sub.

It still baffles me on how i was quoted $600 for them to wire up a LOC...I've found a semi decent one for $40....Wiring kit for the amp and sub about $80...$480 labour is a bit extreme...
    Last edited by Ben992; 27-01-2013 at 10:01 PM.

With my setup I'm not limited by the BOSE system head unit as mine runs it's own Plug in and Play kit, that is adjustable from the front of the car while driving etc. Controls the freq and gain. While the BOSE system can still control the base if needed* which I don't, via the bass option in the head unit. As you said 480$ is a extreme.

Here's a pick of my plug n play control
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Audio control.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	13607

I dare say the sub may be remotely decent if you can filter it too, more than likely is has way too much mid going through it.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

All of this is 100% truth, people in commodores with full audio set ups have also asked me what im running... Factory System with upgraded sub and that's it.

Also the benefit of doing this in a 3 is that there isn't much boot rattle .