User Tag List

Thread: Which tyres to choose out of these options?

1. Question Which tyres to choose out of these options?

hey all.

i'm sick of this tyre debacle and sick of chasing up prices all over the place. most annoying is that every single dealer will tell you something different, and usually conflicting information. granted they do that mostly to push the tyre they get the best return on, or a good kickback on at that time, but it also makes it basically impossible to tell the bullshit from the real information

so anyway. it seems that everyone else on these forums can get a better price than i can! but these are the options ive narrowed down to. please tell me which way you would go! (they are all 225/40/18)

Note - i don't drive it hard, i don't track, i don't mod, i'd prefer better longevity and nicer hold in straight line. i don't fang it round corners really.

Options:
    1. PZeros (unsure of variant) $295/corner
    2. Toyo somethings (some of these quotes were gotten by my old man, he frequently doesnt get the model ) $330/corner
    3. Kumho KU39 $275/corner
    4. PZero Rosso $1375 fitted
    5. Continental CSC5 $305/corner

now, basically every tyre above has had somebody rip shit out of it. i'm kind of over all this and want you to make up my mind for me - you guys aren't biased salespeople, you're the ones actually using the damn things daily :P

any help appreciated
    Last edited by imaspy; 24-01-2013 at 10:48 AM.

Default Re: Which tyres to choose out of these options?

Pilot super sports
    Know a few people have gotten these after the pzeros and been impressed

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

3. Default

Thanks for not helping heheh

unfortunately michelins aren't on this list because they're just a bit too far outta my $ range.

Default Which tyres to choose out of these options?

Quote Originally Posted by imaspy View Post
    Thanks for not helping heheh

unfortunately michelins aren't on this list because they're just a bit too far outta my $ range.
    I've had the Pzero Rosso and found then to be awesome. Can only compare to stock and heaps better. I got 37K kms out of mine. And I've ordered some more. Good price IMO

There are 2 types of Rossos. Assimetrico and Directizinale. Get the Ass so you can swap the tyres off the rims when rotating. Should give you awesome life

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

I Havent tried any of your options. However, have you managed to get any quotes for Pilot Sports 3? There are a few places doing good discounts at this time (maybe discontinuation of line?) and may be in your range.

Here's a thread that can help.
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/handl...ew-thread.html

We cant really help you if you dont have the model as different models have different pricings and can be way different from one another

6. Default

thanks mech81, i've poured through that thread and just gotten frustrated at all the better prices people get :P

I don't think i found a price for the michelins that was less than 380 unfortunately.

and yeah, i know the model numbers are needed. i'm doing the best with the info i was given

slixx, thanks for the input mate

Just curious, what size are you looking for? 225/40/18?

8. Default

yup. stock wheels.

Don't listen to the dealers who of course will bag every other brand that they don't carry themselves. Go to Tyre Rack and read the very comprehensive tests and decide for yourself on your kind of driving and where you live. I use "summer" tyres as WA has little rain. If you are in rain or ice you might choose different from me. I picked my Sumitomos as the best and most under-rated tyre and they wear well and are better than the tram-lining, low-wearing Thumpstone RE050's that came with the car when new. They cost me ~$250 a corner fitted. My driving sounds like yours, in general. BTW, I don't know if you drive a 3 or a 6 but go to Tyre Rack anyway, you'll find it helpful and gives you a new perspective on how to look at tyres.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    Don't listen to the dealers who of course will bag every other brand that they don't carry themselves. Go to Tyre Rack and read the very comprehensive tests and decide for yourself on your kind of driving and where you live. I use "summer" tyres as WA has little rain. If you are in rain or ice you might choose different from me. I picked my Sumitomos as the best and most under-rated tyre and they wear well and are better than the tram-lining, low-wearing Thumpstone RE050's that came with the car when new. They cost me ~$250 a corner fitted. My driving sounds like yours, in general. BTW, I don't know if you drive a 3 or a 6 but go to Tyre Rack anyway, you'll find it helpful and gives you a new perspective on how to look at tyres.
    I agree with Doug on the Sumitomos. I had them on and they wore very well - about 40k+ kms. Good in Dry, Decent in wet. Found them a bit noisy 3/4 way through their wear and slight decrease in wet grip
    @Doug_MPS6 - I couldn't get the sumitomos anymore. Do you know where to get them around here as shipping from tirerack for a set just didnt make sense for that type of tyre or are they discontinued?

11. Default

doug, i have a 3 - you could probably have told that from my sig

importing not an option unfortunately. tyres must be locally sourced and fitted as per annoying novated lease clause

You can source the Sumitomos locally (google is your friend), does the lease state that the tyres MUST be bought and fitted by the same shop, there are plenty of shops bringing in grey imports who will deliver nationally, you could then take these to your local shop for fitting.

13. Default

sounds like a lot of dicking around for something that i need pretty much right now (i'm so easy to deal with right?! lol) - i'm almost down to the belts on the fronts.

and yeah, bloody novated lease clauses :P there was actually one which stated i cannot take the car out of the state without the prior knowledge of the financier i promptly had them strike that one off heheh

14. Default

Out of the ones you've posted, I'd go with the Pirellis personally. I've never had an issue with Pirelli P Zeros. They seem to wear evenly, perform well in the wet, aren't too noisy and last OK. Pretty much all you'd ask for in a tyre. Agree the Sumitomos are a good tyre also.

Don't underestimate the importance of keeping your pressures correct and regular inspection / rotation of your tyres to get the most out of them.

Obviously, go with a wheel alignment too.

OK then, so just go and buy yourself some tyres, people are offering you suggestions here that dont seem to apply to your current situation (you did not mention your urgency in the OP), why bother asking for our advice, when you don't seem interested is taking on board what a lot of members are suggesting to you, I can only suggest you do your own homework and Google your options.

thread closed.