User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 Gen 1 - replacing turbo with GTX3017r - Pros & Cons

Default 3 Gen 1 - replacing turbo with GTX3017r - Pros & Cons

I have 07 Gen 1 that is starting to smoke. I have researched many turbos's & it seems the GTX3017r is what I'm looking for. A few things i really need advice on are:

a) I'll probably order from edgeautosport.com It's a bolt on job with IWG. However, what PSI do i order 8, 14 or 22?
    Does this depend on how I want to tune the car???

ATP Turbo GTX3071R Bolt On Turbo Kit Upgrade Mazdaspeed 3 MS3

b) Has anyone installed one of these? I am looking to install this myself if at all possible. Any tips/advice or help would be appreciated....Time frame to dismantle old turbo & install new BT.

c) After installation will I need to upgrade other parts to deal with the extra power, ie side engine mounts etc etc ??

BTW, I have a TBE, Excel Nano - SRI, Koni Yellow shocks & Eibach springs, Cpe -REM........

I'm happy to help out other peeps as most of my mods I have installed.......

Cheers

Sam-Bo

I think this is a question for @MPS2NV @SarcasticOne

Default Re: 3 Gen 1 - replacing turbo with GTX3017r - Pros & Cons

Before I write out a big long post, are you willing to run either e85 or meth?

If not, get a bnr stage 3 and leave it at that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

^as above. @rayd has this turbo he might be able to give some insight if required
    You will want a new map sensor, at least 3" maf etc
    Last edited by dazza; 23-01-2013 at 12:37 PM.

At min for a GTX3071-
    4' tip, longer hose to hook up to intercooler, mod hose to water return line. Thats just to fit it up.... Waste gate spring if you get the 8psi thats as low as boost goes, 14psi one thats as low as the boost will go etc..

Set aside a full day maybe 2 if you have never done it before!
    Last edited by RedDjinn; 23-01-2013 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Before I write out a big long post, are you willing to run either e85 or meth?

If not, get a bnr stage 3 and leave it at that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Probably not. Looking to use 98.

I would stick with bnr s3 unless your after 250-300kw or more

get a BNR stage 3 then, much cheaper, less stuffing around...
    unless you go with meth or e85, you'll be limited by knock, so wont get the full potential out of the turbo, so it seems pointless to spend all that extra money when you're going to gain very little...

but, to answer initial questions
    a) 14psi
    b) set aside an entire weekend... in theory it's do-able in a day, but you should have that extra day in case something goes wrong
    c) side mounts, and potentially a full engine rebuild depending on how hard you push the car
    the bare minimum you need is:
    a larger MAF housing + 4" TIP
    longer bit of silicone for the turbo -> hot pipe of IC
    would also suggest spending the money on a full set of braided lines + AN fittings (suggested to me by @MPS2NV ) as the ones in the bolt-on kit arent the greatest...
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Why? Isn't the GTX3071R a better turbo with a lot more options for later on..........namely the new wheel & better design bearings. The BNR S3 is still a KO4 with some better internals!!! Isn't this the case?

Quote Originally Posted by Hama3 View Post
    Why? Isn't the GTX3071R a better turbo with a lot more options for later on..........namely the new wheel & better design bearings. The BNR S3 is still a KO4 with some better internals!!! Isn't this the case?
    BNRs3 use's a reworked standard exhaust housing THATS IT..... nothing K04 about it

Im using a BNRs2 at 21psi im into 245kw+ atw below 25c day and 500nm ish!! nothing k04 about it
    This dyno was at 35c ish day

If u want a bit more BNRs3... But its up to you what u want to do
    Last edited by RedDjinn; 23-01-2013 at 01:21 PM.
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Very impressive results....That's plenty enough power for me

Ok, thanks. I just checked the BNR site & the S2's have been discontinued?

Looks like I'm in for a S3.

Engine knocking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia <-- read please
    using 98ron on our cars, you're limited to about 250kw atw due to limitations in the fuel
    both the BNR S3 (effectively a GT2871) and the GTX3071 are capable of pushing our cars to about 300kw at the wheels, which is where the stock fuel system starts to become the main limitation... but to get there, you need either e85 or water/meth injection

yes, it's the GTX is a better turbo, but for what you want to do, it's a waste of money
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Quote Originally Posted by RedDjinn View Post
    BNRs3 use's a reworked standard exhaust housing THATS IT..... nothing K04 about it

Im using a BNRs2 at 21psi im into 245kw+ atw below 25c day and 500nm ish!! nothing k04 about it
    This dyno was at 35c ish day

If u want a bit more BNRs3... But its up to you what u want to do

Forgot to ask. If I decide on a BNR S3 can I use all the existing lines to connect OR should I upgrade lines as per what SacasticOne recommended?

BNRs3 case closed
    If running above 20psi, new map sensor is recommended and 3" MAF for bnr s3 should be enough. As sam said previously would invest in braided lines as well. If you did DP yourself, should be able to do turbo install as well.

So, If I decide to install a BNR S3 running under 20psi, will I still need a new map sensor & 3" MAF? The TBE I had installed, very messy job that one

I think I may be able to give this a go.

Hey RedDJinn, are you running new new map sensor & 3" MAF?????

Quote Originally Posted by Hama3 View Post
    So, If I decide to install a BNR S3 running under 20psi, will I still need a new map sensor & 3" MAF? The TBE I had installed, very messy job that one

I think I may be able to give this a go.

Hey RedDJinn, are you running new new map sensor & 3" MAF?????
    3" MAF regardless to read the extra flow.
    Taken from Painless 3 BAR MAP Sensor upgrade - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
    Your MAP sensor is what the ECU uses to read boost pressure. The stock Manifold Air Pressure sensor (MAP) is a 2.5 BAR unit, which tops out around 23-24psi, and looses accuracy around 22-23psi. If you want to accurately see pressures in that range or over, regardless of BT or K04, it's a wise idea to upgrade to at least a 3 BAR sensor. This is important even if you want to run boost pressures around 19-20psi, since the throttle cut and fuel cut settings will be at or beyond the point in the stock sensor range where things get fuzzy, so they may not work consistently, work as expected, or even work at all.

Might not be 100% necessary but I would do it anyway, fairly cheap.
    '05 6 MPS | BNR S3 | JBR 3.5" Intake | Corksport Airbox | CP-E 3.25" TMIC | M2 DP | CP-E CBE | CP-E/TT Diff Mounts | Autotech HPFP Internals | JBR REM, PMM, TMM | SURE Shortcut | SURE Countershift | SURE Anchors | Denso ITV22s | JBR TIGs | EGR Delete | Coolant Bypass | PTP Inj Seals | MD OCC | H&R Springs | Bilstein B8 Shocks | Car-LED Tails | Badgeless Grille | 6000k HIDs | OZ Ultraleggera 18x8 +48

ATP GT3071r, you need a DP for both, custom hose work for both, CP-tip, will feel nice and give you super amounts of room to move in the future.

unless its BNR S1 dont do it.

Heres a link to my ride thread in which i use a GTX3071 in my MPS 6. it should give you more of an idea of what you need to run it.

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/membe...ayds-ride.html

if you want simplicity, use the BNR S3.

BNRs2 or BNRs3 only mods needed to fit is........ Water return line top of turbo just make the hose a bit longer, everything else will bolt up ..

Mods i would suggest- SRI/CAI 3', TIP, EBC (im using a grimmspeed), DP, HPFP, TMIC/FMIC, AND A GOOD TUNE!!. If you run BNRs3 id do the exhaust manifold as well

The BNRS2 is still going you need to email Bryan@ BNR he will still do it
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast