User Tag List

Thread: Skinny car Batteries - 51R

Default Skinny car Batteries - 51R

Hey All, I've invested in a HTP Battery Tray that I bought along with the one piece 3" MAF and TIP.
    HTP Battery Tray for 2007-2012 Mazdaspeed3 - Hi-Tuned Performance Products

Late last year I had to upgrade my OEM battery to a Century 75D23L, the old one went flat after an extended period of "Brad forgetting he left the Start button in the "ON" position" Century Batteries Australia

It's dimensions are 231D x 170W x 201H with a CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) of 620. It's a monster, car cranks better than ever. But, given that HTP recommend a "51R" battery type, the key dimension is the width of around 130mm, therefore my battery is too wide.

Century do a "51" or "53" with dimensions of 238x134x173 with only a CCA of 355.

Also found Delkor, similar dimensions, but with a CCA of 430. DELKOR 51R-430 Car Battery | Automotive | KT Battery | Deep Cycle Batteries, Car Batteries, UPS Batteries, solar panel and Batteries

Big question is, what are safe minimum CCA's for our cars?

In the US, they talk of the Optima 51R Yellowtop, it has a CCA of 450, available in Oz @ Optima D51RT1 Yellow Top Battery

Not cheap, especially as I've already dropped on a new battery.

Can anyone suggest a cheaper local buyer? Or do you know a battery with similar spec's?

Thanks
    Brad.
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

Subbed for answer aswell, I need a skinny tray + battery since my poor CPE TIP is getting so crushed by my fat battery

I currently use a 500cca battery and sometimes it struggles to crank, especially on hot days

There's also the odyssey pc680 which you can pick up for about $220?
    Last edited by Rayd; 20-01-2013 at 11:59 PM.

Default Re: Skinny car Batteries - 51R

Really? 500, Damn... Is that an OEM battery or a recent replacement?

Sent from Samsung Note 2 LTE

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    Really? 500, Damn... Is that an OEM battery or a recent replacement? Sent from Samsung Note 2 LTE
    recent replacement

If you arent planning on taking your car to the track, you can do a remote locate of your battery, to the boot. You could run basically anything then, and not worry about space issues.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleredMPS View Post
    If you arent planning on taking your car to the track, you can do a remote locate of your battery, to the boot. You could run basically anything then, and not worry about space issues.
    I have thought about that, but batteries give off hydrogen gas, and all that in the boot scares me

Edit: double post

Don't see any issues running to the boot, the Odyessey PC680MJT is sealed so you shouldn't need to vent it.
    You could always use a battery box and vent it out like so for other batteries
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mor550362.gif 
Views:	425 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	13553
    '05 6 MPS | BNR S3 | JBR 3.5" Intake | Corksport Airbox | CP-E 3.25" TMIC | M2 DP | CP-E CBE | CP-E/TT Diff Mounts | Autotech HPFP Internals | JBR REM, PMM, TMM | SURE Shortcut | SURE Countershift | SURE Anchors | Denso ITV22s | JBR TIGs | EGR Delete | Coolant Bypass | PTP Inj Seals | MD OCC | H&R Springs | Bilstein B8 Shocks | Car-LED Tails | Badgeless Grille | 6000k HIDs | OZ Ultraleggera 18x8 +48

I was running an Odyssey 680MJT in mine for a while (so I could hide my WMI bottle next to it in the battery box), it was the biggest pain in the arse of a battery. Unless you are prepared to babysit your battery and constantly monitor its health, dont bother with Odyssey, if they go flat, they will never hold their charge properly again, if you leave your car for any length of time (i.e on holidays) you will need to disconnect the terminals to ensure the battery wont drain while you are away.

I even tried calling the place I bought the battery from enquiring about the 3 year warranty, and was pretty much told that if it had gone flat they wont replace them under warranty. You also will need to get the right type of charger for these types of battery as well, normal chargers dont charge them correctly.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

If you decide against the $1700!!!! porche battery....this might be a cheaper option: http://www.optima-batteries.com.au/o...-top-d51r.html

I got a d35 yellow top off these guys and it rocks, free postage too
    Don't know what the difference between the d51r and d51rt1 is though...

Sent from my evil apple using TapaCrash
    Last edited by Lachlan; 21-01-2013 at 12:34 PM.

I'm surprised people are struggling to crank the engine over with batteries that large. 450CCA should be enough to crank over most modern 4cylinder engines. If your car is struggling to start, I would check the wiring, earth and terminal connections, as you're probably building resistance somewhere.

In answer to the battery question, you might want to look into lithium batteries. They're smaller, lighter and will supply more current. Batteries for car are about $600 and $250 for bikes.
    Last edited by Jeev; 04-02-2013 at 07:39 PM.

I like Optima batteries, i just bought a Optima Red top 35

Default Re: Skinny car Batteries - 51R

Yeah maybe for the ppl who can afford the car to go with it lol.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by ledfootrob View Post
    Yeah maybe for the ppl who can afford the car to go with it lol.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    Just like my Porsche Pen, it the closest I'll ever get to owning a Porsche, a piece of braded hose from a LeMans car, made into a pen.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

So in case any where interested, I went the Optima 51R. See my link below about the install last night.

Paid $225 for it. Seemed reasonable, Australian Delivery.

Haven't started the car yet, It's late, but I'm sure it will be fine.

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/membe...tml#post246526

So am I right in understanding that the Optima D51R doesn't vent any gas? Need to make sure that it's 100% safe to go in the boot...

Quote Originally Posted by MadAussie View Post
    So am I right in understanding that the Optima D51R doesn't vent any gas? Need to make sure that it's 100% safe to go in the boot...
    Supposably the optima d51r has over pressure valves they only open if the battery is overcharged. plenty of people running them in the boot not vented
    '05 6 MPS | BNR S3 | JBR 3.5" Intake | Corksport Airbox | CP-E 3.25" TMIC | M2 DP | CP-E CBE | CP-E/TT Diff Mounts | Autotech HPFP Internals | JBR REM, PMM, TMM | SURE Shortcut | SURE Countershift | SURE Anchors | Denso ITV22s | JBR TIGs | EGR Delete | Coolant Bypass | PTP Inj Seals | MD OCC | H&R Springs | Bilstein B8 Shocks | Car-LED Tails | Badgeless Grille | 6000k HIDs | OZ Ultraleggera 18x8 +48