User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hi all - Looking for a Gen 1 MPS3

A quick feedback/review after a few weeks of driving:

- Not sure if its the stock REM's that bad or its pretty much need replacement, but i can feel some vibration in the cabin while idling (seems to stop if i'm idling on a uphill....???)
    - Taking off seems like abit of a bunny jump affair for me. I believe its the electronic throttle lag, where the releasing of the clutch isn't matched up with the right. (If i take off while the car's rolling slightly downhill, its fine....)
    - And what's with the 2nd gear....??? It seems like its almost pointless to have them. Whenever i change gear from 1st to 2nd, the car would seem like its hit a anchor for a split second.......unless i shift from 1st at low low revs like 2000rpm.......but 1st gear hits 3-4000rpm in almost split second anyway....... What i find recently is, i would have a much better upshift if i just go from 1st directly to 3rd gear. But does it cause any damage to the gearbox????
    - Barely feel much boost in 2nd gear, but i guess that's the 1st/2nd gear restriction.
    - Heat soak on the intercooler's quite epic. Being observing my BAT and its always like 15 degree+ more than the intake temp.Will drop when i hit boost, but its still a fair bit of difference to the intake temp........might consider doing up the alu plate insert between the tmic/engine.......

Other that the above, its being a sweet car
    When in doubt, power out....of control.

Default Hi all - Looking for a Gen 1 MPS3

Mine vibrates too at idle. They're a bit of a rough one the g1's

I do a lot of bunny hopping too I've found, only at low revs like you said as well.

2nd gear not needed? Dunno about you, but mines insane in 2nd gear. Hits boost better than in first. 2nd gear is my go fast gear when taking off. I pretty much only use first to get it rolling!

Sent from my iFail using Tapatalk

Hi lovecolt,

I'm new to the MPS too (had for three months, Gen 1, haven't had chance to drive it as much as I'd like), and find similar things too. But nothing major, love the car, just finding my first turbo car very different to drive. Like you, I suspect the REM on mine needs replacing to improve gear changes and I will definately replace the gearbox fluid on its next service. I just can't get the gear changes "right" all the time, even though I've driven many manual cars. I am finding I need to hold the accelerator pedal a lot more between gear changes for a smooth transition (on other manual cars usually I'd back my foot off considerably). I definately wouldn't go from 1st to 3rd on a regular basis unless you want a stuffed gearbox.

When funds permit, I'll definately be getting an ECU reflash to remove the 1/2nd restrictor, improve fuel economy a bit, and also get a replacement intercooler to reduce heat soak. But it's been a long hot summer in Melbourne which makes our little turbos not very happy

How are you finding fuel economy? Mine has progressively improved, I'm averaging around 10 - 11L/100km (city traffic), and a boxed SRI also gives me an extra 50km from the tank. I'm trying out different 98RON fuels at the moment, having started with BP Ultimate (the most expensive) and now 7-Eleven 98RON (which is Mobil without any fancy additives I believe - I'm getting better fuel economy it seems and less black crud builds up in the exhaust, maybe a good sign).

JB
    Last edited by Byrd; 19-02-2013 at 08:52 AM.

I'm on my 3 tanks till date. I too average around 10-11km (pure city traffic with mixed of little peak and more off peak). Getting a box for my SRI is also on the card as the intake temp increase real quick in traffic......(but getting more mileage out of it, is a bonus )

As for gearbox, yes i will definitely be changing that as well very soon. Have the famous woop woop sound when the car's cold + doing tight turns.

My plan of attack, is to get a throttle controller (ordered) from Pivot Japan, which will make the shifting alot more liveable. (had the same issue when i have my Ralliart Colt and the throttle controller totally saved me )

The Pivot throttle controller looks interesting, is it easy to install/how much did you get it for shipped?

JB

Haven't got it yet. But i would expect it to be relatively easy to install (the most difficult part, would just be getting a power source hooked on to the unit). Not sure on the shipped pricing yet as my contact there need to get his hand on the item first, before giving me the final pricing. But going by how good the exchange rate is nowadays with Japan, it will be somewhere between 250-300 delivered via EMS.

Default Re: Hi all - Looking for a Gen 1 MPS3

Crap 1-2 shift cause of triple synchros
    Bunny hop is driver fail
    That pivot throttle controller looks like a complete waste of money, a flash tune will fix throttle tables and it's also useful for ECU to keep control to in case of over boost situations

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Crap 1-2 shift cause of triple synchros
    Bunny hop is driver fail
    That pivot throttle controller looks like a complete waste of money, a flash tune will fix throttle tables and it's also useful for ECU to keep control to in case of over boost situations
    keep control of boost = i agree, but waste of money as flash tune fixes the table = i don't agree.

Can i guess that you never had a throttle controller in your cars before, ya? Because no one that had one, would ever said its a waste of money. In fact, most people that had one, will refuse to go back without one.

Changing the throttle via flash tune is kinda like a aftermarket shock/spring suspension change (where you are fixed down to 1 settings and the car owner will have no input or control over how he would like it the best) and changing the throttle controller is like a coilover where its has multiple adjustments (and that you can adjust to what suits you best through long term experimenting).

In this case, a throttle controller's like 1/2 to 1/3 cost of a flash tune and i'm still relatively happy with how the stock car performs, so its a no brainer for me

Btw, i totally agree with bunny hop is so driver's fail........i sucked at using any heavy clutches (i find the stock clutch on the heavier side)

Default Re: Hi all - Looking for a Gen 1 MPS3

Get an access port or versatuner, change maps in 1-2 minutes... And there is throttle plate control tables in the mps which determine how far the throttle plate is opened based on accelerator positioning

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Get an access port or versatuner, change maps in 1-2 minutes... And there is throttle plate control tables in the mps which determine how far the throttle plate is opened based on accelerator positioning

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Hmmm.....that sounded quite interesting then. Pity I have already committed to the throttle controller and that no budget to get a AP......for now

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123