User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi all - Looking for a Gen 1 MPS3

Default Hi all - Looking for a Gen 1 MPS3

Hi everyone,

Just thought i get everyone's advise on a Gen 1 MPS3. Always loved their looks and their raw power, but not so sure about the reliability. Can someone shed some light in terms of how reliable are they in general and what to look out when i go to inspect one??

Regards,
    Ryan

If well cared for, they are more reliable than most cars - and being a Mazda 3 means parts are easy and relatively cheap to obtain. That's one of the attractions I had to it when I picked up an MPS Gen 1 a couple of months ago. Of course over time things will fail, but there appears to be no common showstopping faults with the car unlike others. Obviously look for a full service history and question any parts that were replaced well before they should fail (eg. turbo, driveline, suspension). A good example owned by an "enthusiast" would hopefully have had more frequent oil changes, serviced at a Mazda stealership, good paint condition, etc.

I was originally looking at SP23s, all of which were older models (2004 - 5) with higher k's - they were all in poor condition and well worn. I didn't think twice when an immaculate, well-priced MPS came my way, admittedly with high kms (147K), but clearly was always babied and well kept - thing feels and drives like new.

JB
    Last edited by Byrd; 16-01-2013 at 08:21 PM.

thanks for the reply. Isn't that the Gen 1 has common issues like turbo seal failure, engine mount??

I wouldn't call them common issues in a stock car.

Engine mount $130 brand new(cp-e duro75) and about $80 labour to install. Turbo seals ? Yeah the point when you start to question the seals is about 110 thousand klms and that's good for any car . I just bought a spare turbo and its only a (just in case) turbo for $150 second hand with Manifold attached as well.

So as said above cheap parts awsome power for a hot hatch and price range. I bought mine 12 months ago and I am not light on the pedal and it hasn't skipped a beat. I have 110 klms on the clock and my turbo is still strong. The fact I like is its a V8 killer and people just cant believe all this (from a Mazda 3) I love it ...........good luck with your decision
    Last edited by Aussie Mps3; 18-01-2013 at 12:24 AM.
    -ETS TMIC - 2XS SRI and HEATSHIELD K & N POD - 2XS BOV - REDLINEGOODS LEATHER SHIFTBOOT AND ARMREST - AUTOEXEC COILOVERS JDM - JUSTSPEED DOWNPIPE-CP-E DURO 75 REM-HYPERTECH TUNED-EONON SAT/NAV INDASH- SPEEDLINE ENGINE STRUT BRACE-

Glad I could help

Default Re: Hi all - Looking for a Gen 1 MPS3

He's left you cold man. Hopefully he'll come back with some thanks.

Sent from Samsung Note 2 LTE

He he all good I just don't know how anyone could resist ,once one of these little babies is set up to your liking and at a over all minor cost,I cannot think of a better car for the output and huge smile on your face

Sorry for the late reply being busy looking up carsales.com and arranging inspection. Got 2 inspection tomorrow.........any thread here I can read up on, so I know what to look out for in a inspection?

He he was kidding mate its been a long day here. Just your normal run of the mill inspection , don't freak with a slightly noisy gearbox, all sport gear boxes are noisy. A good service record and overall good care of the car, noisy valves can be an issue, also the VVT and timing chain on start up its really quick but if its noisy can be up to 2 k to repair so start her up with window down and listen for a chain rattle will go as quick as it comes and a good bartering tool to get a cheaper price good luck mate
    Last edited by Aussie Mps3; 19-01-2013 at 11:16 PM.
    -ETS TMIC - 2XS SRI and HEATSHIELD K & N POD - 2XS BOV - REDLINEGOODS LEATHER SHIFTBOOT AND ARMREST - AUTOEXEC COILOVERS JDM - JUSTSPEED DOWNPIPE-CP-E DURO 75 REM-HYPERTECH TUNED-EONON SAT/NAV INDASH- SPEEDLINE ENGINE STRUT BRACE-

Sweet. Good man and good luck. Make sure you walk away after each inspection.

Tell us what you find, will be interesting to hear what's out there...

Sent from Samsung Note 2 LTE

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Mps3 View Post
    He he was kidding mate its been a long day here. Just your normal run of the mill inspection , don't freak with a slightly noisy gearbox, all sport gear boxes are noisy. A good service record and overall good care of the car, noisy valves can be an issue, also the VVT and timing chain on start up its really quick but if its noisy can be up to 2 k to repair so start her up with window down and listen for a chain rattle will go as quick as it comes and a good bartering tool to get a cheaper price good luck mate
    Oh shit, in this case, it will be super hard me to find out about the vvt/timing chain issue as I'm only looking into private sales. Would be very hard to get the buyer to let me meet at their place for a cold start test.......

You only have to leave it for about an hour or more to notice it its pretty random just tell them one time and then show up way early lol

So, went to test drive 2 mps today. One with only 60+ on the clock and another with 90+. Looked at the 60 in the morning and it really catch my eye for the condition it is in. Had a good chat with the owner and he said he service the car every 10k......? Is that even right? Other than that, the car's in good condition and felt solid all around. As for the 90 one, let's just say, it's a piece of crap and cannot compare to the morning 60 one.

Guess I need to test drive a few more with higher mileage ones (have to put aside the mindset of less mileage = better)

10,000 is the normal service interval.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Keep looking mate no rush and take a few 3 series for a run as well hehe I am not being bias . Let us allknow how your going too.

And any help let us know good luck mate you will find her eyes calling you

In a few days time, I should get my hands on a very mint black 08 fingers crossed about the mechanical inspection (but the test drive and visual inspection gets a thumbs up from me)

So excited

Unless its an oil filter most Mazda parts are as rare as rocking horse shit.

Awesome mate well done glad you found her

Thanks guys. The most annoying thing is, to organize a pre purchase inspection (even worse when its Aus Day long weekend where i can't get hold of anyone )

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast