User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Let the VT tuning begin!

Ok, this is one for all you smarty poo bottom computer nerds to laugh at, I also laughed so its ok!
    I consider myself to be a bit of a traditionalist, you know, thongs, utes and pens on paper rather then using a computer for a useful purposes like data bases and that boring shit! My occupation doesnt require the use of a computers much, you get the picture
    The unfurtunate part of this is when it comes to using one I find myself needing to learn more then just the VT software and as a result I avoid what ever I can when it comes to using a computer, not a big deal, hard way around works and I my time is free!
    Im getting to the point! Just gotta pull puppy dog face first!
    So today I thought to myself "self, you need to pull your finger out and start to get some practical experience!" Off to work I went, laptop under my arm ready to do one self appointed practical exercise on the way home! MAF CAL 101 practice!
    I start my car and while its warming up I get lappy out, plug in to car open maf cal preset and off I go! The goal being to get a steady throttle and maf volts, just one small section of info to enter into the VT maf cal worksheet! All good
    This is where the traditional part of me comes out! A few months ago I got Emma to print me out the worksheet (thats the first mistake lol) so when I got my act together I could bust out the pen and paper! I pic my one point of the log and start filling out the sheet and something just isnt adding up! ( insert more laughs here ) I can tell Im missing the little bits of math that would really help! stands out like dog balls actually! its time to employe the girl friend at this stage to tell me what Im doing wrong (more laughs) Ah! so the worksheet does the math for you! great idea! After reading that much I basically forgot to read! second nature to most of you! Anyway as it was a practical learning exercise today I have learnt the following, ms excel, basic math and alegbra, maf cal and using VT software! so not all bad, just a laugh for you all!
    Not wanting to waste 50 pages of good paper I also wrote the math at the top of the printed worksheets lol
    Every man should have a V8 ute.....with a Chev badge.....and a Southern Cross sticker! Mods? What mods?

Nice one Mitch. Feels good to test the brain a little doesn't it. Just like moving from IPhone to Android.

Sent from Samsung Note 2 LTE

Bwhahaha...My new name for you stands...Electrotard

Found myself with a day off to do some logs, after a short period of time I realised just how out of hand things could get above 1.80v and being a public holiday/ double demerits weekend not a wise idea! sketchy shit !

Come on get this thing in order.. Pull ur finger out.... Im inpatient!!!

@MPS2NV Any updates here mate? I have flashed my Genpu with this and it surprised me a bit, very happy. Let us know how things are going on your end.

Still playing with Maf cal, to many short roads and to many high speeds so makes life hard but what things I have got right seem to be heading in the right direction, don't play with it very often so each step takes months lol this thread will go for years lol

Small up date, after going through a of the logs I realised that times of oppertunity are not the best way to try and get good info
    In the mean time I have done some general performance logs to check whats going on in current state of tune like knock and boost.
    Given the only real change to the current tune is CP-e 3.25 base maf cal, things are as good as to be expected! (the car has done more k's the last few months than what it has for the last 3 years! still not many!)
    Although I had 0'd out WGDC table boost was hitting almost 22psi, which apart from being high its not a great start when boost control is very important! When the whole WGDC table is 0'd out you should be running WG actuator spring pressure which is typically lower then 22psi, after checking the basics such as EBCS hose orientation, loose or split hoses, interference on mechanical parts I then ran down to the local tool shop to get vacuum/pressure test tool (which of course is to specialty for super cheap lol) Trying another suggested way I modified my tyre pressure gauge! This is a very hard way to check WGA accurately given the control you have when using such a method. Usually when testing WGA's the manufacturer of turbo will specify amount or rod movement @ psi or visa versa, this is to help test the WGA and check what boost pressure the WGA operates at. So basically I wasted my time and wasnt going to rely on the results. While I was in the WGA area of the engine bay I decided I would adjust the rod (wind it out to lower my WGA boost pressure) and remove the EBCS to go for a drive with the PC! So it appears I am running around 17.31psi, not sure if thats ideal but I would prefer it to be a little lower. My last attempt to identify what WGA is on my turbo I searched the part number to no real advantage So if any one else has a GTX3071r and would like to check their WGA part# and tell me the pressure that would be nice
    Stating the obvious may sound silly, but do these checks after fitting a big turbo and before hitting the go pedal!
    As it stands with my progress I want to know my boost control is managed while I sort out maf cals.
    In the mean time Im enjoying learning my way around in the land of Versatuner!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	15371   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	15372  
    Last edited by MPS2NV; 20-10-2013 at 07:49 PM.
    Every man should have a V8 ute.....with a Chev badge.....and a Southern Cross sticker! Mods? What mods?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12