User Tag List

Thread: Rear driver side rattle noise

Default Rear driver side rattle noise

So only recently my mps3 gen1 with tein ss coilovers fitted(still in fairly new good condition) started having a moderate/loud metal rattling noise from the rear drive side while driving on almost any surface(obviously louder and more frequent on bumpy roads). I've jacked the car up 3 times and the checked the wheels, wheel bearing, sway bar(endlinks, bushes), springs, shocks, rotors and calipers and nothing seems to be out of place or playing up.

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by skylain View Post
    So only recently my mps3 gen1 with tein ss coilovers fitted(still in fairly new good condition) started having a moderate/loud metal rattling noise from the rear drive side while driving on almost any surface(obviously louder and more frequent on bumpy roads). I've jacked the car up 3 times and the checked the wheels, wheel bearing, sway bar(endlinks, bushes), springs, shocks, rotors and calipers and nothing seems to be out of place or playing up.

Any thoughts?
    I had this noise on the passenger rear side. I had aftermarket Moog end links fitted and we originally thought it was those. After the OEM end links were put on noise went away, but another problem occurred

Check the bolt that attaches to the bottom of the shock to the car

If the OEM bolt has been used, you might find that the bolt is too short for the aftermarket shocker. You may also find out the the noise only occurs under load (when vehicle is on the ground)

I have Koni Shocks and the bolt was so short it only had 5 threads to hang on to and eventually sheared off

Still yet to get Moog Endlinks checked out to confirm if they too were buggered. I'll get pics of the bolt and and actually how much thread was hanging. When first installed, they must have used loctite as it held on for almost a year. But when the shock was removed and put back the bolt's thread would have weakened and without loctite, it only lasted about an hour

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

Thanks for the great response!

I'm gunna head straight out to check it now.

P.S. When the car is stationary, I can hear the noise when I lift and rock the car up and down. Its definately coming from the area mentioned above.

Thanks for the great response!

I'm gunna head straight out to check it now.

P.S. When the car is stationary, I can hear the noise when I lift and rock the car up and down. Its definately coming from the area mentioned above.
    Mechanic is receiving replacement bolts from a supplier that are longer and will fit properly today

I can only speak of the Koni FSDs for a Mazda 3 GenII as I am not sure what other shock manufactures or models have at the end of theirs. But your problem appeared to be very very similar to mine

I am gonna check my fronts out as I can only assume this is is a problem for me there too

Peter "SLIXX"

Currently RaydTuned

Did you check your exhaust hangers?
    Mine was banging, rattling like metal, something to check I guess

Just took it to my local mechanic and it looks like its the shock.. He was still not 100% certain because he couldn't replicate the noise while car was on the hoist. But everything else was checked and it seems to be the shock. I'm gunna take the shock out myself, see if theres any rattle and maybe even swap it to the passenger side to see if the noise is carried over.

Just took it to my local mechanic and it looks like its the shock.. He was still not 100% certain because he couldn't replicate the noise while car was on the hoist. But everything else was checked and it seems to be the shock. I'm gunna take the shock out myself, see if theres any rattle and maybe even swap it to the passenger side to see if the noise is carried over.
    Mine only happened when the shock was under load (on the ground)

Check the bolt near the Endlink and make sure it's long enough and if need be order some new ones

Peter "SLIXX"

Currently RaydTuned

So here are the photos of the bolts that were holding my Konis in place

Left hand side (noisy side)
    You can how far the bolt went in and how much thread was holding on. Also see where the thread is completely stripped as it let go and my car bottomed out

Right hand side
    This side was hanging on, but you distinctly see that the thread is wearing and eventually would let go

Original these were put in with loctite and possible were holding on, but you can where the thread was wearing and the shock was knocking on the body of the car. Once these were removed during the investigation of the knocking sound, they were put back in without loctite. The noise returned after about 30kms and was louder and then eventually let go

Peter "SLIXX"

Currently RaydTuned

Thanks soo much for the help SLIXX. All I can say now if the problem is fixed and the car rides like a dream

The rattle noise was indeed from the shock. The damper seemed to be set beyond the stiffest setting... so how?
    I found this out only by playing around with the adjustment and decided to force it really hard anti-clockwise and it slowly loosened up until it felt like the left shocks damper adjuster.
    After that I removed the main bolt from the bottom of the shock, checked it and everything seemed fine so I bolted it up nice and tight.

Oh such a massive sigh of relief! For a few days there I was pissed off thinking I had to get a new set of shocks..

Glad it's all fixed mate

Peter "SLIXX"