User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MZR Timing Chain Issues

1. Default MZR Timing Chain Issues

Just wondering how many members out there have had issues with the timing chain stretching or problems with the VVT actuator. My car is suffering from one or the other, or both not sure which at this point of time. Keen to hear from other owners who have encountered the same issue. I plan to take it up with Mazda next time the car goes in for service. I see that on some of the other OS forums, that owners have had some success getting the dealers to replace either or both under warranty.

very rare issue. generally the chain stretches by the time you pass the 200,000km mark or you have to change the chain tensioner.

as for the S-VT actuator, only ever heard of one person in the states having an issue with it.

Jeev's timing chain was so loose it slapped against the rocker cover when he started his car up. That was after about 9 million k's tho.

seen VVT's and timing chains go on people with under 100,000km, but i think it's part of the 150,000km service to replace it all...

Quote Originally Posted by Dissolusioned View Post
    Just wondering how many members out there have had issues with the timing chain stretching or problems with the VVT actuator. My car is suffering from one or the other, or both not sure which at this point of time. Keen to hear from other owners who have encountered the same issue. I plan to take it up with Mazda next time the car goes in for service. I see that on some of the other OS forums, that owners have had some success getting the dealers to replace either or both under warranty.
    Had my pretensioner and VVT actuator done under warranty..
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Quote Originally Posted by ttshark View Post
    very rare issue. generally the chain stretches by the time you pass the 200,000km mark or you have to change the chain tensioner.

as for the S-VT actuator, only ever heard of one person in the states having an issue with it.
    The chain stretching is wear/tear though the pretensioner/vvt issues are not uncommon...

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/engin...vt-issues.html
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...-cx7-2-3t.html
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/gener...hing-else.html
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/gener...t-problem.html
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/engin...-actuator.html
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/gener...ine-noise.html
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/gener...n-74-000k.html
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...-actuator.html
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...have-done.html
    Last edited by Jmac; 08-01-2013 at 11:53 AM.

-= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

i heard timing chain and tensioner is good for 150000km, do you guys reckon sooner? one of the reasons i bought an mps over say a golf gti - coz it runs a chain over a belt.

Default Re: MZR Timing Chain Issues

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky69r View Post
    i heard timing chain and tensioner is good for 150000km, do you guys reckon sooner? one of the reasons i bought an mps over say a golf gti - coz it runs a chain over a belt.
    I'd check the service manual. We are taking premature failure here so most likely you will be fine.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD

9. Default

To all those that replied thanks.

Broken Timing Chain is the culprit at @ 170000 km, zero mods on a stock and I do mean stock car. FSH with 95 % of services at the dealership we purchased the car from.

My wife drives like she has an egg under her foot, clutch only recently replaced but that is another story.

Anyway, the vehicle is out of warranty and I went back to Mazda over the failure. Not sure of the damage that has been done to the internals of the engine at this point in time primarily due to the fact that its taken 2 weeks of tooing and froing to have Mazda and the dealership wipe their hands totally of any responsibility on this.

I will be getting a second opinion, as your motor has obviously reached the end of its life cycle explanation does not sit well with me at all.

Had I known this was the case would have never of shelled out 50 k plus for the car.

Does anyone know of any other instances where similar failures have occurred within Australia on the MZR motors. I will NEVER and I repeat be NEVER buying another Mazda again. Nor will my wife for that matter either.

Keen to heart of other like described failures. I was told that it could be cam failure, not enough oil or bottom end failure. My suspicion is the cam chain has let go but that remains to be seen, once the oil is drained and sumo checked for debris. I'll be getting the oil tested too.

Can you refer to the manual and check the service interval on the timing chain/tensioner?
    Any chance it has not been serviced correctly?

i would normally do both these iteams on the 100k service and most cars these days say to replace timing chain at this point.

i would also do both the chain and tensioner at the same time.

Check to see if it's been done.

Another option you can explore is the idea of a statutory warranty.

This is a law that a lot of people don't know about, it is written in law that products sold in this country must be warrantied for what is known as a "reasonable lifetime" It's quite loosely defined but you'd expect a car to last 10 years if properly maintained. I had a TV that blew up on me just outside of the manufacturers warranty but we had it replaced because we argued that you expect a TV to last at least 5 maybe 10.

If its been serviced by the dealer, they haven't done the servicing properly if its in the book when it should be replaced.
    But
    As for statutory warranty as Rededy talks about. The vast majority of cars need timing belt/chain replaced before 150,000km at the latest.
    A lot of cars, timing belts are to be replaced at 80,000km.

The problem is, most cars are designed for over seas markets. If a belt/chain is due to be replaced at 100,000km (for example) that in a lot of countries is a lot more years worth of driving than in Australia

14. Default MZR Timing Chain Issues

Timing "chains" shouldn't have to be replaced, but there is a bulletin on the mps6 for stretching of the chain the VVT actuator so it should be done under warranty no matter what. Ill get more info tmoz. (I work for Mazda)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mazda USA has confirmed VVT Actuator and timing issue to be replaced for free if the car is less than 7 years old.

I called Mazda Australia to advise and see if they are doing the same since its a type of "recall" and they basically said no because we aren't the Americans

This was about 6 months ago.

Hopefully they smarten up

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
    - Johnny

2007 Mazda 3 MPS Luxury / True Red / AEM CAI / CorkSport TIP / 3rd Res Delete

16. Default

Brooksyman is correct they should not ever need replacing, designed correctly they should outlast most engines. However, in this particular instance Mazda MPS chains are prone to stretching. I am not a mechanic, and certainly not aware of this issue until I started doing some research both in Aus and overseas to find out that it is a real problem with this Motor both within the 3's and 6's. Mazda USA did the right thing and extended the warranty because they have much better consumer protection laws. In Australia the only recall car manufacturers ever do is if its serious safety issue and they are likely to get sued from it. mazda's response to the US technical bulletin, not applicable cause the cars are made differently, the only think that's different is the emission controls, tuning and the chassis number prefixs. These cars are made in the same factory for a World Market.

My advice to anyone who owns one, check the video's on You tube. Then start your car cold and see if you can hear the same noise coming from the front of your motor. If you can work it out place the tip of a screwdriver on the cover and maintain contact with the cam cover. It has the effect of amplifying the sound I am told. However, if your chain is back it will sound like a diesel when started up. The other method is removing the oil fill cap and putting your finger inside, locate the chain (ideally when its cold) again youtube is a great source for showing you how much play or movement should be in the chain, and the answer is not alot.

You wont be able to tell if the chain pensioner is at its maximum either because mazda have placed it inside the cam cover ??????? Do your home work and save yourself a complete engine rebuild or replacement with a second hand one, there is not alot difference in price. I have done the research.

If you are within the warranty period get them to replace it. Force the issue. Document it and go with a written second opinion if necessary.

No they wont smarten up, people are waking up to the fact they provide lip service and will back the dealer at every opportunity. Once you sign the papers to buy that car, the customer service honeymoon is over and you have been 'serviced' so to speak.

Don't think that because you get your car serviced at dealer that it offers any form of protection or insurance either. In the long run find someone that is recommended and you can build a re pore with mazda are not the only people who can supply parts and work on your car.

Just to clarify.. please turn OFF the motor before opening the oil filler cap and touching the chain.. and make sure its cool..
    I shouldn't have to say this but nothing would cease to amaze me these days.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

18. Default

Brooksyman is correct they should not ever need replacing, designed correctly they should outlast most engines. However, in this particular instance Mazda MPS chains are prone to stretching. I am not a mechanic, and certainly not aware of this issue until I started doing some research both in Aus and overseas to find out that it is a real problem with this Motor both within the 3's and 6's. Mazda USA did the right thing and extended the warranty because they have much better consumer protection laws. In Australia the only recall car manufacturers ever do is if its serious safety issue and they are likely to get sued from it. mazda's response to the US technical bulletin, not applicable cause the cars are made differently, the only think that's different is the emission controls, tuning and the chassis number prefixs. These cars are made in the same factory for a World Market.

My advice to anyone who owns one, check the video's on You tube. Then start your car cold and see if you can hear the same noise coming from the front of your motor. If you can work it out place the tip of a screwdriver on the cover and maintain contact with the cam cover. It has the effect of amplifying the sound I am told. However, if your chain is back it will sound like a diesel when started up. The other method is removing the oil fill cap and putting your finger inside, locate the chain (ideally when its cold) again youtube is a great source for showing you how much play or movement should be in the chain, and the answer is not alot.

You wont be able to tell if the chain pensioner is at its maximum either because mazda have placed it inside the cam cover ??????? Do your home work and save yourself a complete engine rebuild or replacement with a second hand one, there is not alot difference in price. I have done the research.

If you are within the warranty period get them to replace it. Force the issue. Document it and go with a written second opinion if necessary.

No they wont smarten up, people are waking up to the fact they provide lip service and will back the dealer at every opportunity. Once you sign the papers to buy that car, the customer service honeymoon is over and you have been 'serviced' so to speak.

Don't think that because you get your car serviced at dealer that it offers any form of protection or insurance either. In the long run find someone that is recommended and you can build a re pore with mazda are not the only people who can supply parts and work on your car.

19. Default

I'll post some pics once the motor is torn down.

Good point make sure the motor is not running and cold when you remove the oil cap and put your fingers in there. Using a torch will help you locate it really easily. I've seen instances where they have stretched some much they have come off the gears.

I did receive and interesting video of the motor turning over, the outside belts and pulleys cracking around while the cam chain was sitting there not moving.

I had a 1-2 second rattle at startup only on both my mps gen1's

The first car I thought nothing of it but upon buying my current mps with the same noise (at 95k) I had it checked out by mazda and it was diagnosed as a stretched chain, ended up having it replaced along with the tensioner, water pump and vvt actuator at a cost of nearly 2k. Didn't sound anything like some of the machine guns I have heard on youtube, and replacing all that stuff was probably overkill but went ahead with it anyway to be sure.

When i got it back, the noise at startup seemed less pronounced but still there. The mechanic that did the work said just dip the clutch when starting the car, so I did and it started without noise. So all I can say is dip your clutches! and be sure this is not just a noisy thrust bearing before you drop 2k on this. I'm left doubting whether the noise I had wasn't just 100% from the thrust bearing.
    '06 True Red 3 MPS Sports. Stock!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast