User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help on most cost effective freight methods

Default Help on most cost effective freight methods

Hey gang,
    I'm sure this has been covered at some stage but am kind of at a loss to know where to start looking on the forum....i'm thinking of purchasing something from Japan @ Japanparts & am needing some advice/guidance on the most cost effective way to freight it to Brisbane.....I've included some details below of options that were given to me when i proceeded to check-out. Before i pull the trigger i just need to know whether it will be possible to use the "seaport method" and whether there are additional charges above what they're quoting. I've heard about freight forwarding companies...is this what they maybe referring to below? and am i on the right track? If so can anyone reccomend a company they've used or know of so i can make contact to receive more info....

Thanks and hope to receive some good advise as usual BTW i hope everyone saw in the New Year on a high!

Please advise your choice of delivery
    method.

Your freight is fully insured.

To Door:
    110,454 yen(JPY)

(1237.08
    AUD)

<To Door> We use EMS, FedEx, UPS, TNT, DHL or
    aircargo to send. However, you can NOT choose the shipping company. Tax and duty
    are not included. <To Airport> <To Seaport> You will need to pay not
    only tax and duty but also other cost, like custom clearance fee, handling fee..
    more
    info

To Airport:

89,535 yen(JPY)
    (1002.79
    AUD)

To Seaport:

35,998 yen(JPY)

(403.18
    AUD)
    ( + 25 days )

For seaport shipping, we need the name of Notify Party such as:
    Customs
    broker within U.S. (if shipped to U.S.) or Legal person such as place of work,
    tuning shop, customs broker (if not shipped to U.S.) Please write one in the
    comment section.
    Last edited by LRRH; 01-01-2013 at 08:17 AM.
    2XS RACING $ CORKSPORT $ MAGNAFLOW $ ​UNSURE MOTORSPORTS $ COBB $ INJEN $ FULCRUM $ FEDERAL TYRES $ VISUAL GARAGE $ ADVANCED PERFORMANCE CENTRE $ B C M $ NGK $ STRATIFIED $ AUTOTECH $ DBA $ REMSA $ DGR $ MORIMOTO $ JBR $ FUSION

Hey Bob I would ask Eddie im sure he said he has already bought parts from Japan see what he recommends .....what are you buying?

Ok thanks Zane might PM Eddie, happy to hear from others as well ....let's just say i'm doing an upgrade ...watch this space hehe..

Default Re: Help on most cost effective freight methods

Hmmm. Interesting. Perhaps if I go through their whole catalogue and see which one comes out at same freight ill work it out...

Or go have some fish and chips for lunch down at Surfers... Hmmm...

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    Hmmm. Interesting. Perhaps if I go through their whole catalogue and see which one comes out at same freight ill work it out...

Or go have some fish and chips for lunch down at Surfers... Hmmm...

Brad don't be a party pooper and go treat yourself to fish and chips lol
    2XS RACING $ CORKSPORT $ MAGNAFLOW $ ​UNSURE MOTORSPORTS $ COBB $ INJEN $ FULCRUM $ FEDERAL TYRES $ VISUAL GARAGE $ ADVANCED PERFORMANCE CENTRE $ B C M $ NGK $ STRATIFIED $ AUTOTECH $ DBA $ REMSA $ DGR $ MORIMOTO $ JBR $ FUSION

In my experience when I bought wheels from Japanparts, it cost more to get it sent to airport than door-to-door after you factor in port clearance charges, brokerage fees etc. Plus it's more hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by tangcla View Post
    In my experience when I bought wheels from Japanparts, it cost more to get it sent to airport than door-to-door after you factor in port clearance charges, brokerage fees etc. Plus it's more hassle.
    Hmmm thanks for the info Clarence. Looking like it may be more expense and hassle then i first thought. However i was given a contact of a Broker based in Japan from Eddie @3MPSPWR (thanks again Eddie) so am hoping this may make things a little more straight forward. Will update this post once i've received some feedback to let everyone know how things have transpired.

Would be good to know exactly what the customs clearance and brokerage fees are upfront, so you can get a good idea of what the final shipping cost is. Unfortunately Japanparts never provided me that information (as the costs are out of their control) so it'd be great if you could make an informed decision!

Assume about 20-25% to get your stuff out of customs (10% duty + 10% import tax on top of that)

Plus brokerage fees,forklift/port handling fees and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Assume about 20-25% to get your stuff out of customs (10% duty + 10% import tax on top of that)
    Just looked at this on gov website and because the item is valued under 1k I think I will only need to pay 10% gst but happy to be corrected in case I've missed something...I'm getting closer to a deal with Eddie's contact and it looks like it may end up being fairly good value this guy is very good, quick replies to my emails all day even if responding to knob questions. Google Jesse streeter. Watch this space

If it's under $1K including freight, then you shouldn't need to pay anything door-to-door.

If it's under $1K including freight, then you shouldn't need to pay anything door-to-door.
    Hey Clarence it will be a bit over 1k including freight. I didn't realise they would tax me on the freight component as well! Anyways will have more info shortly.

They shouldn't but just in case... better safe than sorry.
    If it's under $1K then you shouldn't (emphasis on shouldn't) need to pay GST.

I'm ordering something from USA (new wheels, yay!) and the seller has also told me that the cost of shipping isn't taken into account when calculating import duty.

I'm ordering something from USA (new wheels, yay!) and the seller has also told me that the cost of shipping isn't taken into account when calculating import duty.

Oooh what wheels are you getting do share? I understand you should expect to pay (at the most) 18% of the value of the wheels if they are more then 1k

These ones in gunmetal.

Well first thanks @3MPSPWR for supplying me with a reliable broker in Japan - Jesse Streeter. Without his help i'm sure importing a component such as a complete front bar for a Gen2 MPS would be frought with minefields & undiscovered/unexpected costs but with Jesse's help it looks like i've managed to secure a deal that includes all of the misc importing charges delivered to JDM Garage in Brisbane (collection point) . This is a warts and all breakdown for anyone interested in starting this journey. Obviously just an example as this is specific to my purchase but it will hopefully give a few of you a better idea of the costs involved. It's worth mentioning that an item this size can not be shipped by usual air or sea freight but had to be piggy-backed in a container by Jesse's Australian contact JDM Garage. The inherent issue/risk with this is they are unable to offer insurance.

IMO i think it will be worth the extra money and effort!

If shipped by JDMGarage`s Container (Brisbane)

Rough TOTAL in AUD: $1,255

For details please see below break down of costs.

Cost of item ¥71,400 = $800 (Approx)
    Ship item to the yard ¥3,150 = $38 (Approx)
    Bank fee to pay seller ¥630 = $7 (Approx)
    My commission + handeling costs ¥8,470 *this is more than my usual % = $95 (Approx)
    as we have to include storage/packing at the yard.
    Aus GST + duties ¥14,280 = $165 (Approx)

Shipping to Brisbane $150

Rough TOTAL in AUD: $1,255

And this is what the effort's all about!!

Thanks for reading! Zoom Zoom

Last edited by LRRH; 10-01-2013 at 06:30 PM.

Looks fantastic!! We'll have to make sure that gets photographed.

Well done Bob. Super jealous. It's the one I wanted but couldn't talk myself into it.

"he who dares... FTW"

Hopefully you'll have it here and fitted by March.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast