User Tag List

Thread: Reverse camera - where does it go on MPS 3?

Default Reverse camera - where does it go on MPS 3?

Hi,

I bought a flip-up OEM style Chinese GPS off the forums, it came with a reverse camera to suit a Mazda 3. Wouldn't mind installing it as I park in tight spots at work. Looks fairly easy to wire up, but I'm confused about where it clips in - has anyone done similar setups in their Gen 1 MPS3?

Pics attached, any pointers appreciated - does what I have look like it'll clip in somewhere (owing to the ... clip ... on the back )

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8939.JPG 
Views:	265 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	13389

Name:	IMG_8940.JPG 
Views:	269 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	13390

Name:	IMG_8941.JPG 
Views:	240 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	13391
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8938.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	279.8 KB 
ID:	13388  

Default Reverse camera - where does it go on MPS 3?

I'd hazard a guess that it replaces one of the number plate lights.

Default Re: Reverse camera - where does it go on MPS 3?

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEY View Post
    I'd hazard a guess that it replaces one of the number plate lights.
    ^this...

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Thread revival.

How did you go with this style camera on a Gen1? I ordered one off eBay, has the same style mount, but doesn't fit numberplate lights on a Gen1. Way too small, and wrong shape mounts.
    eBay listing said it replaced number plate nights on a 2004-2009 Mazda 3... ?

Edit: Have this sorted out. Doesn't replace the number plate light as first though - will post pics tomorrow in daylight.
    Last edited by bodyboardingbum; 16-08-2013 at 08:08 PM.

Hi mate,

Never did mine, but the camera I have (pictured) is notably the wrong one (think it's for a Mazda 2) - but I can unscrew the camera and stick/mount it somewhere thankfully, so going to give it a shot now.

How did you go with yours, where is the reverse wire you tapped into in the rear end of the car?

Thanks

JB

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
    Hi mate,

Never did mine, but the camera I have (pictured) is notably the wrong one (think it's for a Mazda 2) - but I can unscrew the camera and stick/mount it somewhere thankfully, so going to give it a shot now.

How did you go with yours, where is the reverse wire you tapped into in the rear end of the car?

Thanks

JB
    Just did mine today . used a generic camera with good pixel count, guide lines and fairly small.

Rear View IR Color Reverse Parking Camera Night Vision FOR CAR LCD Monitor 170° | eBay
    Fitted it right above the centre of the rear number plate. The camera has a video cable that has a red power line through it so you can tap the reversing light + from the front. Pain in the butt from the back as the reversing lights are in the boot lid. I found out from various forums that the reversing light + is a green with black stripe , obvious really you can check it out at the back of the reverse lights. Runs all the way through to the fuse box under the passenger side compartment. Open the fuse box its amongst the left hand side box of lines going out . Just an average thickness line with a fairly prominent black stripe through the green. Ran the vid cable down the right hand side of car and through a rubber grommit in the boot panel behind the rear right wheel that carries the number plate light lines to the bumper. Connected the - black to the nearest bit of clean metal in the panel above the grommit with a nut and bolt.

Have to say I am very impressed with these cheap Chinese units I have an Eonon. Got sat nav , bluetooth and now reversing camera not to mention the quality of sound coming out the unit is so much better. All good so far.

Thanks bugsly,

that's the sort of information I'm after - found lots of generic guides but nothing Mazda specific that made a decent amount of sense. My generic camera is exactly the same, with the long yellow RCA cable with red wires on each end. Just to clarify did you extend this red wire to the reverse light + on the front, and then on the other end of the cable extend and snake this red wire to the reverse + in the hatch? All up how long did it take?

Thanks

JB
    Last edited by Byrd; 25-08-2013 at 11:16 AM.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
    Thanks bugsly,

that's the sort of information I'm after - found lots of generic guides but nothing Mazda specific that made a decent amount of sense. My generic camera is exactly the same, with the long yellow RCA cable with red wires on each end. Just to clarify did you extend this red wire to the reverse light + on the front, and then on the other end of the cable extend and snake this red wire to the reverse + in the hatch? All up how long did it take?

Thanks

JB
    Yes thats correct , I attached the video cable to the back of the eanon and soldered an extension on the red line long enough to reach the fusebox. You open the fusebox like you are checking for a blown fuse. You can unhook it and pull it out a bit but i also unclipped the left hand box containing all the wire leads so i could work on the one i wanted Don't forget to unhook the battery. Down the other end its just red+ to red+ and black to any clear bit of body panel. I found a unused screw hole about 30cm above the rubber grommit behind the right hand side boot panel. Stick your head under the rear bumper just behind the rear right tyre you can easily see the line leading into the panel from beneath. I cut a little hole in the side of the rubber to fit the cable through. Takes a while to work out how to remove the panels, second time around it would probably only take an hour for a keen amateur.

Thanks bugsly - really appreciate the info, more comfortable doing it now. Funny because I was quite confident wiring up a car computer into the dash, but this got me buggered for some reason. I'll wire up the RCA red wire length beforehand so as to not have any surprises during the build.