User Tag List

Thread: P2096 CEL on a stock mazda 3 mps

Default P2096 CEL on a stock mazda 3 mps

hi,
    i got a P2096 CEL on a stock mazda 3 mps. No mod whatsoever.

i've searched in this forum and those who get P2096 CEL have done mods on the intake filter/downpipe.

i've sent my car to the service center but they just reset it. So far it has not returned. The service center guys are not familiar with mazda 3 mps and they will check with their HQ.

what do i need to tell those service center guys to check since they don't have a clue?

thanks

Not sure what code mine had but it turned out to be the o2 sensor so my 2 cents worth. Start there.

My car was 100% stock at the time and I think those getting the error who have done mods on exhaust are finding it is the o2 sensor.

Happy to be told I am wrong thou.

Sent from somewhere in this big wide world....

thanks for the sharing

coincidently my mps colour is same like yours

The P2096 can also indicate "running lean" condition. Check that you do not have any exhaust leaks as well. If not that then it could very well be an O2 sensor issue. Hope you get it sorted. GL

Quote Originally Posted by kippo View Post
    thanks for the sharing

coincidently my mps colour is same like yours
    Awesome color!!
    Queenslands Bossy Bitch

Yeah, double check your secondary o2 sensor is all the way in, not dirty/stuffed etc..
    Being secondary might not be able to tell by smell if its running rich due to af ratio

7. Default P2096 CEL on a stock mazda 3 mps

This code has been a bit of a mystery. Some believe it has to do with ebay down pipes and or HKS bpv's leaking. However, mine was triggered by my self induced lean burn condition for better MPG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

O2 sensor for sure if the car is stock. I had a P2096 code with my CPe DP that was very stubborn for months. Then one day it went away and has not come back.

thanks for d help

i've told my local mazda service center and i'm waiting for them to agree and get my car checked.

after many CEL clearing by the service center, they have replaced the secondary O2 sensor. After about a month use, the same CEL came back.

they re-checked both O2 sensors to be working fine. No hose clamp loose.

they took out the spark plugs and it looked black with soot. Is this normal due to stock tune AFR is rich?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 002s.jpg 
Views:	2001 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	16441Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 003s.jpg 
Views:	1159 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	16442

I recently took my factory sparkies out at 59k, and whilst they did look sooty and black (typical of this car I believe) they weren't as gunky as those appear to be. you have a cobb ap don't you?,

take a log and show some folks here, likey running rich even the cobb ots maps run rich I believe. May need a good tune i'm currently in progress with rayd (Have been been running corksport stage 2 sri/tip/ic map) and he has had to modify the mapping table quite significantly to bring things where they should be.
    Last edited by Mspec; 02-07-2014 at 12:47 PM.
    Corksport SRI// Corksport TIP// Race Pipe//​ Turbosmart BPV// Resonator Delete// JBR 80a RMM// Autotech HPFP// Cobb AP V3// HDI GT2 FMIC// ​NGK LTR7IX-11// Simota 360* Filter// Eonon GM5151-With Back Up Cam// ​RaydTuned

i haven't installed my AP as i want to fix my CEL first and for the service center to check on stock setup.

the TIP and tmic are clean.

want to be sure that the spark plugs condition is normal or abnormal as they recommend to replace it.