User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stock BPV mod

Default Stock BPV mod

Hey guys,

My mate was over yesterday admiring my new CPE TIP and AEM CAI and suggested I unplug a hose from the BPV (stock) and clamp it shut to give it a really nice sound.

I remember reading somewhere that advised against this but not too sure, he reckons its harmless and will be fine.

Anyone able to help?

Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Default Re: Stock BPV mod

Just buy an aftermarket bpv if the sound from the intake doesn't do it for you..... much safer, these cars work best with recirc.

Sent from Samsung Mobile

Turning stock bpv into a full VTA bov is silly... It also sounds crap

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I think he means block the bpv so it dozes

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Default Stock BPV mod

I've done this to mine and it doesn't sound that bad for a free mod. Yes it's not as loud as a aftermarket bov but when it's for free u can't complain lol

6. Default Stock BPV mod

I could really hear the stocker bpv after installing the corksport SRI + TIP combo. Ended up going a forge bpv v2 as its only marginally louder than the stock bpv

If you are talking about the recirculation hose you are causing compressor surge.. Not good.

Default Stock BPV mod

No u take of the standard bpv and put gasket paper over the hole. So instead of the excess boost dumping through the intake it flows back to the turbo.

Yeah like Jmac said thats bad. Your putting pressure back onto the turbo and making it prematurely slow down which WILL damage it over time. Some turbo's come with a anti surge housing, the k04 doesn't. The MPS has a BPV for a reason to relieve boost pressure after the throttle closes. If you have your car setup to block the BPV you might wanna remove it before you have to replace your turbo.
    Last edited by ledfootrob; 26-12-2012 at 04:54 PM.

Thanks a lot for your replies guys, much appreciated.

Each I decided to leave it as stock, don't want to risk further damage for noise.

Hope you guys had a merry Xmas :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

i always know that compressor surging is bad for your turbo, but i have a recirc turbosmart bov in my car, it makes the fluttering sound sometimes, is this bad? it is recirc back in to the air intake.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky69r View Post
    i always know that compressor surging is bad for your turbo, but i have a recirc turbosmart bov in my car, it makes the fluttering sound sometimes, is this bad? it is recirc back in to the air intake.
    If it flutters then you need to readjust the tension as it is too stiff. If the turbo flutters then you are getting back flow through the turbo. Remember that the turbo is spinning at high RPM's, between 100k and 160k depending on boost, and if you close the throttle plate the turbo is still spinning and boosting, this is where the BPV releases the pressure after the turbo by either recirc or VTA. If this does not occur the air flows back through the turbo putting large axial loads on the turbine shaft and this will damage the thrust washer/bearing on the turbo. Yes it does sound nice but it is very damaging to the turbo
    Cheers

Grumpy

Tuned with
    By Alex...........

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    If it flutters then you need to readjust the tension as it is too stiff. If the turbo flutters then you are getting back flow through the turbo. Remember that the turbo is spinning at high RPM's, between 100k and 160k depending on boost, and if you close the throttle plate the turbo is still spinning and boosting, this is where the BPV releases the pressure after the turbo by either recirc or VTA. If this does not occur the air flows back through the turbo putting large axial loads on the turbine shaft and this will damage the thrust washer/bearing on the turbo. Yes it does sound nice but it is very damaging to the turbo
    Great advice!

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

Default Stock BPV mod

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    I don't understand this ^^ I don't mean to be argumentative but I just can't see how slowing the turbo down with air can hurt it. It's not like it is adding massive amounts of excess heat on the turbine shaft and the bearing is a bearing and it capable of spinning both ways ( not that it would ever spin backwards as the down time wouldn't be long enough for it to do so.) the worst case I could ever see happening is bending a fin and I don't see that happening easily. Plus has anyone seen the turbine jet engines on YouTube? They seem to hold up and the force they take could never be achieved in a car setup. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KI5wAeJ...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by MPS86 View Post
    I don't understand this ^^ I don't mean to be argumentative but I just can't see how slowing the turbo down with air can hurt it. It's not like it is adding massive amounts of excess heat on the turbine shaft and the bearing is a bearing and it capable of spinning both ways ( not that it would ever spin backwards as the down time wouldn't be long enough for it to do so.) the worst case I could ever see happening is bending a fin and I don't see that happening easily. Plus has anyone seen the turbine jet engines on YouTube? They seem to hold up and the force they take could never be achieved in a car setup. homemade turbojet engine - YouTube
    it's cause the air goes back into the compressor wheel...
    it's spinning at 100,00+ rpm, and has the exhaust gasses spinning it (for arguments sake) clockwise...
    and if the air goes back into the outlet, it fights the hotside's exhaust gasses spinning the compressor...
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Default Stock BPV mod

So it slows it down slightly, don't see how this can cause major damage.

Quote Originally Posted by MPS86 View Post
    So it slows it down slightly, don't see how this can cause major damage.
    no, you have one set of gasses pushing it clockwise, one anticlockwise...

When I say bearing it is actually a flat bronze/brass washer, I can post a photo if you'd like. Our turbo's does not have bearings as you think of them, they run on two floating brass bushes. Turbo's with ceramic ball bearings can actually handle a fair bit more side/axial load than normal brass bush turbo's. I suggest you have a look at the difference between the two CHRA configurations, that will get you the answers you require. Happy to explain in detail if you like.

Default Stock BPV mod

Ok cool cool, like I said I'm not trying to argue just does make sense the way I'm thinking of it.

All my exits stay as exits only.. Lol.

Think carefully about why a blow off valve exists, now think - would it seem like a good idea to block off another integral part of the car? Stick a rag in your intake or exhaust seem like a good idea?

The turbo is designed to work a certain way and deal with loads in that direction.

Spend some time here;
    http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/faq

MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast