User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stock BPV mod

Default Stock BPV mod

When turbochargers operate in surge for long periods of time, bearing failures may occur. When referencing a compressor map, the surge line is the line bordering the islands on their far left side. Compressor surge is when the air pressure after the compressor is actually higher than what the compressor itself can physically maintain. This condition causes the airflow in the compressor wheel to back up, build pressure, and sometimes stall. In cases of extreme surge, the thrust bearings of the turbo can be destroyed

Default Stock BPV mod

Like I said all sounds well and good but really with from what I read garrett have written that this "may happen" not that it will happen. But I can see why people wouldn't want to block off the bpv.

Quote Originally Posted by MPS86 View Post
    When turbochargers operate in surge for long periods of time, bearing failures may occur. When referencing a compressor map, the surge line is the line bordering the islands on their far left side. Compressor surge is when the air pressure after the compressor is actually higher than what the compressor itself can physically maintain. This condition causes the airflow in the compressor wheel to back up, build pressure, and sometimes stall. In cases of extreme surge, the thrust bearings of the turbo can be destroyed
    Mate, compressor surge is a whole different kettle of fish. Surge and flutter are two different things, flutter happens on throttle shut and surge happens while on either partial or full throttle. Surge usually happens when the turbo compressor is too big in comparison to the turbine and it creates more boost than the engine can ingest. This also puts axial loads on the turbine shaft but not as constant as fluttering. Also make sure you know the difference between ball bearing turbo's and brass floating bearing/bush turbo's. Ball bearing turbo's can handle a significant amount more of axial thrust than it's brass counterparts. You also can't compare turbine jet engines with turbo's, they are designed for totally different objectives. Jet engines creates thrust, axial thrust, and are therefor designed to handle the axial forces, turbo's create air pressure/boost and are designed for lateral forces.
    Last edited by Grumpy; 07-01-2013 at 06:37 AM.
    Cheers

Grumpy

Tuned with
    By Alex...........

Default Re: Stock BPV mod

Quote Originally Posted by MPS86 View Post
    Like I said all sounds well and good but really with from what I read garrett have written that this "may happen" not that it will happen. But I can see why people wouldn't want to block off the bpv.
    Try it and let us know when its knackered lol.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Default Stock BPV mod

Yea the point I was getting at with the jet turbine engine was that they are homemade with a car turbo, but anyways I shall let you let know when/ if it dies jmac.

Default Stock BPV mod

Agree to disagree

Old post I know but there are a number of factory cars that have no blow off valve at all from the factory and make the "flutter" sound in factory state once the air box has been removed and I hear no reports of these cars having turbos fail as a common problem. 2 of these cars are the Vl turbo (rb30et) and the imported model of the r31 skyline (red top rb20det). I have run cars with no bpv for many years with no problems whatsoever. One of the reasons bpv's were introduced to cars was to help reduce. Not trying to start an argument just pointed some facts out.
    Last edited by rgpmps3; 01-05-2013 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rgpmps3 View Post
    Old post I know but there are a number of factory cars that have no blow off valve at all from the factory and make the "flutter" sound in factory state once the air box has been removed and I hear no reports of these cars having turbos fail as a common problem. 2 of these cars are the Vl turbo (rb30et) and the imported model of the r31 skyline (red top rb20det). I have run cars with no bpv for many years with no problems whatsoever. One of the reasons bpv's were introduced to cars was to help reduce. Not trying to start an argument just pointed some facts out.
    There is a 25 years of difference there mate. Everything is controlled by the cpu nowadays and to actually do this so called mod would throw the cpu into disarray. Trust me I tried that doing this as soon as I got mine out of the showroom but the car felt so wrong and lasted for 5 minutes then I put it back the way it was. I know what you are trying to say though because I have an Nissan pulsar et in my carport and those came out with no bpv

Got rice bitch?!?

I relise the stock Ecu will not like a blocked off bpv. All I was trying to say is that the chances of damaging a turbo by doing it will be remote at best

I haven't read through the whole thread but there is another stock bpv mod that will essentially hold more boost if the bpv is leaking (mine and slixx was I tested both), but will cause slight fluttering. Underneath the stock bpv there is a small hole, you can block this hole to hold more boost.
    Stock BPV Leak? I may have a cost effective semi-solution... - Mazdaspeed Forums
    Last edited by dazza; 02-05-2013 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rgpmps3 View Post
    I relise the stock Ecu will not like a blocked off bpv. All I was trying to say is that the chances of damaging a turbo by doing it will be remote at best
    Even if your car becomes more rich or worse more lean?

Got rice bitch?!?

It will only create a rich condition from air that has already been metered going back through the maf sensor. So basically the Ecu thinks there is more air than there actually is, the motor isn't under load when/if this happens so no harm can be done for the millisecond rich condition it can bring on. An atmo venting bpv brings on this condition worse than none at all on a maf equipped car
    Last edited by rgpmps3; 02-05-2013 at 09:44 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12