User Tag List

Thread: MPS6 performance - Hesitation Issue

Fantm1 Guest

Default MPS6 performance - Hesitation Issue

I hope this thread is in the right section!
    Hi guys, I only found this forum by chance after being elsewhere for the last year and a bit, and this is my first post. The reason for my post is to try and get some help from other MPS6 owners in SA. My car has what I believe is a hesitation issue on fast gear changes, which is really annoying. I went to Paradise Mazda, met with the service Manager and we compared it to another one which does exactly the same. This does not mean it is right, it may just mean that the demo vehicle has a problem as well. And yes, mine has had the software updates and it has done this from the first time I gave it a decent nudge after the first 1,000k's.
    What I am hoping for, is for a couple of other people to meet with me to compare cars; ie, if you believe your car does not hesitate on the gear changes. My 6 and the dealers 6 are the only cars I've driven out of a few different Subarus, XR5 and MPS3's that does this, but it's a bit hard to get it fixed or looked at when the dealers demo MPS6 is exactly the same.
    I live north of Adelaide but I'll drive to meet some one.
    Thanks for any help.
    Roger.

Fantm1 good to see more SA people here

I believe Swallowtail has a similar problem his may have been the wastegate solenoid, link here

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...y-fixes-4.html

FYI I get a similiar hesitation usually in 3rd at WOT after changing from 2nd but it only seems to happen 1 out of every 5 times, so I haven't really worried too much, want to get my diff sorted first.
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Read this wide open throttle engine studder FIX - Mazda6 / Atenza

If that doesn't resolve the issue, check your spark plugs.

Fantm1 Guest

I've already spoken to Swallowtail. His problem was mostly rough response between 2,000 and 2,700 rpm. Although I have noticed some occasional minor fluctuation in response under light throttle, it is insignificant compared to Swallowtail's issue. As I said mine is mostly on the change points. Wind it out in first... whack it into second and get a slight hiccup/delay, right after the clutch is out and the throttle is down, making it difficult at times to change hard and fast and be smooth. The only other issue I had was at 5,000 plus rpm but that was rectified by changing to 98 octane. kmh001 has what I believe is a very similar problem. But what I have to do is find a car or cars that don't do this at all, then I have a good case for action. The other thing is maybe they all do it, and its just me who doesn't believe that it's acceptable. As I said in my first post, only 2 cars I have driven do this and they are the only 2 MPS6's that I have driven.

Also I have been reading all the posts I could find for the last year or so. Sometimes one person's use of the word hesitation means different to anothers'. I have no problem at WOT. The service manager from where I purchased the car said that the way mine behaves is normal. That's what I'm hoping to disprove. Then I can go in full bore with confidence to get it righted.
    Last edited by Fantm1; 07-05-2009 at 11:31 AM.

I have a 2nd to 3rd gear studder at WOT which is the only time I shift quickly.

Hmm, Interesting.
    Maybe you can meet up with another SA member that has a dash hawk to do some logs and compare with other MPS6 (or even 3) members that do NOT have the issue.

I know this is not really relevant but I once had a similar issue in my SSS pulsar which was resolved by cleaning the MAF (and actually replaced the 02 sensor)

Jmac I have changed the intake, plugs, O2 sensor, HPFP and a bunch of other things plus cleaned the MAF, checked the PCV and the alignment of the planets and nothing shows up on the Dashhawk as the cause of the hesitation. It's unbelievably frustrating.

I'm hopeful that Swallowtails information about the wastegate solenoid will lead to a resolution. Waiting on a call back from my service manager.

BTW I wonder if the MPS3 and CX7 use the same part number for the solenoid?

Fantm1 Guest

Heard anything yet, kmh001.

I've heard zip from the service manager I went to with the info, over a week ago now.

Nothing yet, hope he hasn't forgotten about me. Maybe Mazda have gagged them fearing a global revolt by frustrated owners?

Fantm1 Guest

This is sort of what I feel. The guy was all keen to help me at first, now it's gone very quiet.

I'm still hoping someone in SA would contact me so we can do a comparison. (I promise it won't hurt.)

EDIT:

Guess what, I spoke too soon. I just got a phone call from Mazda and they are happy to try the wastegate solenoid for me.
    I would still like to compare to another car first so that I feel comfortable that I'm not chasing the impossible.
    Last edited by Fantm1; 14-05-2009 at 01:58 PM.

Has anyone done a dashhawk run to identify the watsegate behaviour?

I can do one if anyone is interested, I dont believe that I have the issie
    Last edited by EQ; 18-05-2009 at 07:57 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    Maybe Mazda have gagged them fearing a global revolt by frustrated owners?
    ... mine is running very well now. It took them long enough to fix it, but it's nice to have it back and driving the way it's supposed to.

It's a shame, now that it's all sorted it's up for sale . I've had a 40000km service, put 4 new Yokohama tyres on it, had the stone chips and a dent in the door fixed, new floor mats, cleaned and detailed, it's never run so well or looked so good since new... and I'm selling it.

Ah well, such is life.
    2009 VW Passat R36 - 220KW of German engineering.
    EQ - "I must admit, having driven Simons Passat, I was simply....impressed, very impressed. My flat cap and whippet, old man jokes are definalty put back in the kit bag."

So what was the exact fix Swallowtail?

Blog Entries

See http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/gener...html#post27314 further up the page...

Wastegate solenoid was faulty apparently.

Fantm1 Guest

The service manager at Paradise manager spoke to the service guys in Brisbane and they believe the problem is different but said they are still willing to try the waste gate solenoid for me.
    There must be another SA mps6 guy on this forum who I could compare cars with. It won't take long and it won't hurt.........promise!