User Tag List

Thread: Exhaust mods how and why ?

Question Exhaust mods how and why ?

hey guys,

I am sure this has been asked a billion times was a little bit lazy sifting through all the threads to find out what i wanted . Why is it you pay almost $1000 for a down pipe from Cobb _--------.> COBB TUNING STAINLESS STEEL 3" DOWNPIPE W/CAT MAZDASPEED 3 TURBO 571202 | eBay but the same kinda thing with a bell mouth and 02 sensors from the states for like $230 shipped ? and my other question is you can get a test pipe built into the down pipe which i believe cuts out the catalytic converter ? is that illegal in Australia ?

I guess why i ask is i just want a cheap way to modify my exhaust and it being legal and not to sound like a WRX rice burner. I have read somewhere in here that you can delete a couple of things and simply replace the down pipe and off you go ? . I found this one on E-bay without the built in test pipe or cadalytic removed and i am pretty keen ? Downpipe Exhaust Mazdaspeed 3 Turbo MS3 Mazda Speed 06 | eBay
    I just want to know what other option there is on the cheap side to finish it off ? like i said i have read something in here but can find it lol Do i get the one that has the cadalytic converter chopped ? or the one above ?
    07 08 09 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3 Turbo 3" Down Pipe Downpipe | eBay
    Any help guys much appreciated...... cheers

I am not to concerned if the cheaper ones have like 10 less horsepower due to design or whatever just a cheap way to gain a bit more horsepower and to justify that extra $700 bucks will need to be good lol. Also i cant spend $1000 on the part, due to my marriage then being over lol..........
    Last edited by Aussie Mps3; 17-12-2012 at 08:38 PM.

2. Default

What's your aim? Down pipe will net you some power however if you're after some better sound you can do a cat back exhaust which could cost 800 to 1000, or you could do a resonator delete for 100 or less. There is a thread on the resonator delete, check it out

Thanks Allo,

so it would be safe to say that if i chose the 2nd option which is purely the downpipe and use Mazdas already cat system in following pipe i will gain some horses ? and if i then delete the resenator i get a bit of sound but nothing to drastic yeah ? thats pretty much my aim yes lol

I was just looking this up all over the internet too about an hour ago. I saw that people do a resonator delete. check the sound out on youtube. sounds really nice, yet not too loud doesn't sound anything like those huge mufflers people put on their rides. I think im going with that option as it is cheap. although im still trying to research if its ok to do since im not sure if there are any issues with it.

5. Default

I think that sums it up, down pipe for ponies. The thing you should take note is whether the down pipe they sell us just the down pipe or actually the down pipe and mid pipe all in one (like the Cobb). I know that ultimate racing (http://www.ultimate-racing.com/) sell just the down pipe with the option of having it catted as well.

I went the catted race/mid pipe from cork sport due to ease of install compared to the down pipe. I also got the resonator delete and was very happy with the increase in sound quality (only slightly louder). There was a slight improvement in sound quality from the race pipe, but nothing like the res delete.
    Last edited by allo80; 18-12-2012 at 05:12 AM.

I hear ya Leisk but purely deleteing the resonator just gives a little sound to add and doesnt change HP at all. I was hoping to just simply replace my Downpipe and just the resonator and leave it at that. I have done all the air intake work SRI and so on and will do the internals to my fuel pump just wanted to find out the RIGHT down pipe to get without spending a billion $ lol. As my above post shows 3 different kinds of Downpipes i was hoping the second one would do the job and be legal . The first one has a Cat built in but if i dont remove the mazda standard Cat and us that instead if there really is a big difference ?

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by leisk View Post
    I was just looking this up all over the internet too about an hour ago. I saw that people do a resonator delete. check the sound out on youtube. sounds really nice, yet not too loud doesn't sound anything like those huge mufflers people put on their rides. I think im going with that option as it is cheap. although im still trying to research if its ok to do since im not sure if there are any issues with it.
    ive had no issues, they just take the resonator out and put stainless tubing in its place. No CELs as its downstream of the O2 sensors.

OK the one i was looking at is simply a Down pipe no CAT which would connect to existing setup and keep the Mazda CAT system. The third one on my list is with the racing pipe but no CAT so i gather thats illegal. The only one which has the CAT and legal as far as removing the Mazda Cat would be the COBB.

OK not to confuse anything but i could install the ones with the Race Pipe i would just have to squeeze in a CAT there somewhere ? as i would be removing the Mazda standard cat where the new race pipe attached to the Down pipe is going ? I think i just worked it out lol.......Cheers

Ive seen some people remove 2 resonators, whats the difference with removing one of them and both (louder ?) sorry for the nooby question. .
    Quote Originally Posted by allo80 View Post
    I think that sums it up, down pipe for ponies. The thing you should take note is whether the down pipe they sell us just the down pipe or actually the down pipe and mid pipe all in one (like the Cobb). I know that underground racing sell just the down pipe with the option of having it catted as well.

I went the catted race/mid pipe from cork sport due to ease of install compared to the down pipe. I also got the resonator delete and was very happy with the increase in sound quality (only slightly louder). There was a slight improvement in sound quality from the race pipe, but nothing like the res delete.
    Aussie Mps3 - yeah no hp gain. best go with your option

10. Default Exhaust mods how and why ?

Mid pipe gave more bottom end, but the down pipe I believe has more gains to be had

COPY THAT ALLO, Down pipe and resonator to be done and just down pipe without the race pipe i couldnt be bothered sorting out the mid pipe and sounds like not a lot of difference anyway !!! thanks for your help mate....... Cheers

OK now i am Really confused attached is a diagram lol from exhaust sticky !!! can anyone clarify this for me ? ........ just wanna know if i can put in downpipe system with test pipe or racing pipe without the Cat ? Pcture says a thousand words lol....Cheers Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MS3Exhaust.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	13340
    Last edited by Aussie Mps3; 17-12-2012 at 11:08 PM.

Pretty simple: You have to have a cat for the law.

Now, iirc, the 3mps has 2 cats from factory, with 2 o2 sensors to determine if the first cat is in and working.

After market down pipe's tend not to have a cat at all, after market mid pipes generally give you the option.

Replacing your downpipe is generally about increased HP / Torque through greater flow with less restrictions. In effect, your engine breathes easier. With this in mind, replacing both your downpipe and midpipe with a hi-Flow Cat is the advisable path in terms of performance gains.

If however you only have $5 to spend, I suggest you goto hotcarstuff and buy some calliper stickers.

OK thanks mate both units I am looking at have both O2 sensors obviously on the down pipe but a couple have the mid pipe built in without a cat so not sure what I am gonna do yet thanks for the advice

Thanks guys I read all that wrong I understand now lol i'll see how i go for cash and yes some cheap stickers might solve the issue lol basically its called MY WIFE !! NO MORE MONEY Grrrrrr

17. Default

yep, had the same issues (with wife)...

Default Exhaust mods how and why ?

Mine was with my husband lol.

Sent from somewhere in this big wide world....

well i bought one under the radar lets see how long i last till somebody finds out lol i am a dead man thats all i know