User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dan's Garage - Dan's Garage - VW Golf R - White - Opticoat

Default Dan's Garage - Dan's Garage - VW Golf R - White - Opticoat

A (relatively) short write up on this one. I didn't take a lot of before or during photos owing to the heat on Saturday and just wanting to focus on the task at hand. Think I went through about 5lt of water while working in the garage. Would have been easily 40+ degrees under the metal halides

18 month old Golf R in for correction and Opti-Coat. Didn't present too badly, though a reasonable amount of oxidation, probably stemming all the way back to delivery

Chem decontamination picking up quite a lot of ferrous particulates, mainly on the sides of the car:

APC clean of the wheels (post metal decontamination)

Foam wash:

Post-clay inspection. Light/moderate swirling, plus some nasty damage cause by snowboard racks, which was corrected out:

Bonnet post-correction:

50/50 exhausts

Outdoor pics (like I said, a quick write-up)

Ingenious Domo-kun 'anti-theft' device guarding the car. Try to steal the car and it starts killing kittens:

Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Default Re: Dan's Garage - Dan's Garage - VW Golf R - White - Opticoat

Good work as always Dan

Very nice

Nice Dan!!i notice the owner is an EXE Member!

Yeah mate. I have another, nearly identical white Golf R booked in in two weeks time. A mate of his. They booked together.

I also have another referral from him booked in for end of May. This one is a black Mk6 GTI. VW guys are a close-knit bunch

Its a good looking car. Dan your camera skills are only bettered by your detailing

Sent from my Huge Samsung Note 2

Thanks Brad

White is very hard to capture in the sun without washing out the colour. A new UV filter I bought has helped a little but I still have to flick the camera to full manual and play with the aperture and exposure settings. For every one outside photo above there were at least another half dozen that were given the flick because they didn't come out exactly right

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Great job Dan. I have driven a few golfs. Very well put together. Smooth and refined. MPS looks heaps better though imo.

Thanks Mick.

In terms of looks, I think the Scirocco R is the king.

I love the Golf R, and I definitely love my MPS, but those rear haunches on the Scirocco do it for me every time

+1 On the scirocco. Nice looking car. Need a 4 door for the kids.

Pfft...kids

Awesome job as always Dan!

Nice car, great result! I bet you were pleased when it rolled up and you realised there were very little issues. Made a nice change for you mate & perfectly timed judging by the heat you had to deal with!

Thanks Bobby. The hard VW paint meant I still needed to do a three stage correction on it:

- HD Uno on Orange CCS (2-3 passes per panel)

- Optimum Polish II on White CCS (only single pass required to clear up micro-marring from the first stage)

- 3M UltraFina on White CCS (single pass again to jewel)

I technically could have finished with the Optimum Polish II and the White pad as it looked quite good, but after completing a test section with UltraFina, the VW paint responded beautifully to it, so I went over the whole car with it.

For the mirrors and other black highlights:

Optimum Polish II on Orange CCS to get rid of the deep swirling. Then UltraFina on White CCS, followed by UltraFina on Black CCS to jewel (the gloss black paint on these VWs is softer than the panel paint).

On correction only (the above process), I spent approx 8hrs

Add in the washing and decontamination prior, and the IPA wipedown, Opti-Coat application, and clean up of other areas (glass polishing, exhaust tips, wheels, trim etc), and the total amount was around 15hrs over two days. At least half of which was done in 40+ degree conditions

I'd hate to be doing this for a living somewhere further north!

Ok, so was quite an extensive detail. What paint depth did you get or usually get on a VW? Kim was a little gun-shy with the roof on my car cause the reading was between 85-90 over most of this panel which meant he wasn't able to attack this as hard as the other panels, meaning there were still some light scratches & etching left. Not complaining because his work is miles in front of anyone else that's touched my car but just wondering how much further we could have went with this...

oohh and for your sake Bring on Winter !
    2XS RACING $ CORKSPORT $ MAGNAFLOW $ ​UNSURE MOTORSPORTS $ COBB $ INJEN $ FULCRUM $ FEDERAL TYRES $ VISUAL GARAGE $ ADVANCED PERFORMANCE CENTRE $ B C M $ NGK $ STRATIFIED $ AUTOTECH $ DBA $ REMSA $ DGR $ MORIMOTO $ JBR $ FUSION

Paint depth on this one was great. Averages in the high 100s to up well over 200 microns. No concern with low paint levels on this one thankfully.

For the paint depths on your Mazda I'd have been similarly hesitant. Like the red RX8 I did last week. Once paint levels start going down to those depths it very much becomes a trade off between what you remove versus how much you leave behind to still provide some long term survivability of the paintwork.

I'd say Kim made the right call

Whoa Dan that looks brilliant.

I won't hijack the thread but I think I need to book in with you before its too late for my paint.

Got nailed by some blocks of hard cement falling off a truck this morning :-(

Quote Originally Posted by tims View Post
    Whoa Dan that looks brilliant.

I won't hijack the thread but I think I need to book in with you before its too late for my paint.

Got nailed by some blocks of hard cement falling off a truck this morning :-(
    Ouch!!!

Happy for you to swing by "The Garage" in Surrey Hills for an assessment if you like mate. Can have a look and also take some paint depth measurements etc to give you a realistic idea of what level of work could be done.

PM me if you're interested.

Excellent Dan will do, many thanks. Looking forward to checking out your ride while I'm there.

Mine might be a little dirty....the downside of detailing other people's cars on your weekend is you don't always get time to wash your own car

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast