User Tag List

Thread: Strange issue when turning left? (Full turn)

1. Default Strange issue when turning left? (Full turn)

Hey guys, new to the forum and a new proud owner of a 6mps which I had taken into my possession just 2 days ago.

I have come accross a strange issue when turning left it feels as tho the car doesn't want to move as I gently release the clutch (this only happens at very low speeds as I'm parking for an example). It feels like the car starts to shudder. However when I turn right with full lock it has no issues at all?

Any help would be much appreciated! I have been told a wheel alignment is required and I will be doing this in a few days.

CV maybe?? Does it make a noise when turning?

- - - Updated - - -

CV maybe?? Does it make a noise when turning?

3. Default

Hmm I was thinking it could be cv joint. No noise coming from it.. It just doesn't want to move

Hi DarkSoul - did you get to the bottom of this problem?

I have a mechanically stock MPS6 which had been completely trouble free up until this morning when the rear diff starting binding trying to reverse at low speed with full steering lock (feels like the brakes are on then it clunks and unloads - just like a 2way!). I park in the same place everyday but this is the first time it's happened....

This thread talks about a similar problem but no one reports back a solution:
    Rear diff locks while turning after SURE diff mount and brace install - Mazdaspeed Forums

Does anyone here have any experience with this issue?

5. Default

I am taking my car to tunehouse on Wednesday and I will report back when it's fixed.

It's not CV joints but transmission wind-up. The stresses are huge so try to not to force it. Use the clutch gently. Reverse your direction and ease off the steering lock to unlock the plates. You will find that it will be more prone to doing it when reversing upslope on a hard-surface on full lock too. Also cold and/or an extended periods of standing is worse than hot, when oil has circulated a bit after a period of standing. Try to avoid full-lock reversing up slope on sealed surfaces. Loose surfaces are no problem as the tyres are free to slip and relieve the stresses. It will get less prone to doing it as the car does a few more kms. Bear in mind also that full lock should not be held for more than 5 seconds, to ease stress on the power-steering pump.
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 21-01-2013 at 12:40 PM.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

7. Default

Well just to report back, Tunehouse recommend changing oils in gearbox/diff/transfer case. I went for a drive but couldnt get it to shutter

I have been basically avoiding the shutter now as i used to ride the clutch (1500-2000rpm) while turning now i just use clutch and barely any revs and it doesnt do it nowhere near as often. So change in driving style is a great way to avoid the problem but would love to get to the bottom of it.

I will be taking it back to tunehouse at a later date to change oils when schedule allows.