User Tag List

Thread: New Turbo / tune assistance

Default New Turbo / tune assistance

Hello and help!

Unfortunately my turbo seals have died on me. These are my current mods (Gen 1, MPS3):

- CP-e DP
    - Turbosmart BOV

I like to keep it pretty simple, however I have nfi what to do now. I'm looking at the BNR stage 1 for peace of mind .. but for an extra $200 stage 3 just seems silly not to buy?
    Do I need a tune after fitting a new turbo, S1 or S3?
    Will either new turbo require a HPFP? (I don't have any diagnostic tool)
    Is it worth buying a Cobb AP for someone in my position (I'd load a map once and never touch it again)?
    Does anyone want my old turbo? If so, PM me an offer!

I've pretty much read every thread on the issue; now I'm royally confused. Thanks

/edit; sorted - feel free to delete the thread Mr. Moderators!
    Last edited by Seba; 08-12-2012 at 10:08 AM.
    BNR S1 - Cobb SRI (boxed) - CS TIP - CP-e DP - Turbosmart BOV - JBR Mounts
    '06 3 MPS.

I'm not 100% sure but with the BNR stage 1 you probably don't need the tune running the factory computer, but with BNR stage 3 definitely you need a tune. Now the fuel pump- that depends on the boost level that you set during a custom dyno tune of you car. If you run around 15 psi you probably don't need the high flow fuel pump. I would say that depending on the dyno machine, your car should be safe to around 190-200 kw atw. But every dyno is different and if you run a lot of boost in the midrange rpm there may be a chance of lean mixtures. I have Cobb AP in my car and if you run different turbo like BNR stage 1 with off the shelf maps it will not run correctly but you can custom tune it. Another thing that you need to consider is the amount of km your car had traveled. When you have done more than lets say 80000km you factory fuel pump may not be 100%, also you engine has got wear and tear and even if you get every thing right including custom dyno tune your con rods may fail or bearing on the crank shaft. Be conservative and safe and your engine should last long time.

I ran my BNRs2 on standard tune, i done a log and all seemed normal BUT Tune is advised.

AP and BNRS3 is a nice combo.. As most AP tuners have tuned a BNRs3 on a mazdaspeeds/ mps's before they know about them, so can have you sorted quickly. PM to one of AP Etuners here for advice...