User Tag List

Thread: Wong wong noise

Default Wong wong noise

Hi all,

I am experiencing a wong wong noise when driving straight/cruising along. It seems like the noise is most obvious in 4th gear (~60kph).

Is this a gearbox oil issue or something else?

Thanks.

Most likely, yes. Have a read of the following http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/drive...il-thread.html

I would double check what you may think it is. The wong noise is generally most audible when going slow (less than 20kph) and making tight turns, such as when doing a U-turn. I doubt you would be making tight turns at 60kph... Its the 'LSD' making the noise so it shouldnt really be engaged when going straight, particularly when just cruising.

In any case, changing the gearbox oil isn't very difficult and is a cheap item to see if it solves the problem. The wong noise isn't really detrimental to the gearbox, however I suspect you may have other issues as the scenrio you're getting the noise doesn't point to the typical 'wong' noise

Also check your tire pressure is even, I remember this can cause 'wong wong' or a whine noise. I run 38psi, 36-40 should be ok depending on tires

Had the same noise from my 06 mps. Sounded to me like a diff whine on soft deceleration on highways with cruise control on (most noticeable). Followed advice from The definitive gearbox oil thread using the penrite fully synthetic oil and noise now gone, plus much smoother shifting.

MPS3, Gen 2 @ 67500kms, wong wong noise. Replaced gearbox oil with AMSOIL 75W-90, noise increased. Replaced oil within 1 week to Castrol VMX80W (this one replaces the old VMX80); noise gone