User Tag List

Thread: Need help! - cpe cai

Default Need help! - cpe cai

Hi All,

Im thinking of getting this CPE Cold Air INtake for my MPS,

CPE Cold Air Intake | MPS Garage

Just got some quick and silly questions:
    Does the car need to be tuned if I put this on?
    Can anytihing go wrong with having this on?
    Any chance this could make my car go slower? I've noticed when simply un-clipping my airbox for a laugh (not for long ofcourse) it sounds soo much better except I notice the car is significantly slower!

Any help appreciated

Hey Matt, no you dont "need" a tune and no it will not go slower =P will give you a nice BPV sound and induction sound! easy install happy to help if you need it! just have to drive to spring farm

only thing is to make sure the bolt that connect the sri to the turbo inlet pipe is not facing the ECU cable or you will have issues.

Need Tuned 'no' but to get the the most out of it tune will be best.
    What are you goals for the car? If you are going BT than this will help. If your leaving the K04 than this is not needed. The gen2 Airbox already has a cold air feed you wont have a issue with airbox suckign hot air from the engine bay

If you want the sound than do it... Just watch water laying on the road it can be sucked up, dont drive into a flooded waterway hehehe

I really want it because I love the sucking noise and I would like the BPV noise without a BPV as I dont want anything super loud and even with the standard box unclipped it sounds perfect..bit worried about sucking water though because I drive about 90ks a day (Which might not be alot for some)

Anyone know if just a KnN Panel filter will make induction and BPV noise much louder?

Quote Originally Posted by MATMPS View Post
    I really want it because I love the sucking noise and I would like the BPV noise without a BPV as I dont want anything super loud and even with the standard box unclipped it sounds perfect..bit worried about sucking water though because I drive about 90ks a day (Which might not be alot for some)
    I drive 20KM per day (to and from work) so that's alot to me

+1 for CAI noises, it was the best sound on my wrx (big TD06)
    Last edited by DAN MPS 3; 29-11-2012 at 03:39 PM.

8. Default Need help! - cpe cai

@MATMPS I was just told by tunehouse that no, k&n panel filter that fits inside stock airbox will be super quiet.

Anyone know if just a KnN Panel filter will make induction and BPV noise much louder?
    Airbox Mod
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

I'd look around before i paid that much for that. Have you checked edgeautosport?
    CPE Cold Air Intake MS3 Gen2 just ask how much shipping would be

Thanks all for your help
    That CAI above ^^ is a great price!

I installed this one last night, minus the breather. MZR 2.3 DISI XcelXL

Good quality! Great for the noise, and mine came with a bracket so that it mounts solid to the car. No defect waiting to happen!

Quote Originally Posted by zacman View Post
    I installed this one last night, minus the breather. MZR 2.3 DISI XcelXL

Good quality! Great for the noise, and mine came with a bracket so that it mounts solid to the car. No defect waiting to happen!
    If you haven't (or aren't) able to calibrate your MAF sensor tables to compensate for the larger diameter MAF housing there could be a boom waiting to happen with the XL intake on a stock tune.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPS3 View Post
    If you haven't (or aren't) able to calibrate your MAF sensor tables to compensate for the larger diameter MAF housing there could be a boom waiting to happen with the XL intake on a stock tune.
    Looks like I linked the wrong one. CP-e don't look they list the one I have on my car. Probs because it's an older version.

Just got some quick and silly questions:
    Does the car need to be tuned if I put this on?
    Can anytihing go wrong with having this on?
    Any chance this could make my car go slower? I've noticed when simply un-clipping my airbox for a laugh (not for long ofcourse) it sounds soo much better except I notice the car is significantly slower!
    My 2c if this helps.

-Nope you don't need a tune (I've been running that and mods (see my sig) without a tune. In saying that, a tune enables you to get your full potential and monies worth out of the modification(s)
    -Yep sure, if you splash into a puddle with some force/pace its possible you can ingest some water which won't be good. You "may" get a CEL after installation although I didn't and its not a major issue
    -Not much chance it'll make it go slower unless there is another problem with another mod or a failed sensor or something. You might find though its a touch more sluggish off the line or at really low revs. I found the response was better with the stock box, however, when you start bringing the revs up about 3,500RPM on a WOT run, you're going to want maximum airflow and low resistance which means the CAI shines through were it counts
    -No I doubt you'll get any noise at all with a panel filter even with a modified box. Maybe an induction noise, but probably not that swirl suction noise that comes from the pod filter (either SRI or CAI)

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers