User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quieter Tyres for 2011 MPS

Question Quieter Tyres for 2011 MPS

Hi all, looks like I might be in the market for some new tyres for my 2011 MPS, the roads were a bit wet this morning and I noticed my traction control light came on a few times (in 18 months previous I've only seen it come on once when I went over a bump!).

Anyhows, I've currently got the stock Dunlop 2050's on there, and I've always thought they were a bit noisy on course bitumen, so I'm wondering what people would recommend as a quieter tyre replacement for the stock tyres. I would prefer to keep at least the same amount of grip as on the stock tyres, and my budget would ideally be up to $250 per tyre (ie around $1k fitted for 4 tyres), though I can go over a little bit if required.

Any suggestions?

I have had a read of the tyre review thread, however the noisy-ness of the tyres doesn't always seem to be mentioned, and that's a higher priority for me at the moment.

2. Default

In short, you won't get the same level of grip from a $250 tyre as you do from a $400+ tyre (original Potenzas are expensive). The stocks are rather sticky and lose tread rather fast compared to other harder compounds, this is where the game gets interesting.

With a sub $300 tyre you won't be getting the most sporty tyre on the market, but if you're driving as a daily, you can get pretty good tyres for around the $270 mark. Give places like TyrePower, Bob-Jane, Jax Quik Fit and other tyres shops around a call and get some pricing. I happened to luck out when I needed new treads and Pirelli's were on sale. If you're buying all 4, often you can get a deal done.

I've had Falkens (cheap) in the past and they were great for daily driving with the odd spirited run. They weren't too noisy and gripped around a 7/10 in all conditions.
    Toyo T1R's (mid-range) were looking the goods, but the sizing was not on their chart (yet I got a set). Great in the wet in a straight line. Awesome water channeling properties. Cornering, not as good as the Potenzas originally on the car. A little noisier too. They went all lumpy and out of round within 15k of them being fitted. 8/10 wet straight, 6/10 wet cornering, 7/10 dry. Overall, a 7/10, probably best if abused more and heat getting into the tyre, just cost heaps more.
    I now have Pirelli's which are the best tyres I've had on the car so far. They're not ultra sporty, but sporty enough to provide a great even driving experience. 8.5/10 in all conditions. They were about the price of Falkens when fitted thanks to the sale mentioned before.

Shop around, your budget can get good tyres, not great tyres. Gen 2 sizing makes things a little cheaper too.

Yeah pretty much just use the car as a daily driver, with the occasional "spirited" run... so don't really need the most sporty tyres out there, wasn't sure how the stock Dunlop 2050's compared to other tyres out there, but figured there should be something quieter but with a similar grip level?

It's a shame that the Australian stores don't list their prices online, will have to get a ring around and see what tyres places have within my budget, and then find out what the consensus is about them.

Having another read through of the Tyre review thread, and the following tyres all seemed to be mentioned as either low noise, or lower than the OEM tyres:

Good Year Eagle F1
    Pirelli Nero
    Hankook Ventus V12 Evo
    Sumitomos HTZIII
    Michelin Pilot Sport 3
    Kumho kU39

Default Re: Quieter Tyres for 2011 MPS

Pilot super sports... Be about 1300 fitted...

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Pilot super sports... Be about 1300 fitted...
    I saw a few people give high praise for those... though they don't seem to be available in Australia in 225/40 R18 size?

Michelin

They're on TireRack for $864 + post though.

Default Re: Quieter Tyres for 2011 MPS

PS3 are awesome. I highly rate.

Sent from my SGS3 4G

Pirelli Pzeros Nero are quiet! But lack the cornering grip compared to Dunlops, Pirelli traction off the line is GREAT!

And only just over $200 fitted

another +1 for PS3
    @Reedy came for a ride-along when he was down in Melb a couple of weeks ago and made specific mention of how quiet they were compared to his Yokos

Don't have the grip of the Yokos though

Holy Geebus... just rang up the local Bob Jane to find the prices for those:

Michelin Pilot Sport 3 - $485
    Pirelli PZero Nero - $354

Good grief.

Ozzy Tyres have the Pirelli's for $211 and free postage - has anyone used them before?

Sounds like someone's having a lend of you there lol

I paid $250 each for my PS3s (235/40 R18). Plus an extra $50 total for fitting + balancing all four

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post

I paid $250 each for my PS3s (235/40 R18). Plus an extra $50 total for fitting + balancing all four
    Where from Dan?
    '05 6 MPS | BNR S3 | JBR 3.5" Intake | Corksport Airbox | CP-E 3.25" TMIC | M2 DP | CP-E CBE | CP-E/TT Diff Mounts | Autotech HPFP Internals | JBR REM, PMM, TMM | SURE Shortcut | SURE Countershift | SURE Anchors | Denso ITV22s | JBR TIGs | EGR Delete | Coolant Bypass | PTP Inj Seals | MD OCC | H&R Springs | Bilstein B8 Shocks | Car-LED Tails | Badgeless Grille | 6000k HIDs | OZ Ultraleggera 18x8 +48

Real close to you mate:

Tyreplus in Surrey Hills - 411 Canterbury Rd

03 9078 1222

Ask for Sandy

Looks like there are a couple of other dealers of Michelin Tyres up here - will give them a call and see what price they have for them.

Quote Originally Posted by aeon View Post
    I saw a few people give high praise for those... though they don't seem to be available in Australia in 225/40 R18 size?

Michelin

They're on TireRack for $864 + post though.
    I had PSS's and they were great. Smooth, great grip wet or dry, quiet. Shame I had to replace them 10,000km early as one developed a bulge in the inner sidewall.

I bought via Tirerack but got quotes of $475ea (225/45R18) from two seperate dealers in Australia.

Real close to you mate:

Tyreplus in Surrey Hills - 411 Canterbury Rd

03 9078 1222

Ask for Sandy
    WOW i would ahve if i knew that!
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

I got my pirelli Pzero Nero for $185ea + $58x4 postage + $60x4 fitting ( would have got them to post them to me for that @Caffeine Fiend
    Last edited by RedDjinn; 05-12-2012 at 02:18 PM.

Can vouch for Pirelli Pzero much quieters than MPS as on the Mini but probably quiter if they weren't run flats. Good grip all round too. Price is based on size too you're probably after 225/45/18 OEM Which won't help. I run Achillies and sticky things they are Stickier than KU36 and quiter too.

Quote Originally Posted by KFuNk View Post
    Can vouch for Pirelli Pzero much quieters than MPS as on the Mini but probably quiter if they weren't run flats. Good grip all round too. Price is based on size too you're probably after 225/45/18 OEM Which won't help. I run Achillies and sticky things they are Stickier than KU36 and quiter too.
    Achillies Hmm.. Saw them but looked past them 'interesting'
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Quote Originally Posted by RedDjinn View Post
    Achillies Hmm.. Saw them but looked past them 'interesting'
    I said the same and for the price I will give the 123S a go. Rated 220 but feel more like 160!!! Ran well at the track.
    2XS+ChipTorque=DeathStar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast