User Tag List

Thread: 2012 Australian Manufacturers Championship

1. Default 2012 Australian Manufacturers Championship

Osborne Motorsport, Mazda and NTE have taken out the class win in the 2012 Auatralian Manufacturers Championship and to back it up, we also took out 2nd place.

At Sandown on the weekend with 2 cars and 2 races we won the class twice and also took a 2nd and a 3rd place.

We were running 2 Mazda 3 MPS's driven by Adam Dodd and Colin Osborne.

As Mazda MPS owners, I thought you would like to know.

Neil Trama
    Neil Trama Engineering

Nice one Neil. How "standard" are these cars? What changes did you make that made the most positive difference?

10th overall after 3 rounds...brilliant..very proud MPS owner here & thanks for taking the time to post Neil. TOP JOB!

Default 2012 Australian Manufacturers Championship

Great job, thanks!

Default Re: 2012 Australian Manufacturers Championship

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    Nice one Neil. How "standard" are these cars? What changes did you make that made the most positive difference?
    Power wise, they have a full exhaust + tune... Rest is stock

The rest is all handling/suspension mods (or weight reduction)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Default Re: 2012 Australian Manufacturers Championship

Ta matey.

Sent from my Huge Samsung Note 2

7. Default

Production cars are generally only allowed safety and very limited reliability modifications. Because of this they are a very true representation of the performance and reliability available on the showroom floor. That is why cars like the MPS perform well in the Australian Manufacturer's Championship. In the last 10 years, 4 cylinder cars have absolutely dominated. V8s are seriously under represented.

This is diametrically opposed to categories such as V8 Supercars and, say Sports Sedans where the race machines have no semblance of what is sold to the public.

Having said all that, we are allowed "blueprinting" where the engine builder (that's me) optimises all engine dimensions to produce a special engine that still conforms with the manufacturer's specifications but produces significantly more performance. For example our boost level must not exceed standard figures but our racing MPSs produce 198kW at the wheels. The engine dyno tuner (also me) is allowed to modify tuning paramenters, but not exceed the boost limit.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by neil trama View Post
    Production cars are generally only allowed safety and very limited reliability modifications. Because of this they are a very true representation of the performance and reliability available on the showroom floor. That is why cars like the MPS perform well in the Australian Manufacturer's Championship. In the last 10 years, 4 cylinder cars have absolutely dominated. V8s are seriously under represented.

This is diametrically opposed to categories such as V8 Supercars and, say Sports Sedans where the race machines have no semblance of what is sold to the public.

Having said all that, we are allowed "blueprinting" where the engine builder (that's me) optimises all engine dimensions to produce a special engine that still conforms with the manufacturer's specifications but produces significantly more performance. For example our boost level must not exceed standard figures but our racing MPSs produce 198kW at the wheels. The engine dyno tuner (also me) is allowed to modify tuning paramenters, but not exceed the boost limit.

Neil
    Can you tell us about the brake setup you run? And if you have 4pot calipers up front, who fitted them, and does it fit under the stock wheels? I saw the Mazda factory MPS that Simon Evans ran in Targa has a 4pot AP racing kit and stock wheels fitted and I wanted to know who put that kit together, also whether or not they need wheel spacers. Trying to find a 4pot brake setup that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and fits under the stock wheels has been driving me mad lately!