User Tag List

Thread: Perth - Suspension Install

Default Perth - Suspension Install

Howdy all, hoping to call on the collective knowledge to help me out a bit.

just wondering those with lowered MPS's which workshops you have used to do this? In the old days I would have done it myself with a mate, but the front strut replacement puts me off (quick read shows hammering the spring seat plate into place), and due to working full time it would be easier for me to just drop it off somewhere. I have a tentative quote from WA suspensions, just wondering if their are any other workshops that would be reasonably priced?

Would be looking at getting the new springs, struts and adjustable front upper-inner camber bushes installed.

Thanks to anyone who can offer info / experiences.
    1993 KL-ZE 626 - Written off
    2005 MPS6 - Me Boosta, GTX2867 Freektuned

Default Re: Perth - Suspension Install

I highly recommend Wilkinson's suspension. Speak to Brett and you will be looked after appropriately as he's done quite a few of our particular vehicles in the past - I'm hoping a few people can attest to that.

As an example, my King springs and alignment cost me $500 all up which I thought was fairly priced in comparison to other workshops.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Chuckie Cheese; 26-11-2012 at 04:54 PM.

Before you completely rule out doing it yourself, if you have a spring compressor the front springs and shocks (they're not struts) are not very difficult at all, you shouldnt need to hammer anything provided you're using a direct replacement damper such as Bilstein (Konis require cutting and modifying the old dampers). But if you're changing bushes that's best done by someone with a press.

I seriously gave it consideration, but the B8 front shocks have a silver metal plate that the spring sets in, does this need to be set in place? Or does it just sit in place without needing to be locked in?

If it doesn't need to be set in place I should do (minus the bushes of course). I have done a few suspension swaps (struts not shocks though) over the years with a mate of mine, if it just sits there we should be able to knock it off in a day no wukkas
    1993 KL-ZE 626 - Written off
    2005 MPS6 - Me Boosta, GTX2867 Freektuned

The lower spring platform should just slide down over the shock and sit on the collar. At least that's how it was when I did mine. Then compress the spring and bolt the top on. Swap the bottom fork mount over and it's ready to go back on the car.

Because it's not a strut it's very easy to remove and replace as a unit from the car. Three bolts at the top and one at the bottom. The only other part of the car that needs to be removed is the front wheels. You don't have to touch the control arms. The part that might give you trouble is loosening the top nut. Sometimes it helps to loosen it a little before you raise the front wheels. Barring any complications it should be a relatively simple job. I think I did mine on my own in under 2 hours.

Of course be very careful using the spring compressor. There is enough stored energy there to kill you if you make a mistake.
    Last edited by kmh001; 26-11-2012 at 11:45 PM.

Gone to Volvo

Cheers Mal, much appreciated. I normally crack the top nut before i start anything, they are incredibly annoying things.
    Seems my worry about the moving metal plate and the 2mm contact point between that and the shock is not an issue, i have been told it doesnt really carry much load...

My mate has a dent in his forehead from a spring (i wasnt present at the time), but we always take care with em for obvious reasons...

Fingers crossed all goes to plan and i can finally have an AWD, not a 4wd...

Good luck and hopefully no hassles. Banishing the SUV look is good, but you're gonna love the way it handles with some camber up front.

8. Default

I just got quoted $650 for king springs and alignment from Wilkinsons. How long was yours ago Chuckie?

Default Re: Perth - Suspension Install

April last year mate. Put it to them that they've done a few 6's for around 500-550 and they might do it around that price.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Ive been using Wa Suspension in Ozzie Park - prices seem fair and no dramas yet
    Just had my coilovers adjusted and car raised.
    I didnt have time to do it myself