User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How safe is running a Cobb app on generic ots maps?

Default How safe is running a Cobb app on generic ots maps?

Hey guys, I'm looking at buying a Cobb ap, however I'm little skeptical on how safe it will be for my engine. I'm not interested in e - tunes or getting it professionally tuned. All I'm interested in is removing the torque restrictions and at most adding a full intake into a Cobb air box. And possibly at some stage upgrade the fuel pump, dp and an ic and go to stage 2 ots map.

How safe are the ots maps, I'm not after all out power only want abit more spoolnnoise and the torque restrictions gone, but don't want to jeopardise my engine in anyway

Cheers Mitch

Default Re: How safe is running a Cobb app on generic ots maps?

Weren't you getting a hypertech? Using the AP OTS tunes are generally pretty safe. They are still made for the masses and they aren't made to squeeze every last bit out of the car like an etune. If you aren't looking to do much customizing etc your probably better off with the Hypertech or wait till your finished mods and get a dyno tune. AP is wasted just using OTS tunes.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by ledfootrob; 26-11-2012 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ledfootrob View Post
    Weren't you getting a hypertech? Using the AP OTS tunes are generally pretty safe. They are still made for the masses and they aren't made to squeeze every last bit out of the car like an etune. If you aren't looking to do much customizing etc your probably better off with the Hypertech or wait till your finished mods and get a dyno tune. AP is wasted just using OTS tunes.

^ What he said

Hypertech is plenty bang for buck fun!
    BLACK3MPS
    CORKSPORT|TMIC // SURE|AEROS // SURE|SIDEWINDER // SURE|RETURN // SURE|SHORTCUT // SURE|ANCHORS // SURE|COUNTERSHIFT // SURE|TORQ R3 // WHITELINE|RSB // MOOG|ENDLINKS // COBB|ACCESSPORT // CP-E|DOWNPIPE // AUTOTECH|INTERNALS

I haven't been talking about a hypertech, I know nothing about them. A don't trust someone tuning my car and potentiality ****ing it up, that just me. I'm even skeptical on the ap. All I'm wanting to know is if I just do little bolt-ons, will an ap be safe, or has it been hit and miss. Otherwise I'd rather leave the engine stock and not risk it going boom. I'm reasonably happy with the power but it just sometimes feels abut underwhelming for a 190kw car. Were as the gen1's feel so aggressive and sound awesome on boost

Sorry got u mixed up with another member and yes you should be safe.

Not so safe now after Brads run at QR kept getting fuel/cut at 5k. Gave him the shits so went home @Yeldarb he was running Stage 2 OTS map and Eddie @3MPSPWR running the same says its not great not running smooth like a tune should.

Safest............................................ ............................... Do- DP, HPFP, (sri+ box or cai) and leave it in Jims Hands at TuneHouse to ECUTEK it! 200kw atw

Quote Originally Posted by KFuNk View Post
    Not so safe now after Brads run at QR kept getting fuel/cut at 5k. Gave him the shits so went home @Yeldarb he was running Stage 2 OTS map and Eddie @3MPSPWR running the same says its not great not running smooth like a tune should.
    Sounds interesting, I would love to see some logs. I have the AP and can't fault it, its a fantastic tuning tool, my tune is basically a stage 2 tune with my own maf cal and once that was dialled in a few other tweaks.its a fantastic tune.
    GENII 2009 MPS LUX

Parting Out

I still think the AP is the best thing I've done to the car.

Today I was having trouble but not convinced its the AP.

I changed tunes 3 times over the day. The last one I used was the Basic 98 OTS Stage 1. That tune is still a lot if fun.

While on my way home the engine would cut on WOT.

Ive got logs that caught those issues.
    @jnt I'll have happily forward them to you for analysis
    Sent from my Huge Samsung Note 2
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

be curious to see what they say

Hi. Cobb AP is very good. If your car is standard, that is the first and best mod for it. All other things like cai, dump pipes, fuel pumps will give you more power but will also put more stress on the car. The current map stage 1 98 octane v231 will give you good power gain, but when the steering wheel will be turned in 1st and 2nd gear you will still have less power but that's ok because it will be more than before the tune.

Mmmmm I dunno, seems like very mixed opinions on the ap

When you start modifying your car and you put much better parts than original factory you will be doing that because the car will be "pushed" and that's what kills it. You can have the best car with the best aftermarket parts be on unlimited budget and the car will still break down because they thrashed around the race track. The only question is "when is it doing to blow up?" If you don't have money to fix it when it breaks down - don't modify it. Just load the tune from AP and you will be happy

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    I still think the AP is the best thing I've done to the car.

Today I was having trouble but not convinced its the AP.

I changed tunes 3 times over the day. The last one I used was the Basic 98 OTS Stage 1. That tune is still a lot if fun.

While on my way home the engine would cut on WOT.

Ive got logs that caught those issues.
    @jnt I'll have happily forward them to you for analysis
    Try the safe map?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Quote Originally Posted by mymps11 View Post
    How so? There is some misinformation going around. Head to the ecu tuning section and read the stickies.

MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Quote Originally Posted by mymps11 View Post
    Listen. If you're so worried don't do it.

But on this forum and in the US the AP is proven tool. Dont concern yourself with my issues.

Also YOU control how far you go.

Nil mods and OTS Stage 1 98 map and its already $600 well spent.

I think perhaps you would prefer the confidence of dealing with a qualified tuner. More piece of mind I suppose but I would think its a bit of a waste as these guys want to release restrictions and therefore modify your car to get best gains.

Good luck.

Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

I'm currently running the stage 1 98 tune and it has not skipped a beat since, the power increase is great ( feels like a whole new car ) I only have a maf sensor pipe which I got for the spool noise as standard these cars are very quiet IMO.

I want to do it I'm just concerned about my engine, but your post is what I needed to hear, I feel a lot more confident in the product now, I refuse to use a tuner. I only want the torque restrictions removed and louder spool noise really and I'll be almost happy. And I guess I'd rather trust Cobb that's put hundreds of hours rnd into there product then a tuner that will flog the crap out of the car for a few hours and not even guarantee a good tune that won't destroy the engine. I do realise there are risks always involved in modifying, however if the Cobb ap is working then that's the way I'll go

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    Listen. If you're so worried don't do it.

But on this forum and in the US the AP is proven tool. Dont concern yourself with my issues.

Also YOU control how far you go.

Nil mods and OTS Stage 1 98 map and its already $600 well spent.

I think perhaps you would prefer the confidence of dealing with a qualified tuner. More piece of mind I suppose but I would think its a bit of a waste as these guys want to release restrictions and therefore modify your car to get best gains.

Good luck.

Just the odd bad thing here and there on here, but it's prob a case of user error more than anything, turbo engines arnt very forgiving, everything needs to be spot on to work together.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    How so? There is some misinformation going around. Head to the ecu tuning section and read the stickies.

Read the COBB FAQ and be at ease with your decision.

I have been sussing one out and all the issues I have seen can be fixed by a re-flash or by using the correct map.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast