User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dan's Garage - Porsche Carrera RS (Rebuild) - Yellow

Default Dan's Garage - Porsche Carrera RS (Rebuild) - Yellow

This one is the weekend runabout of an existing customer. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to working on it.

It's a mid-80s Porsche that's been completely and meticulously re-built from the ground up to be a replica of a 73 Carrera RS. Right down to the single stage paint.

The car is photogenic enough, and, with the right attention has the potential to be a real show car. So the owner wanted it to have a good going over and some sealant-based paint protection applied

The car as presented. Looks ok, but there was a lot of oxidation present, so the car felt very rough to touch

Original highlights. Most of this car was re-built with genuine original (and refurbished) Porsche gear of the same era. This is no cheap backyard rebuild.

Exhaust causing some heat damage to the bumper. Fortunately it is only minor and was able to be corrected out

Fuchs wheels, another genuine item, riding on some fat 16" rubber. 255 at the rear, which would have been massive in 1973.

IronX finding a heap of metal particulate contaminants to dissolve off the paintwork. As I said, this paint was rough.

A cleansing foam bath

Along with some special attention to the badgework and other nooks around the car

License plates off to get underneath them

Then two bucket wash

Rinse, dry and into the garage.

The Surface Prep towel got the rest of the oxidation and the paint was starting to feel nice and buttery-smooth again. Under the lights though there was a lot of swirling over the car to correct out

Good paint levels across the car though

So I got to work correcting the single stage paint

Post-correction

Once corrected, the first layer of sealant was applied and she was tucked in for the night

Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

The next day was applying the second layer of sealant and the finishing touches, including polishing the wheels. These took roughly and hour each.

Before, oxidation on the non-clear coated metal

50/50 machine polishing with Autosol, followed by Optimum Metal Polish

Finished product. Sealed with FK1000P High Temp wax

Metal polishing paraphenalia

Final outdoor pics

Time Taken = 18hrs over two days.
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

The "master" at work again! There is nothing I can write to explain how you bring a great car to life!

Top job as per usual!

I bet it's a real kick for you detailing gems such as these.

Thanks Guys. The photos don't really do the car justice

James you're not wrong. Some other gems I have planned in the next couple of months are a 650hp R35 GTR (Opti-Coat), an R34 GTR, and an Aston Martin V8 Vantage. I love what I do

Default Re: Dan's Garage - Porsche Carrera RS (Rebuild) - Yellow

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    Thanks Guys. The photos don't really do the car justice

James you're not wrong. Some other gems I have planned in the next couple of months are a 650hp R35 GTR (Opti-Coat), an R34 GTR, and an Aston Martin V8 Vantage. I love what I do
    You've REALLY got to start negotiate going for a spin in these cars as part of your payment!

Sent from Samsung Mobile

Hahah I know!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

You mean you don't? Air drying is the most environmental way! More speed!

god damn that's a beautiful car...
    awesome job as per usual... looking forward to seeing the R34

I bet the guy almost drew a tear when he saw his baby in such amazing condition. Well done mate. I think you should book in for some physio. Bet your sore after some if these back breakers.

Sent from my Huge Samsung Note 2

He was very pleased mate. Couldn't believe how smooth it was compared to when he dropped it off. Said it looked like it just came out of the spray booth lol

Pulled up farily hard on Sat evening. The hours and also the heat of the day took its toll a little. 34 deg outside, closer to 40 deg in the garage under the lights. Reckon I chugged about 5 liters of water while working!

Worth it though for the end result

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    He was very pleased mate. Couldn't believe how smooth it was compared to when he dropped it off. Said it looked like it just came out of the spray booth lol

Pulled up farily hard on Sat evening. The hours and also the heat of the day took its toll a little. 34 deg outside, closer to 40 deg in the garage under the lights. Reckon I chugged about 5 liters of water while working!

Worth it though for the end result
    Mate, Claude and I were thinking about you drinking a cold one about 12:30

Immense effort and you can see the difference. He was so pleased and happy he just talks and talks about it

Thanks again mate. You treat these cars as if they are you own and it comes out in your work and the smiles on your customers faces

Claude knew it would come up the way it did, solely on the amount of passion you have when you speak and explain your services, and the respect and admiration you have for the canvass you work on. Mammoth respect goes out to you from us and I'll owe u a couple of cold ones soon

Thank you again

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

Beers at winton!!!

Pete, I'm at a loss for words mate. Thank you both so much for that. Seeing Claude examine the car and the way he picked up little details and the improvements here and there just made my day

It's a real pleasure to work for people who love their cars.

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Beers at winton!!!
    Now there's a plan!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Top work Dan!

another top effort.. looking forward to some of those upcoming cars

Outdone yourself there mate. Immaculate work Dan.

Top quality as always Dan

What can I say Dan? Everyone else has said it. Bloody marvellous!

Man i love these write ups and keep wishing I can detail at this level one day..as usual, keep up the great work and keep these threads coming!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast