User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mazda 6 MPS Differential problems and/or solutions

Mazda Called today they have confirmed what you have stated "My Beast being towed due to diff mounting bolts" Here is the twist, Mazda Paradise S.A. want to wait 2 weeks to ship the 2 bolts from Japan. The service guy said they have to be Mazda bolts. I quickly advised him about the fact that other dealers know of this problem and the resolution they came to. He said he would call me back... Well he did not call me back and he said he wants his crappy 121 back on wednesday. I think I may have a bit of S£%T to dish out if he calls back tomorrow without news of the car being fixed. Come on non mazda bolts may void warranty. This guy is spoon fed by his Mum still I think.

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:33 PM ----------

Thanks for all of your help here, it makes a really good support group. I have to say I have always found great advise for the MPS6 here. Keep up the good work, Cheers
    MPS6 19"Rims, King Springs, BOV, Cork 3"

I would be insisting on keeping the loaner until its fixed, not your problem the bolts are not in stock. I think you should be entitled to a loan car as its covered by warranty.

Default Mazda 6 MPS Differential problems and/or solutions

Hi all,

Seeing as we're having some reports of diff mounting bolts, I thought it would be a good idea to start a new thread for reports on the matter and what solutions have been administered.

My latest is after having the forward mounting bolts replaced I experienced some drive train knock yesterday and today, so had a look under and found I could tighten by hand the new bolts Mazda installed, so after 10 painful minutes with a socket that wouldn't fit correctly due to the heat shield I managed to tighten them, though minus the torque wrench as I lent this to my mate. Have advised Mazda I'll be bringing her in for them to fix, hopefully they came loose due to some sloppy tightening last time and there are no other issues!
    Cheers
    Chris
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Make sure they Loctite 272 them Chris. It's kind of scary they backed out so quickly.

Well I am at Mazda having the bolts checked and the workshop guys have put loctite on them so hopefully they don't come loose again. However this is against the service managers advice, as he quoted "it's not Mazda spec and we'll have a hell of time getting them out if they snap again!" Apparently he thinks they are working loose due to diff wind-up from having tyre sizes which are smaller in diameter than standard! I still don't believe it. Though if diff wind-up is the cause, something else is causing this, maybe the electomagnetic clutch for the rwd has a problem? Anyway I should have it back in a minute, so we shall see what transpires...

Got home and having had some spirited driving all seems to be ok

I'll check the torque again in a couple of weeks and see...

Quote Originally Posted by DARKLORD View Post
    Mazda Called today they have confirmed what you have stated "My Beast being towed due to diff mounting bolts" Here is the twist, Mazda Paradise S.A. want to wait 2 weeks to ship the 2 bolts from Japan. The service guy said they have to be Mazda bolts. I quickly advised him about the fact that other dealers know of this problem and the resolution they came to. He said he would call me back... Well he did not call me back and he said he wants his crappy 121 back on wednesday. I think I may have a bit of S£%T to dish out if he calls back tomorrow without news of the car being fixed. Come on non mazda bolts may void warranty. This guy is spoon fed by his Mum still I think.

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:33 PM ----------

Thanks for all of your help here, it makes a really good support group. I have to say I have always found great advise for the MPS6 here. Keep up the good work, Cheers
    Hey Darklord, wondered how you got on with your diff bolts?

FYI It's been 3 weeks since Mazda applied Loctite and torqued mine and no problems to date The diff feels solid and the bolts haven't moved so I'm thinking that it's now all fixed.

*** Update ***

I've had some seriously bad vibrations in the last few days under light acceleration in 4wd mode only, so after checking under the car (again) found that the diff moved 2-3mm left to right, couldn't see the rear mounting bracket but figured this had come loose, as the front mounting bracket was secure.

Had the beast serviced today (50,000km) and the techs found that the rear diff bracket had cracked! They are waiting on confirmation from Mazda as to what they should be doing, so will hopefully know the outcome tomorrow, they advised to keep driving but gently, thank goodness for the 2wd switch! Am now considering the CPe bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by DARKLORD View Post

Yea im not going to PARADISE MAZDA. I rang a guy there and said ive got a 6 MPS and have a few problems.
    He said " oh thats odd we never get those things back with warranty issues, what do you think the problem is?"
    I metioned the cruising vibration\ shudder and noises.
    He says "oh yea we have had a few with that, but its normal, there is no problem with it, they do it from factory"

So i say " Um ok, i thought you never see the MPS back? and i dont think so, ive driven a few MPS's and not all of them do it, pretty sure a shudder, clunk, vibrations and whine are not 'standard' with a $55,000 car"

He just told me to bring it in and they will look at it and determine wether its a warranty issue. I told him ill be going else where.

So... Went to JARRET Nissan\Mazda about 2 streets away from my house () they were VERY nice, booked the car in friday as he said they need to look at it as it sounds bad.

See how i go....

Sorry for the long post

Current: 2002 Nissan S15 200SX SPEC R
    Previously: 2006 Mazda 6 MPS ,MY00 WRX CLUB SPEC EVO IV Hatch ,97' Nissan S14A 200sx, Nissan R34 GT-T, Nissan S12 Silvia

Update on my diff mounts.

At 50,000kms I felt some bad diff vibrations under acceleration which Mazda identified as a broken rear mount on the diff, they were waiting Mazda to advise before proceeding with warranty replacement.

Spoke to the service manager who advised they can replace it under warranty and this was completed yesterday.

Upon driving home (after finding a clear road with no traffic) I proceeded to test the new mount and found it still gave some minor vibrations under hard acceleration, though similar it was nothing like the vibrations when the mount was broken.

So back into Mazda this morning, they raised it on the hoist to check and everything was intact however the new mounts rubber bushes flexed more than the old mount (there was another MPS6 there we could compare it too) After some discussion it appears the new mounts have been upgraded over the original's to offer more flex? The service manager was not sure why but thought it may have something to do with the amount of reports Mazda are receiving on broken mounts??

Anyway the service dept are still convinced larger than stock tryes are causing diff windup on my car which may be the cause of my broken mounts etc. So given that I've decided to paint my stock rims black, I'm going back to stock tryes to see if there is anything to this theory, as at the moment I'm still reluctant to drive it "extremely spiritedly" until I am sure nothing else is going to break!

Apologies for the long windedness

Shakes back in January when Mazda had my car for 6 weeks one of the things they did was install a prototype rear diff mount in an attempt to resolve the vibration. They refused to tell me how it was different to the original, but it didn't feel any different to me. It was probably the softer one you have.

They seem to be in a catch 22 between wanting to go softer to resolve all the vibration issues, and wanting to go harder to resolve the broken mounts.

I recently wrote to customer service and told Mazda about the two cars in Germany that had the vibration resolved by changing the gearbox. I'm betting they wrote to Mazda in Germany for confirmation because a couple of weeks later they agreed to replace my gearbox, clutch and flywheel.

My clutch isn't damaged, but the vibration did first arise suspiciously close to when they did the clutch TSB so maybe they suspect it's a contributing factor.

Waiting on the parts to come from Japan, but I am so looking forward to not having to drive a vibrator any more.

Gone to Volvo

kmh, is your car still cover under warranty? Will the CP-E or SU diff mount help to rectify this issue? I think I am the lucky one not having this diff mount issue but start worrying. Currently have 60000km on the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMPS View Post
    kmh, is your car still cover under warranty? Will the CP-E or SU diff mount help to rectify this issue? I think I am the lucky one not having this diff mount issue but start worrying. Currently have 60000km on the clock.
    BCMPS, I've ordered a CP-E diff mount and waiting for this to arrive, so once it's fitted I'll provide some feedback. As to the improved diff mount from Mazda, it's actually worse than my original before it broke! Out of interest what tyre sizes are you running with?

Thanks shakespeare, I am running 225/45/18, you can see that on my signature.

I really don't think tyre size is a problem. as long as they are the same at 4 corners.

I finally notice the diff whine today, it only happens at 70km/h and engage handbrake slightly will eliminate the noise. But I have to pay so much attention to it in order to hear becoz road noise and radio can easily cover it. My question is, will that be any harm to leave it?

If you don't get it looked at, you will drop a rear diff like I have recently.

Just driving normally and then bang.... massive shudder from the rear.

Do yourself a favor and check if there rear diff is leaking oil from the drivers side drive shaft. If so, then it's only a matter of time till you cop it.

To prolong the life of the diff, disconnect the sensor to the rear diff(there is a plug that you should be able to get to - this will keep the car in "FWD" mode, not really FWD, but won't push excessive power to the rear.

If the car is under warranty, take it back asap.

I'll be honest, I gave mine 1 too many 5k launches and that's why i think mine broke. Also, I only replaced 2 tyres on my car, when i should have done all 4. Those 2 things and a combo of my rear diff bolts always coming loose caused it to stuff up.

Anyways, don't drive around with your handbrake up 2 clicks- it will only wear ur rear pads!
    CorkSport FMIC with Cold Air Induction, , Cork Sport Cat Back, CPE Standback with PNP, TurboSmart BOV, Custom Highflow Cat with CorkSports Downpipe,Pauter Rods, CP Pistons,ARP Head Studs, BIGGER TURBO COMING, Pre-ordered a Stage 3 CPE Engine.

What broke lazydog?

Try getting Mazda to replace your diff under warranty.. goodluck

Update!

After the numerous problems with my diff, which I'll list below and some of my findings I've gone back to my stock rims (in black) with stock Potenza's 215/45/18 and it now feels like it did when I bought it I'm now thoroughly confused but hoping it stays this way.

1) Since new have had some resonant vibration when cruising at 100-110 kph, which Mazda could not fault and when they drove it advised this was normal!

2) Changed to 225/40/18 on 7.5" wide rims +45 offset around 35,000kms (all 4 corners)

3) Sheared forward diff mount bolts at 42,000kms, Mazda replaced bolts and service manager advised of Diff windup due to non-standard wheel/tyre diameters.

4) New bolts worked loose at 43,000kms, service guys re-torqued and loctited.

5) Changed to 225/45/18 on same rims at 47,000kms

6) Snapped rear bracket of diff at 49,000kms, Mazda ordered and replaced with a new improved bracket, again diff wind up due to incorrect tyres was mentioned

7) Horrible vibrations under any kind of acceleration, checked diff and found movement of +2mm (left to right). After perservering with this and more visits to Mazda who confirmed the bracket is fine and nothing is broken, I thought it's time to go back to stock to see what if? Incidentally diff whine seems to have gone!

8) Changed back to stock wheels and tyres (at all 4 corners) at 50,600kms after persevering with the vibrations for the last month, thank goodness for the MPS3 switch!

9) Haven't had much opportunity to test fully, however initial findings over the last 100kms today.

a) no diff whine
    b) no more vibrations under any kind of acceleration, including Wide open throttle (WOT)
    c) Only a short test but no resonant vibration (yet)

So I am now starting to wonder if the Mazda service manager was not telling porkies when he was concerned that non-standard wheel/tyre sizes are causing diff wind up?

Apologies for the long windedness, but I feel that there is more to this dilemma than meets the eye! However for the moment I am thoroughly loving my car again as I can accelerate without my teeth falling out!
    Cheers
    Chris
    Last edited by shakespeare; 26-09-2009 at 12:01 AM.

I think you are probably right. I heard many years ago that AWD cars are acutely sensitive to wheel and tyre set ups. So far I only have the "standard" diff whine but have noticed a slight volume increase. Could be that my rear tyres are nearing the end of their lives and have altered the resonance characteristic because of the depth of the tread OR a worn tyre effectively reducing the aspect ratio from 45 to 44 or 43.

Just a thought.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast