User Tag List

Thread: MPS 6 Noisy Steering column?

Default MPS 6 Noisy Steering column?

did a quick search and couldn't find anything helpful, but lately my car's been making a noise when i turn the steering wheel, even just a tiny bit while driving as well as when the car is on and stationary, anyone have any idea what it could be? i thought originally that maybe the tires were scrubbing against the plastic guarding or something, but the clearance seems fine, i also thought maybe the CV joints, but they wouldn't make a noise turning the wheel when it's stationary, right? the noise sounds a bit like something is grinding against something... anyone had this problem before?

Could it be your power steering pump?

i had power steering pump issues in my last car that ended up being refurbished and it sounded nothing like the mps does at the moment, but i'll check the fluid levels in it tomorrow though just in case, thanks

Apparently the mps ones tend to be noisy, but maybe change the power steering fluids?

yeah, if the fluids are running low, i'll top it up and see how it goes, or if it seems normal i'll flush it out completely and hope that helps i'll take a look when i finish work

finally got around to looking at my power steering fluid, lol, should have done it ages ago... kept forgetting to check for some reason... but it's way too low, hopefully that's the cause of my issue... so, my question is, do i need to use Mazda specific oil to top it up with? or will any generic power steering fluid do?