User Tag List

Thread: Looking to buy a 3 or a 6 MPS

1. Default Looking to buy a 3 or a 6 MPS

I hope this is the right section but when my current car sells I'm looking to buy an MPS.

At the moment it will be either the current gen 3MPS or the 6MPS.

I love the look of the 6 more than the 3 but the 3 on paper just looks to present as a better drivers car than the 6.

The big issue being that I'm looking at another 5-7k for a 3MPS over the 6.

Maybe you guys can enlighten me a little? Has anyone driven both? How do they compare?

Thanks in advance!

Current mods:
    CorkSport SRI, TIP & Airbox
    Cobb Access Port

look for all the other threads asking same thing

3. Default Re: Looking to buy a 3 or a 6 MPS

I did a few searches and some browsing before posting but didn't find anything.

I saw plenty threads dedicated to the pros and cons of the 3/6 on their own but none as a comparison.

Perhaps if you're aware of other threads the same you could point me in the right direction?

Depends how you define "better drivers car". As a driving enthusiast I would argue that a RWD platform makes the best drivers car because the dynamic qualities more closely match the particular skills that give a driving enthusiast the most enjoyment. However a lot of younger guys have only ever driven FWD so that's their benchmark. Personally I find FWD cars boring because the dynamic and physical limitations of the platform prevent me from enjoying it. On the other hand there are people who thoroughly enjoy working with those limitations. Your question has become a subjective one with no correct answer.

Having stated my views on FWD I'm obviously going to suggest that the 6MPS is a better "drivers car", but not for the reason you might think. It's not because the AWD configuration adds another dimension to the driving challenge. It's because the 6MPS has double wishbone front suspension. This is significant for two reasons; 1. double wishbone front suspension is a superior way to control front wheel geometry compared to the MacPherson struts used on the 3MPS, which translates into a better driving experience and 2. the fact that Mazda engineers chose to use double wishbones instead of opting for the lower manufacturing cost of struts, says something about their approach to the entire car (with one major exception which I'll explain below).

I've driven all three versions of the MPS and found the 3MPS to be a fine car. In stock form, compared to the 3's the 6MPS doesn't feel exceptional on the road. That's because Mazda chose for some reason not to make the front suspension adjustable and most 6MPS's on stock suspension seem to have zero or even some positive camber which is disasterous for things like handling and tyre wear. However this can be corrected and when it is, the 6MPS is transformed into an exceptional drivers car.

Gone to Volvo

6. Default Re: Looking to buy a 3 or a 6 MPS

I think I'm leaning more towards the 6 at the moment the only thing that worries me is the the common issues with smoking turbos, diff mounts and engine mounts.

You could buy my 6MPS and have none of those worries. Baiased not

8. Default Re: Looking to buy a 3 or a 6 MPS

This is true. There's a 3 MPS in my town I'm gonna go test this weekend.

There aren't any 6's in dealerships in NSW so I'll have to wait till my car sells, I won't waste the time of a private seller unless I've got the cash.

9. Default

Basic decision at the moment is "Do I want a discontinued model or a current model".

I say this because there will be expertise in repairing/servicing 3MPS models more than the 6MPS. Both are great fun and drive differently to each other.

I would lean towards something that's slightly newer with more models on the road.

Engine and gearbox mounts aren't issues to worry about. They are simply wear and tear items. If they haven't been replaced recently, you replace them. As you should with any model of car.

Also, like any car, when buying one simply do your research and find one that has been well looked after and maintained. You will then have a much smaller chance of encountering problems.

Quote Originally Posted by son of eevil View Post
    I think I'm leaning more towards the 6 at the moment the only thing that worries me is the the common issues with smoking turbos, diff mounts and engine mounts.
    Strikes me as a strange viewpoint. Buying a 6 is not synonymous with smoking turbos or diff and engine mount issues. So far, at 67,000km, I've had none of them. Some of those issues, or others, might be usefully viewed as an alert that you might be buying a car that has been flogged and mercilessly launched, or not allowed to cool properly after being flogged.

One might as well say that buying a Holden leaves you open to all the problems associated with a shit car!
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

12. Default Re: Looking to buy a 3 or a 6 MPS

Having gone though the problems thread they were among the most common problems in there its been mentioned a lot that the seals in the earlier turbos had issues.