User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MPS - why so few?

Default MPS - why so few?

Hi,

As a proud MPS (3) owner, I'm perplexed why there are so few about - you never see any in a Mazda dealership, and so few on the road. Is the RRP too high, or are they poorly promoted? I've only ever seen two or three MPS in the flesh (and I'm on the road a lot for work), but I would see multiple Focus STs, Golf GTI/R32 and Impreza STi hatches on the road daily.

I was looking for a "hot" hatch for months, and the MPS fitted the bill for things like price, reliability, performance and practicality over the aforementioned cars. Yes, I'm now biased as I own one, however ... why so few?

JB

Marketing I guess. Never really see ads for them and as you said, not having them at the dealerships noone really knows they exist.

Doesn't help the motoring 'journos' can't stop kissing the arses of the GTI, Megane RS250/265 and the Focus ST to name a few.

Other than that, just lack of awareness as previously said.

But thats the good thing about them. Not every tom di*k and harry have one....
    Thats one of the reasons i didnt get a Golf.
    I think its good that we dont see to many of them.

Because everyone thinks its normal mazda 3 n I hate it

Best part of owning an mps is that they are not that common. Cops leave you alone, people's jaw drops when you give it a boot full. It was always mazdas plan to keep them a sort of secret hence no huge marketing campaigns.

Default Re: MPS - why so few?

Quote Originally Posted by GEN1MPS View Post
    Because everyone thinks its normal mazda 3 n I hate it
    "My ____ has one of these"
    "No they don't..."
    "Yes they do..."
    (Give it a bootful)
    "What the hell is that???"
    "Does your ____'s do that?"
    "Er, no... maybe they're different"
    "Told you so"
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    "My ____ has one of these"
    "No they don't..."
    "Yes they do..."
    (Give it a bootful)
    "What the hell is that???"
    "Does your ____'s do that?"
    "Er, no... maybe they're different"
    "Told you so"
    Lol worst part when ppl ask you if it's a mazda 2 or mazda 3.
    Member Of a Wallbangers Club

It's funny how Australias best selling car translates into its worst selling hot hatch. Mazda want to keep the MPS as a separate line to the regular versions to keep the premium branding, but that brand is not all that strong when nobody knows what it is.

I would hazard to guess that the SP25 cannibalizes MPS sales rather a lot as well.

IIRC the announcers at the drags were always calling it a "Turbo changed SP23" (GEN I days obviously)

On a similar note... a man who came to my house to buy some MX-6 parts told me that he refused to update his MX-6 to a Mazda 6 because "Mazda will never build the REAL Mazda 6!"

He was stunned to discover he was standing next to what he referred to as the "real Mazda 6" that he was convinced mazda never built... I had to pop the bonnet to prove it to him there was Turboey goodness in there

Now that is some good marketing on Mazda's part... People who were keen for the MPS 6 before it was released don't even know it ever existed in the flesh...

At another time, a man in a tire shop tried to sell me some wheels to suit a Mazda MPV... I said "No, I want 18's"... him "They won't fit on your people mover"... Me "What ****ing people mover????"

No wonder it sold so well!

Chris.
    '05 MPS 6, Liquid Silver Metallic, Leather, Sunroof.

DashHawk, TurboSmart Dualport, COBB SF SRI and TIP, CPe REM, 2XS Titanium SSP, Coolant bypass,
    Exedy OEM spec clutch, Corksport SS Braided Clutch Line, ROH Mantis 18*7.5+45.

Growing old is compulsory... Growing up is optional...

Quote Originally Posted by Scaredycrow View Post
    IIRC the announcers at the drags were always calling it a "Turbo changed SP23" (GEN I days obviously)
    Seen that written in magazines too

Marketing can be the only reason.
    Mitsubishi wins the 12hr with no serious competition, Mitsubishi mention they win at every opportunity and release a run of special models.
    Subaru win some rally's against no serious competition, they use that also as much as they can
    Mazda wins its class at targa tassie by a mile and beats much better cars in higher classes including Mitsubishis and Subarus. And what does mazda do?

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    Seen that written in magazines too

Marketing can be the only reason.
    Mitsubishi wins the 12hr with no serious competition, Mitsubishi mention they win at every opportunity and release a run of special models.
    Subaru win some rally's against no serious competition, they use that also as much as they can
    Mazda wins its class at targa tassie by a mile and beats much better cars in higher classes including Mitsubishis and Subarus. And what does mazda do?
    They put up a story on their mazda website...surely thats enough!?! lol

I reckon there is a couple of reasons.

First is that Mazda has a reputation of creating value for money cars and not always high quality or high performance. People's perceptions are changing, but it's slow. A good example of this, I own a 2011 CX-9 Grand Touring. This have everything. It's posh, looks good, feature packed and drives like a dream. Yet as soon as I say Mazda people are like no way. Mazda don't make those sort of cars. So when people think performance hatch I guess they think Subaru or GTI.

The other reason I believe is the FWD. a lot of people believe that to have a performance hatch you need to have a RWD or AWD. That said, it doesn't help that a lot of reviews talk about the torque steer and that not enough has been done.

Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    First is that Mazda has a reputation of creating value for money cars and not always high quality or high performance ... The other reason I believe is the FWD. a lot of people believe that to have a performance hatch you need to have a RWD or AWD. That said, it doesn't help that a lot of reviews talk about the torque steer and that not enough has been done.
    Most of the people that I know (mostly Holden lovers) consider Mazda's to be overpriced Fords, with massively overpriced parts...

And FWD is a killer "feature" for many... any car that did not power the back wheels did not even get considered for my shortlist when I was shopping...

Chris.
    '05 MPS 6, Liquid Silver Metallic, Leather, Sunroof.

DashHawk, TurboSmart Dualport, COBB SF SRI and TIP, CPe REM, 2XS Titanium SSP, Coolant bypass,
    Exedy OEM spec clutch, Corksport SS Braided Clutch Line, ROH Mantis 18*7.5+45.

Growing old is compulsory... Growing up is optional...

I hate to say it, but the current styling is little to be desired imo. Look at the interior of a GTI vs MPS... the exterior is a bit .... yea...

the next generation looks promising though.

I think nearly all hot hatches are FWD. The MPS is still very new in the market compared to other manufacturers who have had their performance lines for a while. Besides the MPS, the only 'performance' car I can recall that they mass produced goes all the way back to the RX7
    Last edited by lup15; 19-11-2012 at 06:18 PM.

I'm my opinion it's down to marketing. When I was shopping, the MPS almost didn't make the list. I was dead set looking at a WRX, GTI or Lancer Ralliart, then a friend said to check out the MPS and I fell in love

I think I slightly didn't get my point across properly. There are many performance hatch's that are front wheel drive. Renault Megane, Volks GTI, Astra SRI, Ford Focus RS.. I was more trying to say that a lot of reviews dis Mazda's MPS FWD system. They say there torque limiters and other functions don't compare to say the GTI or Megane. For me i dont mind to much because if I buy a performance hatch I want to feel like im driving it.. Im happy for it to "bite" to make me feel alive and have the MPS be a little unpredictable.

I certainly agree about the marketing. There certainly isn't a very big push for MPS from Mazda.

All that said, I have always wondered why they never put the AWD system out of the 6 in the MPS>>>

What the magazines seem to forget is that there is something you need to create torque steer.
    TORQUE!
    Only the Focus RS betters the torque of the MPS. It has a trick front end (essentially the same as the Megane) but cost far more.
    The Megane has close to the torque, but again, costs much more.
    The VW GTi doesn't come close, so its lack or torque steer is obvious.

The new Focus ST is about the closest, i've driven one, its again down on torque, but under full throttle (where it does have close to the same torque) it torque steers aquite a bit, but its less violent than the MPS. Again though, the magazines complain about that car too

I also believe it comes down to marketing, there is no TV ad for the MPS so nobody really knows that they exist. As for the torque steer....I do not know what they are on about, the MPS makes a lot more torque than it's competitors and it holds it in check very good imo. I also agree on the AWD that should have been introduced into the 3 MPS...that would have made for one hell of ride!!!

For me climbing out of a 28psi Evo 9 on Ethanol the torque steer is nothing....you should feel the Evo once you start punching it through the corners...it bites back hard!!
    Cheers

Grumpy

Tuned with
    By Alex...........

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast