User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: MPS - why so few?

1. Default

I'm glad they are so rare. I havn't seen a 2012 Upgrade on the road in my area yet except the one my Mrs drives

Default MPS - why so few?

I'm going to post my opinion about the lack of MPS's around at the risk of being unpopular.... There's a very good reason that they're not seen around as much as other hot hatches ( Renault sold more Megane 250s in 2011 than Mazda sold MPS3s ) and that is because they are not as good as the competition.

Before I continue, my MPS is a great car, it's cheap to run and its fun to drive and was relatively cheap to buy.

However compared to the Golf GTI, Golf R, Scirocco R, Megane 250 & 265, WRX etc, it is an inferior performance car.

The torque limiters in the lower gears make it feel terrible (mine has them gone thanks to HT and feels 5000x more fun), the steering angle boost limiting is a stupid idea.

The car doesn't turn, it understeers wildly and can't put power down on corner exit; single piston calipers up front are not awesome, the gearbox had the notchiest, worst most imprecise shift quality of any FWD manual I've ever driven.

It has horrible turbo lag compared to the Euros and the TMIC is a stupid idea.

Basically it's a cheapo Jap shopping cart full of whopping big engine.

Compared to say, the Megane which is basically a factory prepped track day car and the sophisticated class of the GTI and R make the MPS look like under engineered rubbish.

Now, criticism over, it's a ball of unrefined fun. All of its shortcomings make it a laugh to drive, I had a MkV GTI DSG with Bilsteins and a tune before this car, it was like driving a video game.

Foot down, tap paddle, corner approaches, tap downshift paddle, brake, turn wheel, foot down, wash and repeat.

This car is wild in comparison, you have to actually drive it to be fast which is great and entertaining. It took a bit of getting used to at first and I was worried I made the wrong choice, but now, 11.5 months in, I like it more and more every day.

It's properly fast now that the torque flags are gone, it's an entertaining blast through the twisty stuff and its very unique, nobody knows what the thing is except the few informed car people.

And unexpected bonus, it is by far the cheapest hot hatch I have owned to service.

That's me done.., preparing to get flamed for my less than flattering initial commentary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2011 Mazda 3 MPS

^^^agreed! Nice review lol

No flaming from me.
    Your completely correct.
    The MPS is raw. To some (us) that's the appeal. To most (obviously) they prefer a bit more refinement.

As some know, my father traded his MPS 6 on a Golf R, so I have access to that (rarely ) it's smooth, quiet, well built. A really nice car to drive.
    But as quick as it is, it's so smooth and quiet you don't have any sensation of how quick it is.
    Pretty boring actually.

Recently I test drive a brand new Focus ST.
    Best way to describe it is its a happy medium between raw and refined. And that really appealed to me.
    For same or similar money the MPS has a bit of catching up to do

this just lends credibility to the theory that MPS owners (at least the 3's) are a little bit nuts

do we really want the MPS advertised to become well known so people with the same mindsets as thinking Evos and WRXs are the best things around to thrash and drag and bash to shit have something else to put a bad name against as "something a bit different from the Evos and rexies" and the people who knew about these and owned one before they were so well known, of whom i find are generally mature and responsible drivers who like to give it a boot every now and then, but keeping it safe and out of harms way, just fall in the same class as all the douchey people who drive evos, rexes, skylines and the like and making them police targets as a result? i like that hardly anyone knows what the "MPS" means on the bootlid of my car, i like that it looks like a regular family car with subtle hints of something more underneath instead of a 500 HP wannabe looking thing and i love the faces on the people who get to see it at it's best when i find one of those said douches and leave them for dust, lol the MPS' are a great car with an exclusive community of owners who haven't ruined the cars reputation and making them targets for cops, as much as i'd like to see more of them on the road, i like the exclusivity of owning something that looks so average, like a regular mums car, but is really something very special and ferocious underneath that only the real car enthusiasts with knowledge on all cars and not just the popular ones that go fast will know and understand

i'm not saying the MPS is the greatest car ever, though the 6 MPS in it's price range (~$20,000) must be pretty close, but the exclusive feeling of owning such an unknown and underestimated car and the "sleeper" status are what i like most about it as well as being a practical car for daily driving and general requirements like trips to the shops, lol

Great review @Speed3 . After all of my searching I formed the same opinions. I drove everything in the 2nd hand hot hatch market between 25 and 35k, the MPS was, in my opinion, the most raw and fun to drive.

Default Re: MPS - why so few?

Quote Originally Posted by Speed3 View Post
    Preparing to get flamed for my less than flattering initial commentary.

If there was a like button on Tapatalk I would use it. Nice right up.

Personally, its like Mazda aren't proud of their naughty little MPS. There is regular advertising of the CX-5, occasionally of the 3 up to the SP25 and rarely of the 2. But its been years since Ive seen an MPS advertised. Bizarre considering they've invested in a 2013 model update...

Sent from my Huge Samsung Note 2
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

Quote Originally Posted by Speed3 View Post
    I'm going to post my opinion about the lack of MPS's around at the risk of being unpopular.... There's a very good reason that they're not seen around as much as other hot hatches ( Renault sold more Megane 250s in 2011 than Mazda sold MPS3s ) and that is because they are not as good as the competition.

Before I continue, my MPS is a great car, it's cheap to run and its fun to drive and was relatively cheap to buy.

However compared to the Golf GTI, Golf R, Scirocco R, Megane 250 & 265, WRX etc, it is an inferior performance car.

The torque limiters in the lower gears make it feel terrible (mine has them gone thanks to HT and feels 5000x more fun), the steering angle boost limiting is a stupid idea.

The car doesn't turn, it understeers wildly and can't put power down on corner exit; single piston calipers up front are not awesome, the gearbox had the notchiest, worst most imprecise shift quality of any FWD manual I've ever driven.

It has horrible turbo lag compared to the Euros and the TMIC is a stupid idea.

Basically it's a cheapo Jap shopping cart full of whopping big engine.

Compared to say, the Megane which is basically a factory prepped track day car and the sophisticated class of the GTI and R make the MPS look like under engineered rubbish.

Now, criticism over, it's a ball of unrefined fun. All of its shortcomings make it a laugh to drive, I had a MkV GTI DSG with Bilsteins and a tune before this car, it was like driving a video game.

Foot down, tap paddle, corner approaches, tap downshift paddle, brake, turn wheel, foot down, wash and repeat.

This car is wild in comparison, you have to actually drive it to be fast which is great and entertaining. It took a bit of getting used to at first and I was worried I made the wrong choice, but now, 11.5 months in, I like it more and more every day.

It's properly fast now that the torque flags are gone, it's an entertaining blast through the twisty stuff and its very unique, nobody knows what the thing is except the few informed car people.

And unexpected bonus, it is by far the cheapest hot hatch I have owned to service.

That's me done.., preparing to get flamed for my less than flattering initial commentary.

Funny thing is you own a GenII and still feel its not refined etc etc etc....

....never get behind the wheel of a Gen I
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

10. Default MPS - why so few?

I love the mps but yeah probably should have looked more closely at the scirocco or the wrx. I did jump the gun after I cancelled the order on my 86.

I did want a raw driving experience so people suggested the mps to me on the 86 forums.

Hopefully all woes thus far will be sorted - I'm getting the car dyno tuned and fitted with a downpipe and high flow car day after tomorrow :-)

11. Default MPS - why so few?

*cat

As said before..I love the rarity of the MPS...I get people all the time driving by slowly looking at all aspects of the car before slowing down as they turn their heads looking at the front end wondering " is this, thats not a normal Mazda 3"! ,And another one, A shit talker i went to school with talking up how much his Toyota Supra would rip my car, thats a slow 4 cyl blah blah blah..to which i replied, "you ever been in a MPS", Him: "No", Me: "Lets Go", to which he replied at the end "Yeah it goes alright", , never said a word again!

Because the look I get from the C63 AMG face everytime, is priceless when they can't shake me! So called "Villian" put his head down in shame.

Hmmm. I guess the C63 AMG driver wasn't trying, or was hoping to preserve his tyres. I've driven quite a few of them and they have all been nothing short of stupendous, with enough torque to reverse the rotation of the Earth. I'd have no shame in bowing out of any competition with a C63 gracefully. I've been considering buying one but I resent the fact that $60+K goes to the Govt in taxes and that keeping rear rubber on them is very tiresome (pun intended) with an average life of only 12-15,000km between changes. Despite the fact that the e-nannies spend a lot of time harnessing all that power and keeping the car pointed the right way, it drives very well and corners hard enough to G-force your brain into one corner of your skull. With that and a 0-100 time of 4.5 seconds, I can't see how an MPS3 or 6 would even begin to keep up. I guess he was just teasing you

For general interest, see also: Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG v BMW M3 saloon | Car Review Group Test | evo
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 26-11-2012 at 11:53 PM.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    Hmmm. I guess the C63 AMG driver wasn't trying, or was hoping to preserve his tyres. I've driven quite a few of them and they have all been nothing short of stupendous, with enough torque to reverse the rotation of the Earth. I'd have no shame in bowing out of any competition with a C63 gracefully. I've been considering buying one but I resent the fact that $60+K goes to the Govt in taxes and that keeping rear rubber on them is very tiresome (pun intended) with an average life of only 12-15,000km between changes. Despite the fact that the e-nannies spend a lot of time harnessing all that power and keeping the car pointed the right way, it drives very well and corners hard enough to G-force your brain into one corner of your skull. With that and a 0-100 time of 4.5 seconds, I can't see how an MPS3 or 6 would even begin to keep up. I guess he was just teasing you

For general interest, see also: Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG v BMW M3 saloon | Car Review Group Test | evo
    C63 AMG = 336kW @ 1730kg (194.21kW/tonne)

MPS3 Gen 1 = 190kW @ 1403kg (135.42kW/tonne)

Gotta make up 59kW tonne to run one even, so if you had say 260kW from your MPS (185.31kW/tonne) you'd be holding on with them, especially if they're not properly launching it and concentrating, in which case the rear tyres are smoke and those things go nowhere (yes I have driven them before, and the 386kW E63s too).

You could keep up with one on the stock K04. With BT you could beat one pretty easily.

Mazdaspeed 3 vs Amg V8 kompressor - YouTube - bolt-ons MPS3 vs S55 AMG (368kW 700Nm 5.4 V8 S/C)

Plenty more of MPS vs AMG vids on youtube with the same results, but I don't want to start a linkfest.
    2011 Mazda 3 MPS

Maybe he wasn't but nevertheless it's always the same story they still get a shock when they unexpectedly think it is a Mazda 3. That's why so few no one understands them like we do.

17. Default

I pulled into a 7-11 the other day after washing my car. It was hot, had a craving for slurpee. Sitting outside the store were two youngish guys with their Statesman...

As I walked in, one asked "Hey mate, is that a turbo?"...

My reply "Yeah, it is, if you see that MPS badge, it's a turbo". The guy's mate just laughed at him.

I drive a '06 Gen 1 in black. Apart from the subtleties, it looks pretty close to a sporty version. I liked this about the car.
    I don't like the look of the Golf GTi... too bland for such a powerhouse of a car. Then there's the price...

Anyway, advertising and marketing is a little lackluster from Mazda. Now that $40k is common for a sporty small car in the current market, maybe Mazda should push their $40k car a little harder and get some sales up???

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Teeth View Post

Anyway, advertising and marketing is a little lackluster from Mazda. Now that $40k is common for a sporty small car in the current market, maybe Mazda should push their $40k car a little harder and get some sales up???
    This I agree with. Especially when the reasons given for discontinuing the MPS6 was "nobody bought them". The reality is, *nobody knew about them* = marketing failure!

Despite the fact that, as already stated, I like driving a Q-ship I am really peeved that Mazda don't market these sportier lines well. Even the RX8 gets little exposure. What is the sense of driving a big secret if it is so secret its marketing (and hence parts availability and serviceability) go off song? The MPS 6 should still be out there in some form or another yet it was allowed to die, and certainly not because it is a bad car. Value for money-wise, it is fantastic. As Clarkson said, "...why on earth would you buy a comparable BMW 3 series, the Mazda is better in every way" (this came after noting that it is twice the power, half the time to 100kmh and half the price of the BMW - and AWD)!!

I just got an invite to test drive the new Mazda 6. It looks nice. See Mazda Australia Zoom-Zoom - All-New Mazda6 - now all we want is for my previously-posted wish-list to be fulfilled - i.e an MPS version with even bigger brakes, AWD, paddle-shift, DSG box and 250Kw!!
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

I should add that the C63 AMG sport shift is very slick, all but instantaneous, and I think that any edge the Mazda might ever be be to get would be greatly enhanced by having a much better shift. Hence the reason I added DSG to my wish-list above. It would make the Mazda MPS6 so much better, its big limitation being short legs in 1st and 2nd and a slow shift. That is why I don't indulge in street-light launches and drags. But launch (relatively) gently and then wipe the floor with the competition in 3rd gear? Now that is a different story. It's got to be one of the best urban freeway on-ramp gears around!!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast