"Does your ____'s do that?"
    "Er, no... maybe they're different"
    "Told you so"
    A mate at a mates wedding..
    "Id put money on you losing to that MPS3"
    "I wont lose the MPS is FWD 4 cylinder"
    After a drive
    "Its quick but i still want my SS commie"
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    I also believe it comes down to marketing, there is no TV ad for the MPS so nobody really knows that they exist. As for the torque steer....I do not know what they are on about, the MPS makes a lot more torque than it's competitors and it holds it in check very good imo. I also agree on the AWD that should have been introduced into the 3 MPS...that would have made for one hell of ride!!!

For me climbing out of a 28psi Evo 9 on Ethanol the torque steer is nothing....you should feel the Evo once you start punching it through the corners...it bites back hard!!
    Indeed, advertising... I have noticed a sad lack of the MPS model in the Mazda 3 TV ad that shows off all the other variants... And as I said in a previous comment, a Mazda owner I spoke to who was aware of the MPS 6 concept car, was not aware it had ever been built... ADVERTISE THIS SHIT PEOPLE!

Torque Steer... Almost the most fun apsect of driving FWD, second only to lift-off oversteer...

AWD in a 3 would make it a killer! Though the 6 handles far better than my MX-6 (1200KGs) ever did, you can definetly feel the extra 400+KGs when you throw it into the twisties... The 3 would be better in this apsect... A DISI powered AWD MX-6 would conquer ALL!!!

And yes, AWD does not make you immune to torque steer, especially with the 6's "FWD first, AWD second" configuration, but any torque steer is only a barely felt twitch...

Chris.
    '05 MPS 6, Liquid Silver Metallic, Leather, Sunroof.

DashHawk, TurboSmart Dualport, COBB SF SRI and TIP, CPe REM, 2XS Titanium SSP, Coolant bypass,
    Exedy OEM spec clutch, Corksport SS Braided Clutch Line, ROH Mantis 18*7.5+45.

Growing old is compulsory... Growing up is optional...

Mate of mine came with me a while back. Not much of a car buff. He made some casual comments about it being "Just an ordinary Mazda 6". We were running quietly for some time in boring traffic until we were balked temporarily on a long country back road by a long line of slow tiddlers in front, the typical sluggish and unaware Perth drivers out for a Sunday drive, their cars in gear but their brains in neutral.

A long stretch of straight road presented itself and before anyone else could make their usual painful slow passing manoeuvre at 1kmh above the average line speed, the "ordinary Mazda 6" was out and off and reeled in the entire line of 8 cars in one swift pass, a rare chance to run the engine flawlessly out to full song, then tucked back safe in the left lane, all in mere seconds. 3rd and 4th gears are dynamite for instant pull-out and passing and 5th has such wonderfully long legs! This is what useful power is all about.

Stunned and respectful silence from the left seat! Nothing more said about an "ordinary Mazda 6".

Piss-weak, under-performing and under-braked cars are just plain dangerous.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

I think that's what I'll do now. I'll just let people continue to think I'm driving that "really shiny red Mazda", until they're a passenger ... and bang. They can continue to crap on about their "fast Golf" that is constantly in for the same expensive repairs, I know I'm happy with what I've got It's good having a car no-one knows jack about.

Japanese-derived car manufacturers have really lost a lot of footing and recognition in the hot hatch market over the past decade - the European marques have definately taken this crown for many years now. Sad, really.

JB
    Last edited by Byrd; 20-11-2012 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    .....their cars in gear but their brains in neutral.
    This is the best way I've heard Sunday drivers described. Love it!

I think it is great to drive a Q-ship.

BTW, that term came from WW2 when harmless looking freighters were armed with concealed guns that could be exposed in seconds by dropping steel screens that were just fake superstructures. They took out a few Germans. Australia lost HMAS Sydney to a similar German ship in what I view as an instance of monumental and court-martialable neglect to take proper precautions by Sydney's master. But I digress....

I drove an Iso Rivolta Fidia years ago, a wonderful exotic (only 174 or so made). It was one of the fastest four-door cars ever built then and had really nice lines by Giorgetto Giugiaro of Ghia, but the Ghia badge on the side caused some idiots who know squat about cars to pull up alongside at the lights in their shit-box Falcodores and leer out of the window and ask, in that dopey tone that only a certain but not uncommon type of dumb Aussie can manage, "Der, mate, is that some kind of Ford?".

They invariably found out that "some kind of Ford" it certainly wasn't when the lights turned green, the big, worked, high-compression Swiss 350 GM lit up and all they saw and heard were the tail-pipes and a banshee howl of a great engine on-song!

Such things bring a broad smile and raise the hairs on one's neck!
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 20-11-2012 at 02:00 PM.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Default MPS - why so few?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    I think it is great to drive a Q-ship.

BTW, that term came from WW2 when harmless looking freighters were armed with concealed guns that could be exposed in seconds by dropping steel screens that were just fake superstructures. They took out a few Germans. Australia lost HMAS Sydney to a similar German ship in what I view as an instance of monumental and court-martialable neglect to take proper precautions by Sydney's master. But I digress....

I drove an Iso Rivolta Fidia years ago, a wonderful exotic (only 174 or so made). It was one of the fastest four-door cars ever built then and had really nice lines by Giorgetto Giugiaro of Ghia, but the Ghia badge on the side caused some idiots who know squat about cars to pull up alongside at the lights in their shit-box Falcodores and leer out of the window and ask, in that dopey tone that only a certain but not uncommon type of dumb Aussie can manage, "Der, mate, is that some kind of Ford?".

They invariably found out that "some kind of Ford" it certainly wasn't when the lights turned green, the big, worked, high-compression Swiss 350 GM lit up and all they saw and heard were the tail-pipes and a banshee howl of a great engine on-song!

Such things bring a broad smile and raise the hairs on one's neck!
    Sheer poetry!
    It's like a tornado, inside it's own metal house

I don't mind the exexclusivity
    When I spoke to my dealer he said that Mazda Australia only sells 50-60 per month MAX.

Yes indeed, Dan. It seems everyone lusts after a car with a blue and white propeller emblem on the bonnet - here in WA at any rate, Bimmers are like fleas on the road, mostly the cheaper lines, like 320's. Common as muck I say! They also typically spend far more time in the workshop than Mazdas. I looked at Bimmers a while back and was underwhelmed by the finish, especially when one considers the huge premium one is expected to pay for the cachet lent by the badge.

Similarly, the Audi equivalent of the MPS6 is the S4. A nice car but with Audi everything seems to be an optional extra and the base price for a circa 220Kw AWD car like the S4 is $147,000K - before all the normal add-ons. Someone is having a lend!

Some people used to be critical of the MPS6 saying it looked too much like an ordinary Mazda 6, but that is the way I like it. Why so many people feel they need to shout their presence by huge and often excessive cosmetic differences like spoilers, stripes, scoops and flares I have no idea. Subtle visual cues like the subdued body kit and the bonnet bulge and rear valance pipe ports are just fine for me, so only the initiated and truly anointed know what lies beneath.

There is nothing worse than a car that advertizes much but fails to perform. I far prefer the converse.

Rather like the old quote: "'Tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"

Quote Originally Posted by DAN MPS 3 View Post
    I don't mind the exexclusivity
    When I spoke to my dealer he said that Mazda Australia only sells 50-60 per month MAX.
    Really?
    There was a thread on how many they sold last fin year. Damn where is it!

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

Found it
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/offic...breakdown.html

Mazda - Mazda3 MPS
    24 per monthly sales
    151 YTD

This all equals a rare car on the roads!
    Still doesn't help resale figures, but it doesn't hurt either!

Quote Originally Posted by slixx View Post
    Found it

Mazda - Mazda3 MPS
    24 per monthly sales
    151 YTD

This all equals a rare car on the roads!
    Still doesn't help resale figures, but it doesn't hurt either!
    Holy Crap! Well I will tell my mate when I pick the car up.

151... thats crazy. Its lucky its based on a 3, otherwise it would be an expensive model to keep in their range.
    EG: body/chassis parts that are the same, engine that is used in other Mazda vehicles.

It's almost like raiding spare parts

151 ... that's terrible! I can only assume the MPS is just not offered as an option at the dealership unless specifically asked for.

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
    151 ... that's terrible! I can only assume the MPS is just not offered as an option at the dealership unless specifically asked for.
    I went to 3 dealerships (around Adelaide) when I was looking around originally (albeit at SP25s) and none of them carried the MPS in the showroom. I was very surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by zacman View Post
    I went to 3 dealerships (around Adelaide) when I was looking around originally (albeit at SP25s) and none of them carried the MPS in the showroom. I was very surprised.
    Yup... ive never seen a Gen II in a showroom ever
    I bought mine from a Madza dealer, but it was Mazda Owned

Currently RaydTuned

Had cops looking over my car and a work mates car VE SS lowered, 19's etc yesterday. When i got in my car and drove away the cop looked to me smiled and nodded his head, i proceed to smile and nod back lol. Did he know what it was maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by RedDjinn View Post
    Had cops looking over my car and a work mates car VE SS lowered, 19's etc yesterday. When i got in my car and drove away the cop looked to me smiled and nodded his head, i proceed to smile and nod back lol. Did he know what it was maybe?
    The last place i worked for we used to Auction Mazda 3 MPS Gen I ex Cop cars
    Maybe he did!

Currently RaydTuned

Nope - he just saw you trying to look tuff in a Mazda 3 lol.

But seriously - marketing.

That and the price gap between models.
    You can pick up an sp25 new for like 23k - but it's going to be very hard to convince the person who came in to buy a Mazda hatch to dip into their pocket for another 15k+ for essentially the same car with an extra serve of killerwasps....

Lots of hot hatches options out there, and if I was in the market today I wouldn't pick the MPS either.

No marketing excuse on that one, I own a MPS and i know what they are like.

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEY View Post
    Nope - he just saw you trying to look tuff in a Mazda 3 lol.

But seriously - marketing.

That and the price gap between models.
    You can pick up an sp25 new for like 23k - but it's going to be very hard to convince the person who came in to buy a Mazda hatch to dip into their pocket for another 15k+ for essentially the same car with an extra serve of killerwasps....
    It's coz they don't offer the MPS in auto, right. Hehehe, just joshing Mat

Peter "SLIXX"

Currently RaydTuned

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast