User Tag List

Thread: 2006 Gen 1 MPS incorrect speedo/adjustment of needle?

Default 2006 Gen 1 MPS incorrect speedo/adjustment of needle?

Hi,

I thought it bad form to resurrect this 2010 thread here:

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...reading-8.html

... so starting again. I recently purchased a lightly used 2006 MPS Gen 1, with 140K on the clock. It has some cheap 225/40/18 tyres which will need replacing soon.

Trawling through the above thread, it didn't take me long to see that my MPS is speedo needle is out + 10km/+ 10% - I need to drive at 50 for 40km, 110 for 100km, etc. I can accept a few % of difference but have never come across a speedo this inaccurate.

Has anyone encountered the same thing, and how did you fix it - had anyone adjusted the needle itself, which is what appears to be my problem? The tyres I have, how much % difference in speedo would it be over the stock 215/45/18?

Thanks

JB

Fit 225/45 tyres, it makes it a little closer to accurate.

Its probably closer to 10% inaccurate instead of the straight 10km/hr off. I have 225/45 on mine and for me its about 5km/hr overestimated at 110km/hr using my GPS speedometer. The gold standard would be to recalibrate everytime you change tyre sizes but using a GPS speedometer is as close to one can get and practical as well i reckon...

4. Default

I have a 2007 3 MPS and ive had the same problem but much worse. U see, mine was out by 10km/h at 80km/h(would read 70km/h) but would get worse the higher the speed goes. Unfortunately for me the remedy was for the state manager to come and drive it and the result of that was to have the entire cluster replaced. I requested to get one that read as close to the correct speed as possible. Mine now reads only a couple of km over actual speed. Good luck

Thanks all for your suggestions. Running alongside a GPS, mine is definately, consistently out by 10km/h (so 50km on speedo is 40, not 10%). No doubt I'll get used to it, I believe the OBD2 readout is more accurate (so will try torque or something on a PC to test it), but if it's always been like this it's been misreporting the speed by 10% for all it's life.

Obviously it's out of warranty so would have no luck getting a new cluster, and a replacement would be crazy $$$ from Mazda these days.

mech81, out of interest what tyres are your 225/45s?

JB

I'm running to the end of my Sumitomos HTZIII (which unfortunately are no longer available), I'm looking at a set of Michelins supersports at 225/45 or 225/40, profile still up in the air. I'm leaning towards the 45s as I want a slightly better ride instead of harder ones

yeah my speedo is out by about 10km/h also. but im running 225/35/19 though.