User Tag List

Thread: Custom Polystyrene Boot Floor

Default Custom Polystyrene Boot Floor

Well as some may or may not know, i recently had a fibreglass wheel well sub box fabricated so i could upgrade the dogdy OEM Sub with a Fusion 12in CP Sub. Unfortuantely as part of the process this meant i needed to raise the boot floor by around 50-60mm so the boot lid would sit clear above the sub. To do this i simply ran 3 planks of 50mm soft pine underneath the existing Polystyrene floor so this sat above the new position of the aftermarket sub. From the outset i knew this was a barn-yard/temporary solution and the inherent issue i now have is everytime i hit the tiniest bump the floor vibrates!

Possible Solution - this seems a little extreme but i was thinking about having another polystyrene boot floor laser cut to suit the new set-up. Only problem is i'm struggling to find someone in Brisbane that can design & laser cut in Polystyrene so i was wondering if anyone has knowledge of any places willing to take this small job on OR if anyone has other ideas to resolve my problem as there maybe a simplier way and as usual i'm not thinking laterally enough !!

Last edited by LRRH; 16-11-2012 at 02:57 PM.
    2XS RACING $ CORKSPORT $ MAGNAFLOW $ ​UNSURE MOTORSPORTS $ COBB $ INJEN $ FULCRUM $ FEDERAL TYRES $ VISUAL GARAGE $ ADVANCED PERFORMANCE CENTRE $ B C M $ NGK $ STRATIFIED $ AUTOTECH $ DBA $ REMSA $ DGR $ MORIMOTO $ JBR $ FUSION

2. Default

what about some foam strip (adhesive) on the plank of wood? That would keep the wood in place and also providing that soft buffer between the wood and boot shell? That would be silver barn yard solution

- - - Updated - - -

hows the new sub by the way?

Quote Originally Posted by allo80 View Post
    what about some foam strip (adhesive) on the plank of wood? That would keep the wood in place and also providing that soft buffer between the wood and boot shell? That would be silver barn yard solution

- - - Updated - - -

hows the new sub by the way?
    Sounds like a reasonably simple solution & thanks for the idea Only thing with that is it would still look a bit thrown together....The new sub is awesome man, if nothing else it shows how bad the OEM set-up is which is a shame considering it's supposed to be a premium sound system package, on a positive note it shows you don't have to do alot to the standard set-up to get a really good sound!
    2XS RACING $ CORKSPORT $ MAGNAFLOW $ ​UNSURE MOTORSPORTS $ COBB $ INJEN $ FULCRUM $ FEDERAL TYRES $ VISUAL GARAGE $ ADVANCED PERFORMANCE CENTRE $ B C M $ NGK $ STRATIFIED $ AUTOTECH $ DBA $ REMSA $ DGR $ MORIMOTO $ JBR $ FUSION

4. Default

you could also get a high denisty foam 50mm thick (something that can withstand some pressure) from clark rubber and use that instead of the wood. That way you can cut to size to make it fit just nice under the existing polystyrene floor? Just thinking out aloud

Quote Originally Posted by allo80 View Post
    you could also get a high denisty foam 50mm thick (something that can withstand some pressure) from clark rubber and use that instead of the wood. That way you can cut to size to make it fit just nice under the existing polystyrene floor? Just thinking out aloud
    That sounds like a great idea....seems obvious really. I suppose i could hit the foam with a can of black paint as well so it looked the part! THANKS MATE will give it a shot...

could I ask how much making the enclosure cost?

No worries, i had it packaged with a CP Series Sub & Fusion 1600 Monoblock 2 Channel Amp for $800-. I think that was slightly cheaper then Shane would usually charge as there was a bit of trial and error with it hence my need to fix the boot rattle. I understand Yeldarb (Brad) received a quote from him recently and was around $1000- installed (unsure what this included though. If you're in Brisbane you could give him a call.

Influential Customs - 0432 614 530

Otherwise maybe Redjinn (Luke) might like to chime in, he's where i got my incentive to move forward with something...