Thread: New OTS maps and boost targets

Default Re: New ots maps

Pg Sri.
    Its the stg 2 cs map plus ic and dp

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by slixx View Post
    @Jmac. I bought the Cobb coz I thought I could just set and forget it. Done

But all this logging and data is getting me worried that there might be something wrong with my car and I don't know it.

I know I should research and investigate, log test, but I just don't have the technical knowledge, time or the balls to screw around with my car that much without fully understanding it and having the resources to correct it

Full respect for those on here who are Cobb AP fans and fully understand it but I'm getting worried just hearing all these terms

FFS and Launch control are available via a WOTBox and logging well I've said my piece

I'm not backing up @PremHK and I'm not fully convinced that MazdaEdit is the way for me. But if I did go to the "dark side", let say, I would have "some" reassurance that trained professionals have Dyno tuned my car to run in a healthy manner

I know @PremHK is just giving shit and having a bit of fun, don't take him that seriously

Peter "SLIXX"
    Pete you can still take your ap and have a custom tune on a dyno. Rx8 specialties can do it here in Melbourne.

The issues I am having you can still have with the Mazda edit. Its the nature of modifying a car. Difference is i can diagnose and fix it here for free rather than hpf and pay 3 hours effort.

If you are worried take some third gear data logs and post them up. If you get stuck we can meet up and I can help you out.

The ots maps are just generic tunes at the end of the day. There is nothing wrong with my car at the moment except 50nm of kissing torque with the new map update. I could just roll back to the v230 map to resolve the issue but im curious to know why.

I like the AP because I can change my tune at any point, I can go back to stock before a mazda service so they don't over write my tune. I can data log to diagnose boost leaks, I can read dtc's and clear them, I can use it to see live values, give me virtual dyno read outs, give me 0-100 times to see how different mods or changes suit my car.

The ap is the future, it is the best of both worlds with a custom tune for it.

I'm not knocking mazda edit but it's open source software developed by Russians. My preference would be tried and tested Ecutek for a custom flash or the AP. Spend some time on msf and see what they are all doing.

Last edited by Jmac; 15-11-2012 at 12:17 PM.
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Pg Sri.
    Its the stg 2 cs map plus ic and dp

I'll have a look when I get home, don't have a copy of ATR at work

Dare I ask, do you trust me enough to make minor changes?
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    I'll have a look when I get home, don't have a copy of ATR at work

Dare I ask, do you trust me enough to make minor changes?
    Have a look see first. I re flashed this morning and now it's hitting 18 *shrug*.

-= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Quote Originally Posted by slixx View Post
    @Jmac. I bought the Cobb coz I thought I could just set and forget it. Done

But all this logging and data is getting me worried that there might be something wrong with my car and I don't know it.

I know I should research and investigate, log test, but I just don't have the technical knowledge, time or the balls to screw around with my car that much without fully understanding it and having the resources to correct it

Full respect for those on here who are Cobb AP fans and fully understand it but I'm getting worried just hearing all these terms

FFS and Launch control are available via a WOTBox and logging well I've said my piece

I'm not backing up @PremHK and I'm not fully convinced that MazdaEdit is the way for me. But if I did go to the "dark side", let say, I would have "some" reassurance that trained professionals have Dyno tuned my car to run in a healthy manner

I know @PremHK is just giving shit and having a bit of fun, don't take him that seriously

Peter "SLIXX"
    I've been in the same boat as yourself with AP, I found it great to log and be able to clear CELs, switch between maps and all that jazz and e-tuning is the best route to go if you have the location and patience, but the main thing that turned me off was not having time to do the logs or travel 100km for each log, I just can't justify it. Yes, you can go to RX-8 specialties and keep the AP and get a dyno tune, I spoke to him for an hour about it the only concern I have is his experience with tuning MPS, not to say he doesn't know what he's doing but I couldn't help being concerned about that. Price, keeping AP and going local I was looking at another $500 for a dyno tune when I could sell the AP for $500 and get a local proven dyno tune for only $300 more, no travelling hundreds of kilometres for logs and no worrying about the tune after (this could be debatable).
    To be honest, not once have I logged (other than quickly checking my boost or fuel trims) or left the AP plugged in. I've flashed the map and barely used the AP since, no CELs and no real issues, I just didn't find myself using it at all other than flashing a map. If I really wanted something to read CELs, I have an OBD2 plug that I can connect to with my phone to read the code, the rest is up to me to diagnose, or take it to someone with more experience. FFS and LC I have not touched, I just dont see the need for a daily driver when going 10kms to work and home each day. Maybe on the weekend when having a bit of fun on the road, or if you track the car, but otherwise it's a luxury that can be picked up with a WOT box. The thing I do like about AP is being able to hide CELs or remove them from a tune.
    In a few years I may switch back when local experience becomes more available, and cheaper but the more I think about it the less I need it. e85 is *close* to me, saying close, that is 10-15kms drive out of my way to fill up. Worth it for a few more kws, but if I have to end up doing that every week I will get tired of it real fast. Saying that, you could always just flash back to 98 if you can't find a servo.
    If I didn't live so close to the CBD and I lived more towards the country, I wouldnt think twice about it, keep AP and do logs 5 minutes from home, but unfortunately It didnt work out that way. I still believe the best way to tune is dyno with road test and tweak after, anyway, if I had the location to do logs I would, so if you do I say go for it, otherwise look at a local tune. If all goes well with an e-tune (which it should 99% of the time) you shouldnt need to 'log' all the time. Most guys on here like to learn and see whats going on with their cars hence log and learn constantly.

In regards to boost tune maps, I found 231 maps really sluggish when it got warmer, I ended up going back to 230 and it felt more consistent in the same sort of weather.
    Last edited by dazza; 15-11-2012 at 03:35 PM.
    '05 6 MPS | BNR S3 | JBR 3.5" Intake | Corksport Airbox | CP-E 3.25" TMIC | M2 DP | CP-E CBE | CP-E/TT Diff Mounts | Autotech HPFP Internals | JBR REM, PMM, TMM | SURE Shortcut | SURE Countershift | SURE Anchors | Denso ITV22s | JBR TIGs | EGR Delete | Coolant Bypass | PTP Inj Seals | MD OCC | H&R Springs | Bilstein B8 Shocks | Car-LED Tails | Badgeless Grille | 6000k HIDs | OZ Ultraleggera 18x8 +48

Default New OTS maps and boost targets

I'm in probation with Snr Ritchie at the moment. Can't really afford to wind out 3rd gear!!!

Appreciate everything every one has said. So we should get back on topic

Peter "SLIXX"

Why do you think russian technology is inferior to US Jmac? Any reasoning to this comment?? From what I and others have seen, their country has some of the quickest tuned cars in the world..

ps- there is nothing to diagnose/fix after a mazedit. Once its tuned, leave it alone. Unless your a qualified and very experienced tuner of course. Sadly, no one here is.. If there is an issue with the tune even at a later date, my tuner (HPF) will look and rectify for free if it is a "tuning" issue. Its not rocket science to understand that "etuning' is an inferior way to properley have your car tuned. Im not to sure about it being "the way of the future" either IMO.
    Seeing what everyone is doing on MSF is the sheeps way of thinking you are going by things rightly too. Yanks are known for their stupidity and brainless attempts, and all I have seen is alot of blown up engines from the States.

Default Re: New OTS maps and boost targets

Reasons why i prefer access port (also applies to versa tuner)

Multiple tunes, e85/summer/winter tunes... you can calibrate your MAF curve to suit different weather and atmospheric conditions.

Access port also acts as a monitoring device, can view live data, and also has a stupidly fast logging time...

E85 fuelling scalars are a wonderful thing, our engines have a horrible time dealing with knock issues, and e85 nullifies this much more simply than meth does.

Yes the Americans have blown up a lot of engines, but they've pushed this platform far further than any of us have. That Russian dude with the fast 6, want to know why he used mazedit, cause he didn't have access to the access port before, and he has gained all his helpful info off MSF, he's on there, constantly asking questions, and has admitted he is considering swapping tuning platforms.

OTS maps have "problems" because it's designed to be a safe boring tune that works in all situations... a weaker waste gate spring, worn spark plugs, all sorts of things can vary car to car... simple changes to OTS maps can transform these cars, and customise it to each person, but everyone is too scared to do that, and I consider that a pity...

You bag out etuning, but very few e-tuned cars have actually blown up, unless something catastrophic happened... bad fuel/failed injectors/stuck waste gates/ turbo failures are all more likely to cause zzb than an e-tune... the people who've blown their engines, were self tuning, and deliberately pushing the engine to it's limits.

Dyno tunes in the US are mainly used to get that last bit of power, not to make the car safer... the guys who do it have done hundreds of cars each... they know the limits of the engine and how to keep it safe.

At the end of the day, it's a viable tuning solution, just because something is new doesn't mean it's worse...
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Also, one last question, is mazedit boost or load based? If it's the latter, its likely that it is running into the limitation of the ECU logic where by at loads above 2.0, with injector duty cycle >90% the car automatically removes boost... this makes it unsuitable for larger Turbo applications...

Ecutek which MRT and TH use is apparently still unable to go over loads of 2.0, hence why you see so much more torque from stock turbos in the US...

Quote Originally Posted by PremHK View Post
    Why do you think russian technology is inferior to US Jmac? Any reasoning to this comment?? From what I and others have seen, their country has some of the quickest tuned cars in the world..

ps- there is nothing to diagnose/fix after a mazedit. Once its tuned, leave it alone. Unless your a qualified and very experienced tuner of course. Sadly, no one here is.. If there is an issue with the tune even at a later date, my tuner (HPF) will look and rectify for free if it is a "tuning" issue. Its not rocket science to understand that "etuning' is an inferior way to properley have your car tuned. Im not to sure about it being "the way of the future" either IMO.
    Seeing what everyone is doing on MSF is the sheeps way of thinking you are going by things rightly too. Yanks are known for their stupidity and brainless attempts, and all I have seen is alot of blown up engines from the States.
    So how do you diagnose a boost leak, timing issues etc? I've had these that were not due to the tune.

I'm not taking about e tuning. I'm talking about custom dyno tuning with a superior software with superior features.

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    So how do you diagnose a boost leak, timing issues etc? I've had these that were not due to the tune.

I'm not taking about e tuning. I'm talking about custom dyno tuning with a superior software with superior features.

This is wrong thread to discuss this
    CoilOver arguments all over again

Each to there own I guess

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

I was running the OTS stage 2 98 from Cobb for alittle while. Currently doing tuning with Rich.

For those interested, i've attached a 4th gear WOT on the OTS Cobb maps if you wanna look at it. Peaks at about 19psi +/- sometimes goes to 21psi.
    4th Gear WOT #3.csv

13. Default

Ive just flashed to Stage 2 from stage 1. Running a CS intake, catted race pipe and HPFP internals. 2nd gear seemed to only hit 14 to 15 psi (no more than stage 1), and only for a long run in 4th did it get near 18 (hit 17.5).

Does the tune need some time to learn the trims in order to hit the commanded boost amount? Or should it be hitting it from wot? I'm not sure why 2nd gear isn't getting near the commanded boost (or 3rd for that matter).
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by allo80 View Post
    Ive just flashed to Stage 2 from stage 1. Running a CS intake, catted race pipe and HPFP internals. 2nd gear seemed to only hit 14 to 15 psi (no more than stage 1), and only for a long run in 4th did it get near 18 (hit 17.5).

Does the tune need some time to learn the trims in order to hit the commanded boost amount? Or should it be hitting it from wot? I'm not sure why 2nd gear isn't getting near the commanded boost (or 3rd for that matter).
    Not sure how much it will affect it, but stage 2 is meant to be or only one high-flow cat. Your 2 are probably putting a bit of extra strain on the turbo.

Edit* although, I think targets are +/-1 or 2 psi anyway.

Sent from my evil apple using TapaCrash
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

15. Default

Yeah, targets are +- 1.5psi and according to the map notes you can run stage 2 on a catted rp as opposed to a down pipe

Stage 2 you can run a aftermarket downpipe and/or mid-pipe as long as you remove/replace one of the stock cats. I have the stock downpipe and then replaced the mid-pipe and cat-back section and hit just above the targets. Are you running the map with the intake calibrations for the Corksport intake?

17. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DAN MPS 3 View Post
    Stage 2 you can run a aftermarket downpipe and/or mid-pipe as long as you remove/replace one of the stock cats. I have the stock downpipe and then replaced the mid-pipe and cat-back section and hit just above the targets. Are you running the map with the intake calibrations for the Corksport intake?
    Yep, running the CS calibrations.
    Yeah, probably need to get a better DP, i must have interpreted the notes wrong in the map notes 2.32 exhaust requirements: a catted turboback exhaust system or a catted test pipe... but i did take that note as catted RP + stock DP = okay for stage 2.

So perhaps you are just one of the unlucky few whom use OTS maps and can't hit those boost targets. If you ATR you can alter the maps to hit those targets.

19. Default

I think I may have to play with the wastegate tables. What I don't get is why I get closer to boost targets in 4th rather than 2nd or 3rd, perhaps higher BATs in lower gears?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12