User Tag List

Thread: Mazda 6 Pop-up LCD screen with GPS

1. Default Mazda 6 Pop-up LCD screen with GPS

Hey guys,

I'm interested in getting one of those motorised LCD screens that pop up from the top of the dashboard from ebay. it comes with GPS, DVD, bluetooth and so on. just wondering if the gps would still work here in AUS even though theyre from China. and would i be able to update it using those disc updates from whereis?

Quote Originally Posted by omarameer View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm interested in getting one of those motorised LCD screens that pop up from the top of the dashboard from ebay. it comes with GPS, DVD, bluetooth and so on. just wondering if the gps would still work here in AUS even though theyre from China. and would i be able to update it using those disc updates from whereis?
    I do believe with a bit of work you can put Garmin or TomTom on as they run Windows CE. Have a read on google about it. Most of them will tell you if they have the latest Aus maps in the description.
    '05 6 MPS | BNR S3 | JBR 3.5" Intake | Corksport Airbox | CP-E 3.25" TMIC | M2 DP | CP-E CBE | CP-E/TT Diff Mounts | Autotech HPFP Internals | JBR REM, PMM, TMM | SURE Shortcut | SURE Countershift | SURE Anchors | Denso ITV22s | JBR TIGs | EGR Delete | Coolant Bypass | PTP Inj Seals | MD OCC | H&R Springs | Bilstein B8 Shocks | Car-LED Tails | Badgeless Grille | 6000k HIDs | OZ Ultraleggera 18x8 +48

These devices are strange beasts - they run a modified version of Windows CE (version 5 or 6) running a custom front-end and lock you out of installing any other application apart from another GPS application. You can then put another GPS application on an SP card, navigate to this, and it should work well provided you find the right one (check austech forums). There is also a hacked front end called MioPocket which gives you a replacement menu and let you run multiple apps on top of this.

Don't expect much from the software - it's pretty basic with various quirks, if it was a few years ago you'd think it was amazing but nowadays with slick smartphone/iPad apps the generic software is pretty disappointing. If you want it just for GPS though, the software is decent (iGO 8 is the pick of the lot).

I just bought a flip-up LCD mount from raffa on the forums with OEM-style Mazda 3 top mount. In terms of quality the device is quite good - it looks the part, but I'm getting my head around the software quirks at the moment. Installing it wasn't too difficult, except the piggy back harness it comes with is simply too big and inflexible, so you really have to neaten up the radio bay and tie things back just to get the radio back in - lots of trial and error. It's a keeper in my car though I look forward to seeing what happens with say an iPod Mini car mount, so my car might have two screens soon