User Tag List

Thread: My Bent Turbo Fin/Blade :(

Default My Bent Turbo Fin/Blade :(

Decided to make this thread following on from my Original Thread found here:

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/intak...ing-boost.html

And Raffa's:

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/intak...-its-self.html.

Anyway today I took it all apart to try and fix my Fin but i stopped once i realised that it's obviously not a quick fix, and you should listen to some of the other people on the interwebs.

I believe that this is the cause of this whinning noise:

What would be my best choice to fix the issue?

I've seen some second hand turbos from Wreckers for a cheap price, or I can get a brand new OEM Replace off ebay for $500...

Or should i spend the more to repair the current one that has nearly 90,000km and has shown signs of smoking?

Not sure what to do, I've got a EBC and HPFP in the car atm and was very interested in a BNR should i just pull the trigger and do it?

Any opinions and thoughts welcome .

James
    Last edited by Bakis; 10-11-2012 at 08:47 PM.
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

Default Re: My Bent Turbo Fin/Blade :(

Bnr S3, tune, profit

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

sounds cool :P i think its a bit of harmonics at play, but the imbalance will probably screw up the bearings eventually

you will need to change the wheel and get it balanced but may as well get a reworked core like the BNR . cheapest fix would be to exchange it for another stocker but you wouldnt really know the condition of the turbo. if taking the stocker route, best to check it with a turbo place to see if its ok

This is up on Ebay but i'm not sure about it...

MAZDA 6 MPS HT18S TURBOCHARGER AFTERMARKET CX7 MPS MAZDA 3 TURBO | eBay

One it's $1k and Two its a used unit which i'm unsure of the km's it's done. Maybe i'll contact them and find out about it, then maybe contact BNR and ask when the Turbo with that VIN was re-manufactured and ask if it's a Stage 3.

Would that work on my 3 or not?

The add on Ebay isn't very clear imo
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

Subbed for opinions as I'm in the same boat

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

BNR core, or get the core changed to something better if you turbo is on the way out.
    BTW - how did you end up bending the fin like that? Have you been running without a filter?

nope i've always used a K&N filter with a TurboXS CAI, i did replace my filter (because i thought it was causing the noise) about 8 months ago and the old one did have a small hole in the material.

Not sure how else it could happen, would possible turbo flutter cause this? Meaning running a spring, in the Bypass Valve, which is to stiff?

ill be selling my GT3071R very soon :P

Quote Originally Posted by rayd View Post
    you going back to stock or bigger/better eg EFR or GTX

Quote Originally Posted by Axspeed6 View Post
    you going back to stock or bigger/better eg EFR or GTX
    dropped in a GTX (see my ride thread for pics + details)

The factory turbos are renown for showing excessive shaft play as they age, this is mainly due to heat related failure, there is a chance your compressor wheel has contacted the housing at some point causing your bent fin.

Quote Originally Posted by rayd View Post
    Price?

Default My Bent Turbo Fin/Blade :(

Quote Originally Posted by raffa View Post
    Price?

Don't want to hijack thread, feel free to PM with interest

Wanna keep same size turbo so the running gear i have still works, ie Inlets and such... Much like a BNR.

Was thinking after discussion with @PremHK thinking a trip to ATP in Melbourne to Hi-flow and repair stocker maybe a good bet, has 2 years warranty on it so might be good option.

good choice

this thread is just a replay of the other old threads.

you have sucked something very small into the turbo as only 1 fin is bent. if it was something big, you'd have multiple bent fins or a dead turbo straight up. compress surge is very very very minimal in these car, and these is no sign of cracking.

do not buy a second hand turbo. you'll be in the same boat sometime in the near future. they are just piss weak turbos to start off with. no good rolling the dice again.

buy the $500 ebay ones if money is tight and you cannot be without your car for a fortnight. this would be a 3 hour job to swap.

or go BNR option (or similar) if you have the money and a chasing a few extra kWs. and have a fortnight spare to be without the car. i do like this option, although overpriced, it does eliminate the turbo biggest/weakest link which is a journal bearing.
    Last edited by projectrracing; 11-11-2012 at 02:34 PM.