User Tag List

Thread: Mods on new MPS 3

Default Mods on new MPS 3

Hey all I'm very new to Mazda and the forum only picked up my new MPS 3 yesterday Have read a lot of stuff on the forums here but have a few questions about upgrades:

Im going to order some H&R springs and a rear sway bar first. I was going to do a DP, a CAI, a cat back exhaust, then a retune to finish. However I spent a bit of time reading about the Cobb Acess Port. My questions were as follows:

1) Has anyone tried one of these on a new MPS and does it support the new models?
    2) Would I be better to make this my first mod so I have the ability to retune as I apply the other mods?
    3) I only saw maps on their website for CAI upgrades not exhausts DP's etc?
    4) Can u upgrade a map with no mods for better performance if I bought this as my first mod?
    5) How much do they cost and can we get them direct from their website, or do I have to get it from a dealer in AUS.
    6) How safe is it to do with preloaded maps can I wreck anything?

I apologise upfront for all the questions and appreciate anyone that could take the time to help

Default Re: Mods on new MPS 3

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12544

Probably looking for this ^
    Can get them from edge auto sport
    Enter code "cobbap" when you checkout for a discount!

Love your wanting to get into engine mods and get going.. MY ADVICE dont!!... give it a few thou ks before doing engine mods, treat her right get a good run in this is most important early on (change to good oils). Do handling mods or brake mods first start with RSB, engine mount, springs and shocks, camber adjusters, body bracing, aftermarket wheels (selling your rims now before many scraps/marks are on them will net u a nice price)....

I buy second hand cars for myself cuz i mod quickly, i buy new cars for the mrs cuz they stay standard.
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

From someone who's done pretty much the lot...

Rear engine mount
    Rear sway bar
    Cobb access port

That's about $1000 right there

If you want induction noise, grab a SRI...

Then just enjoy your car for a bit

Thanks for the link sarcastic read through that post, thanks Red understand what your saying wasn't going to do it straight away. The FAQ doesn't say if it's suitable for the new models? Also it seems you can't do a retune with no mods I.e Map 1 is a CAI at least?

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    From someone who's done pretty much the lot...

Rear engine mount
    Rear sway bar
    Cobb access port

That's about $1000 right there

If you want induction noise, grab a SRI...

Then just enjoy your car for a bit
    Still need engine mounts even on the new models? Can you link me a good one Sarcastic? Can I retune with no engine mods for better performance? Def getting springs and rear sway bar first

you dont need mods for AP, as you can use a base OTS map - i did that and i had mods.
    yes get a rear engine mount, haven't driven a gen2 but probably similar to a gen1, but the REM will help with changing gears, really key mod. Check out jamesbarone or edgeautosport for rear engine mounts.

from what ive read, gen 2's need hpfp internals also (autotech) or full hpfp replacements when doing power mods so consider that also.

Cobbs site shows it supports up to 2013 model MPS3's so your good
    Former 06 Black MPS3

EXE-Crew

CORKSPORT Motor Mount Insert 2010+ Mazdaspeed 3 Whiteline do this as well. Best bang for buck and not many vibs through the car

Quote Originally Posted by Wingsta View Post
    Can I retune with no engine mods for better performance?
    Have a look at the AP notes here https://static.cobbtuning.com/cobbtu..._12%20v231.pdf
    It lists the maps you can use near the end, the first 'stage one' map is for a completely stock car I believe

Sent from my evil apple using TapaCrash
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

10. Default

Thanks all I really appreciate all the help, I can't seem to see anything in that PDF that has a map upgrade for a stock engine, would love to see what diff it would make over standard. I might just email Cobb and ask lol. Thanks for the tips on the engine mount hope it's not to hard to install think mods will now go:
    1) Springs
    2) Rear Engine Mount
    3) Rear sway bar
    4) Cobb AP after first 15-20ks
    5) DP
    6) CAI
    7) Cat back exhaust

Plan is to leave it at that love my standard 18inch black rims

+1 to what RedDjunn preeviously posted . Give it some time ,get used to the car first.
    Revised order ,
    1) REM the oem one is useless
    2) Rear sway bar.
    These two above items IMO best bang for buck at this point ,cheap, easy install, and above all if you have any warranty claims in the short first few mths of your new car ,the dealer should not have issues .
    Some dealers can be bastards if you have any issues early up and may look to negate claim.
    Thereafter IMO
    3) air intake ,Do some research!
    4) DP
    5) HPFP
    6) Access port.
    Good luck with your mission ,ask and you will be rewarded .
    Way to many mods, way too much money spent,way way too much time spent = the wifes no 1 Enemy.
    But i,m Smiling

Quote Originally Posted by RedDjinn View Post
    Love your wanting to get into engine mods and get going.. MY ADVICE dont!!... give it a few thou ks before doing engine mods, treat her right get a good run in this is most important early on (change to good oils). Do handling mods or brake mods first start with RSB, engine mount, springs and shocks, camber adjusters, body bracing, aftermarket wheels (selling your rims now before many scraps/marks are on them will net u a nice price)....

I buy second hand cars for myself cuz i mod quickly, i buy new cars for the mrs cuz they stay standard.
    ^^^ where was this advise when I bought mine lol. Mate great advise from guys that know their cars, but the truth is once you start mods, be prepared to keep going! I have a 2012 4months old and started and haven't stopped SRI, TIP, BOV, DP, REM, FRONT AND REAR SWAY BARS, ECUTEK TUNE + more. Enjoy the car, meet other members, get ideas and advise! Have fun!
    It's like a tornado, inside it's own metal house

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Oldhead View Post
    +1 to what RedDjunn preeviously posted . Give it some time ,get used to the car first.
    Revised order ,
    1) REM the oem one is useless
    2) Rear sway bar.
    These two above items IMO best bang for buck at this point ,cheap, easy install, and above all if you have any warranty claims in the short first few mths of your new car ,the dealer should not have issues .
    Some dealers can be bastards if you have any issues early up and may look to negate claim.
    Thereafter IMO
    3) air intake ,Do some research!
    4) DP
    5) HPFP
    6) Access port.
    Good luck with your mission ,ask and you will be rewarded .
    Only reason I thought the Access port before the air intake in the list is I thought the CAI made the CEL come up? Hence I thought if I got the port first then I could re-tune the mods as I go, don't know if that's logical thinking. Def didn't plan to do it all straight away was just looking for a plan of attack, need to get use to the car first as I came from a 05 WRX so not use to the front wheel drive. Will get the springs and REM next month and prob the rear sway bar. Thanks again all its nice to get feedback from people who have been there and done it already.

I have the mod bug though WRX had quite a few mods on it lol hey I love cars what can i say.
    Last edited by Wingsta; 10-11-2012 at 09:05 AM.

DP will probably cause a cel... Gen 2 is a bit temperamental in that regard

15. Default

What about the CAI Sarcastic? I know the Scoobie had to get a re-tune after the CAI because of the CEL, whats funny though is the full cat back xforce system i had the WRX didn't bother the CEL at all, interesting to see some diff and some similarities with both cars and the mod setup. Would be curious to hear from anyone who has had a good play with the Access port on a 2012 model

See 2xs and get a twin DP with 400cel this will be your best option for no cel.
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Quote Originally Posted by RedDjinn View Post
    See 2xs and get a twin DP with 400cel this will be your best option for no cel.
    I can vouch for that
    2XS DP and a 400 Cat, No CEL and so much more responsive

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

18. Default

Good to know

I read a post on a US forum that said not getting a AP before any engine mods is like wiping before you poop lol. They said you can get good gains by flashing a stage 1 tune without any mods over standard so I guess that's what I wanted to know.

Either way think I'll get the AP before all the other engine mods once car has been run in a bit.

you will be fine with the SRI.
    Id do SRI/DP/HPFP then AP..
    The stg 1 tunes are a let down, my car felt livelier without it !

Stg2 is a different kettle of fish though..
    Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

20. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    you will be fine with the SRI.
    Id do SRI/DP/HPFP then AP..
    The stg 1 tunes are a let down, my car felt livelier without it !

Stg2 is a different kettle of fish though..
    Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
    Hmm that's good to know thanks