User Tag List

Thread: Oil pan bolt

Default Oil pan bolt

Hey guys, I was changing my oil and the oil pan bolt is a b**** to get off. The edges are "balding" and it's hard to get any grip! I know it's a 17mm nut, but does anyone know the exact dimensions of the bolt, I want to get a replacement so next time around it won't be this difficult.

Cheers.

Default Oil pan bolt

I changed my oil yesterday and bolt came off easily. Did u try using wd40

Default Oil pan bolt

I've done it before, its just the bolt is loosing its grip, the edges are smoothing out making I harder to get off. I want to change the bolt incase it gets to a point I can't get it off

can look at a fumoto oil drain, on the gen1 you need the small extension also. now i just turn the plug and oil pours out like a tap

worst case buy a nut splitter from supercheap auto tighten it up and use it as wrench

you're doing something wrong if the drain plug is starting to round...

but as mentioned, the fumoto drain bolt is a great investment if you are doing the servicing yourself

Default Oil pan bolt

Thanks guys, I didn't cause the rounding. Was like that when I bought the car. -.-

Yea the sump plug doesn't need to be done up very tightly at all. Only 35Nm according to my master list of torque settings. Nowhere near enough to cause it to round off, altho if someone used a spanner that was a size too big then that could explain it.

I dare say a mechanic has put it on with a rattle gun at some stage and overtightened it...

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    I dare say a mechanic has put it on with a rattle gun at some stage and overtightened it...
    They won't have rattle gunned it but they might have used a breaker bar and wacked the torque right up. I don't know who teaches these people.