User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Springs

Default Springs

Hey all I am brand new to Mazda's just picked up my my13 today . I rang king springs and pedders to lower my new ride but I was told they are both having problems with the front springs due to the MPS weight and they don't recommend it as the front will ride on the bump stops. I don't want to put coil-overs on as the car is brand new I just want to lower it a little for looks/handling. Also any suggestions on good brands of rear sway bars would be awesome

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Wingsta; 08-11-2012 at 06:47 PM.

Default Springs

Look into Eibach springs, a few members are already running these with no issues.
    As for RSB, Whiteline seems to be a popular choice. At $295, and easily installed yourself, can't go wrong!

Ok thanks Dave, ill check it out. Thanks for the help.

Get in touch with GSL Rallysport. Get a spring and shock combo, im running Kings and Bilstiens. I have no issues with bumpstops, rides and handles fantastic!

I recon that they are having trouble with the dampening rates of the shock. Cuz the dampening is soft using a heavier spring theres no control and will eventually **** the shock. If they drop the spring rates you will hit the bump stops......
    Last edited by RedDjinn; 09-11-2012 at 12:54 PM.

5. Default

Hey WINGSTA - Did you end up buying any springs for your car, as im in the exact same boat as you, literally about to buy 1inch lower kings, but reading this, i dont want to now...?/?/

6. Default

Ive bought Bilstein B8s and king spring combo, (yet to install it) but you really need to match a spring to a shock for it to work as intended.

In terms of RSB ive got the James Barone RSB and very happy with it...has 3 settings and is an excellent price. Edge autosport have 10% off atm on JBR products (amongst other things)...look at the black day thread. The RSB was the best bang for buck mod I have purchased to date.

Quote Originally Posted by allo80 View Post
    Ive bought Bilstein B8s and king spring combo, (yet to install it) but you really need to match a spring to a shock for it to work as intended.

In terms of RSB ive got the James Barone RSB and very happy with it...has 3 settings and is an excellent price. Edge autosport have 10% off atm on JBR products (amongst other things)...look at the black day thread. The RSB was the best bang for buck mod I have purchased to date.
    Look at rear camber arms, you will be good served with them. I have mazdaspeed 3 rear camber arms and i need more + camber, when i hand my car over to Tune House soon the wheel align my car again with more + camber (i have inside tyres camber wear and this will help fix a cornering issue i have aswell)
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Quote Originally Posted by ONDMND View Post
    Hey WINGSTA - Did you end up buying any springs for your car, as im in the exact same boat as you, literally about to buy 1inch lower kings, but reading this, i dont want to now...?/?/
    Hey mate I didn't I'm actually going to get the coilovers from 2XS it actually works out a better price than going a spring shock setup and adjustability can't be bad right? Lol

Agree with Dave - fitted the Eibachs and Whiteline RSB along with front strut brace 2 years and 35,000 K's ago and no problems - firmer ride but handling improved out of sight.

Quote Originally Posted by DisturbedDave View Post
    Look into Eibach springs, a few members are already running these with no issues.
    As for RSB, Whiteline seems to be a popular choice. At $295, and easily installed yourself, can't go wrong!

Default Re: Springs

I'm moving away from coilovers to Kings/B8's like a few here. I found the sacrifice handling/comfort too much.

The Kings are considered Low and Super Low's so I hope to the cars stance will be preserved.

But RSB, front and rear end links should tie things back down nicely.

Sent from my Huge Samsung Note 2

Not all coil over are hard and uncomfortable. Also they have adjustments that help. However you want something like compression and rebound adjustment. Just rebound is not enough. Also all King spring are low for the MPS. The second problem is that they are progressive, so the first few coils are a lot softer than your factory springs, the rest of it a bit harder. The center of gravity will be lower so the car will feel more sporty. The shock absorbers are more important than springs especially on a gen1 MPS.

I am too lazy to read the whole thing, so I will just put in my 2c. (I may be reposting info, its just my opinion.... my opinion just happens to be right )

I went with H&R springs. They will lower the car front and back 15-20mm, making it just the right height and still usable, and it also bumps the spring rate up a notch to stop the car hitting the bump stops (because you are losing that 15-20mm of travel).

Coils are great for a WRX or EVO thats 5-10 years old where the stiff suspension makes up for the chassis's age/wear/tear. But for a new daily springs are fine, and aslong as you don't drop it more then 20mm then the shocks should adjust fine and not suffer premature wear.

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    I'm moving away from coilovers to Kings/B8's like a few here. I found the sacrifice handling/comfort too much.

The Kings are considered Low and Super Low's so I hope to the cars stance will be preserved.

But RSB, front and rear end links should tie things back down nicely.

Sent from my Huge Samsung Note 2
    I spoke to Kings and they told me there springs won't suit the gen 2 on the front it will ride on the bumps stops? You talk to them mate? You don't think coilovers can be setup for everyday drivability? I mean I only did 18,000 Kms last year so not like I do a lot of Kms anyway. Only thing I miss about my wrx is the handling so hopefully the coilovers will help. I think being able to adjust them for when I get to go on a cruise with the MPS brissy peeps for more handling and then adjust them back would be a plus, but maybe I'm just justifying to myself lol
    Last edited by Wingsta; 24-11-2012 at 09:00 AM.

14. Default Springs

I think if you go kings you need an aftermarket shock to go with it. Kings drop is approx 30mm

15. Default

Quote Originally Posted by allo80 View Post
    I think if you go kings you need an aftermarket shock to go with it. Kings drop is approx 30mm
    Arghh prob what they meant

I have not seen any springs to suit Gen1 MPS to be perfect- belive me I looked for it for long time. In my opinion only custom made set will work. If you lower your MPS by 10-15mm it will be ok if you get springs that are at least 40% stiffer BUT NOT PROGRESSIVE rate but linear. Also you will need to change the shock absorbers to something like KONI Sports because the ride with factory shocks will be bumpy and uncomfortable. Also every person that I know that had TEIN coilovers also different series had leaks in them and had to get it replaced or repaired. I always had koni yellows and never had any problems. Kings springs are to soft and too low- all of them. Factory MPS springs are to soft and shocks have wrong valving in them. Also factory Bridgestones do not give you quite and comfortable ride which makes the problem worse. There are ways of improving the feel of the car without changing suspension components that cost a lot. Sound insulation placed in the right place will work like magic, so your car will not sound like empty tin can when it rides over potholes. I have done it in my and it works well.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G View Post
    I have not seen any springs to suit Gen1 MPS to be perfect- belive me I looked for it for long time. In my opinion only custom made set will work. If you lower your MPS by 10-15mm it will be ok if you get springs that are at least 40% stiffer BUT NOT PROGRESSIVE rate but linear. Also you will need to change the shock absorbers to something like KONI Sports because the ride with factory shocks will be bumpy and uncomfortable. Also every person that I know that had TEIN coilovers also different series had leaks in them and had to get it replaced or repaired. I always had koni yellows and never had any problems. Kings springs are to soft and too low- all of them. Factory MPS springs are to soft and shocks have wrong valving in them. Also factory Bridgestones do not give you quite and comfortable ride which makes the problem worse. There are ways of improving the feel of the car without changing suspension components that cost a lot. Sound insulation placed in the right place will work like magic, so your car will not sound like empty tin can when it rides over potholes. I have done it in my and it works well.
    Agree with most of what you said. King springs are the hardest the MPS has off the shelf for ur cars, they will also do custom springs for a $$ ... Sound deadning = win get the Dynamat superlite only add a couple of kgs, i have done all my cars with it.
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

I wish Pedders told me that!
    Having said that, i haven't had any issues ... yet lol

19. Default

Getting my coil-overs fitted tomorrow by 2XS getting excited

Quote Originally Posted by Wingsta View Post
    Getting my coil-overs fitted tomorrow by 2XS getting excited
    The real question now is... how low can you go

Any reason for Coils > Springs?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast