User Tag List

Thread: Valves cleaned

Default Valves cleaned

Well I finally got around to cleaning my valves (theres one for you sickos lol), looked better than some of the photos I've seen, some valves were worse than others obviously. New gasket was also put between the IM and block.
    I tryed metho (as recommended by Cobb ie. denatured alcohol) and found it didn't really do anything, I left it overnight as well and vacuumed out the next day.. The best thing I found was Nulon throttle body cleaner from Repco, left this for an hour, or overnight where I could and vacuumed it out, got most of it. The rest was cleaned using steel brush extensions. Keep in mind I don't have an air compressor or walnut blaster, if I did it would've been ten times easier and quicker. I have also installed new injector seals (for those wondering you do not need the 'special' injector removal tool, I had 3 stuck injectors and wiggled them all out by hand (thanks ax)) and an oil catch can onto my horn bracket so will be interesting to see what it catches. Yet to start the car (fingers crossed) will report on any butt dyno impressions...

For reference, this was cleaned around 88,000km

Before:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	before.JPG 
Views:	258 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	12911

After:

Name:	after.JPG 
Views:	246 
Size:	111.2 KB 
ID:	12912

Catch can:

Name:	nuvevuzy.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	12915
    Last edited by dazza; 08-11-2012 at 09:16 AM.
    '05 6 MPS | BNR S3 | JBR 3.5" Intake | Corksport Airbox | CP-E 3.25" TMIC | M2 DP | CP-E CBE | CP-E/TT Diff Mounts | Autotech HPFP Internals | JBR REM, PMM, TMM | SURE Shortcut | SURE Countershift | SURE Anchors | Denso ITV22s | JBR TIGs | EGR Delete | Coolant Bypass | PTP Inj Seals | MD OCC | H&R Springs | Bilstein B8 Shocks | Car-LED Tails | Badgeless Grille | 6000k HIDs | OZ Ultraleggera 18x8 +48

Nice let us know how it goes

i cleaned my valves this morning on the toilet and again at lunch time

Default Valves cleaned

Valves or bowel?

Peter "SLIXX"

It was only a matter of time lol

Default Valves cleaned

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    It was only a matter of time lol
    I waited an appropriate amount of time
    23mins

Peter "SLIXX"

dazza what oil change interval have you been using?

Nice one Daz!
    i was going to do this but my meth kit did it for me

Default Valves cleaned

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    dazza what oil change interval have you been using?
    5000km since I got the car

Default Valves cleaned

Quote Originally Posted by rayd View Post
    Nice one Daz!
    i was going to do this but my meth kit did it for me
    Yeah I really need to get onto that! Looks the goods
    '05 6 MPS | BNR S3 | JBR 3.5" Intake | Corksport Airbox | CP-E 3.25" TMIC | M2 DP | CP-E CBE | CP-E/TT Diff Mounts | Autotech HPFP Internals | JBR REM, PMM, TMM | SURE Shortcut | SURE Countershift | SURE Anchors | Denso ITV22s | JBR TIGs | EGR Delete | Coolant Bypass | PTP Inj Seals | MD OCC | H&R Springs | Bilstein B8 Shocks | Car-LED Tails | Badgeless Grille | 6000k HIDs | OZ Ultraleggera 18x8 +48

thats alot of cabon build for just 88,000km. good to see you left the surface rough still.

a lot of people seem to use Seafoam in the states Sea Foam | Sea Foam Spray | General Content - Sea Foam Spray

had a quick google search, cant seem to find anywhere that sells it in Aus

Quote Originally Posted by lup15 View Post
    a lot of people seem to use Seafoam in the states Sea Foam | Sea Foam Spray | General Content - Sea Foam Spray

had a quick google search, cant seem to find anywhere that sells it in Aus
    Seafoam is esentially the same as the ford or subaru upper engine cleaner which I tried (Cant get seafoam here). It was OK, but it foams and doesnt seem to clean as well as the throttle body cleaner (straight liquid) IMO
    Alot of guys also use b12 chemtool which is a straight liquid with good results, also cant get that here.

5000km since I got the car
    That's the problem right there.

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    That's the problem right there.
    I actually thought my valves looked pretty good compared to some Ive seen.. Much of a muchness I guess.
    Leave oil for 10,000km and it looks like utter shite, or change it at 5000km like a lot of us do for less wear, no way I would leave my oil for 10,000km running high boost. Cant win lol

think EGR block off and OCC also helps keep the valves cleaner. But eventually, they'll need a manual clean. if only taking the intake manifold off was just a 5 min job, this job would be much more enticing to do more often.

Leave oil for 10,000km and it looks like utter shite, or change it at 5000km like a lot of us do for less wear, no way I would leave my oil for 10,000km running high boost. Cant win lol
    That rationale only applies to old-style engines running an open crank cases with mineral oil. Your engine with a closed crank case running synthetic oil is a very different story. Changing at oil 10,000km should not increase wear. The polymers in synthetic oil are good for more than double the recommended OCI. Change the oil filter at 5000km if it makes you feel better, but unless your oil is contaminated by fuel or water, changing it too often is abusing the engine because not only is the intake being contaminated but the exhaust system is receiving excessive carbon deposits and o2 sensor life is being shortened. It's your choice, but if you really want your modern DI engine to remain in top condition you need to make the OCI work for you, not against you.

Gone to Volvo